Attachments: Spike Aerator and lift

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Attachments: Spike Aerator and lift

Post by Clank »

Hi folks,
Thought I'd share my spike aerator project, in case any of you are looking for projects over the winter. The yard soil at our place is heavy and compacts quite a bit, so I was wondering how I could aerate it. A conventional aerator would do the trick, but towing it like a trailer is just impractical as my yard is small with a lot of obstacles. In the end, it struck me that I could lift and drop it as necessary to get around easier. I bought a Brinly spike aerator and attached two chains to the weight box. These chains would go to a pipe slipped over the rear implement lift pin where my hydraulic lift would hoist the whole lot up into the air. The Brinly attaches to the tow hitch as it normally would where it acts as a pivot. I added some washers to take up the extra clearance and added a box of dumbbells for added ground penetration. It's so easy to use: lift it up, back up into the spot where I start my run, drop it and drive forward. There is enough slack in the chains that I can make gentle turns too. It works well, and I've attached some pics. Enjoy!
Screenshot 2021-10-12 111549.png
Screenshot 2021-10-12 111549.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1044 times
IMG_20210410_162941061_HDR (2).jpg
IMG_20210410_162941061_HDR (2).jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1044 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Attachments: Spike Aerator and lift

Post by dag1450 »

Very nice! Tom S. will eat this attachment up! He loves to drive around his yard aimlessly and poke holes in everything! Thanks for the pictures
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Clank

Post by Clank »

Thanks! LOL! :beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ha! dag texted that he had called me out somewhere! I've been lounging around a bit ill, haven't been keeping up.

Mike, nice job! I went for the plug style aerator. The spike style is really most effective for slits for seed to drop into. To truly aerate clay soil the plug style is needed. That being said, I'd also like to have a spike style, and I've contemplated combining two into one unit.

Here is my thread of plug aerator married to my 3-point hitch. Not real elegant, but it works: http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/foru ... r#p40502

Someday I'd like to get around to fabricating a proper 3-point mount for it. In fairness, I did do that for my electric spreader!: http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/foru ... r#p42241
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Clank

Post by Clank »

Hey, thanks! I hear ya. I would have preferred the plug style, but this aerator was on sale so I couldn't pass it up. (It was about half price). I over seed every year, so it should work well with that.
I checked out both links, and well done! I love to see people's creativity!