What do we do????

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

What do we do????

Post by Dave C »

How can we get more traffic here? What do we need to do? I try every day to point people over here.
There is a wealth of info here.... but not the traffic?

The forum costs about 250 bucks a year to run, Domains, hosting etc.

In 2 years i have received $150 bucks towards $500 in costs.
Which i am forever gratefull to those whom have contributed.
But I simply cant keep footing this much of the bill.

I would hate to install advertisements but im not sure that would even cover things.

I have visited some other sites and found the Advertisements Very annoying!! but they seem to have more traffic? i am just lost.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: What do we do????

Post by Tom Scott »

I'd start by clearing out the donation history at the bottom of the Board Index from previous years. (Keep dag's info, he just donated today, and anyone else that donates before you get to clearing out the previous years info). This way members can see who is current with helping. No reason to keep info on who donated in previous years, bills are real time. Also update the goal bar, etc. I'd make the goal to cover your previous years cost, to make you whole.

Start a new topic in Forum Accountability at the beginning of each year that shows the members the costs that will be due and the current total donation balance against it. Although we have much fewer active members, I don't think the ones that remain will leave you holding the bag. I think the transparency and the honest ask will bring results. I'd expect those that are active to donate an initial amount and see how it adds up. If the initial donations don't cover the costs, then as adults we should all pitch in a second round to meet the need.

Most of the world has moved to Facebook. Some like me wouldn't use Facebook even if you paid us. I know some other sites get way more traffic, but I like our family here, however small. Some forums that have lots of traffic aren't always so friendly. They can become soap operas that people attend just to be snarky. I'm still signing up about two people a week, but the world is full of lurkers. I'm fine if they lurk, but they should throw a few dollars in if they are getting value from the site.

What we have is small, but it is quality. I might have missed donating last year, so I'll go rectify that right now! (See, you ask, you get! :lol:)

And lastly, I, and I'm sure the other members, appreciate your efforts to keep this going for all these years. It may seem thankless, but your efforts are appreciated. It's especially nice to have you actively posting on projects again. Please don't lose heart, and stay the course!
Tom :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

PS - Maybe rather than "clearing out previous year's history", have a section at the top that shows who donated "This Year" and how much. I think it's important for members to realize how much (or how little) has been donated for the current year against current costs.
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I agree with Tom about folks going to F-Book, but the other thing is that like other groups I'm in, it seems like many have lost interest in anything that requires work or is considered old. I work on a site that answers auto questions. We get a lot of traffic, but many of the questions are looking for the cheap silver bullet or if they should just junk the vehicle for a new one. Many have developed the idea that you don't repair anything, just replace it. Same goes for our Cubs and many antique tractors and engine groups. There are a core group of "old" guard who are still in it but not a lot of newer blood to keep things going due to the throw it away attitude.
Perhaps ads wouldn't be a bad thing but only ones related to Cubs, like the folks selling parts or related items, Pricing for ads wouldn't need to be that high, just enough to help with the costs, the paid ones could be on the sites pages instead of hidden in the vendors list. Or possibly a F-Book page that directs them here for more information? Something like an introduction page that hints at all that's here to get them to visit.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks again to all who keep this site up and running! Very quick as I'm late for work.
If it's about the money...then regular viewers need to give a little bit to help out. I look at it as my "movie ticket" that I haven't gone to in like 10 years.
If it's about traffic...I have been hearing the word Facebook for some years now. Is it possible to make a site there that could basically be an ad for our site?
Just a couple thoughts
Thanks again!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

I have to say that I'm shocked and disappointed that after Dave's appeal that we've only had a few donations. $250 a year is chump change split among all of us. There's at least 15 of us that are semi-regular posters here, and many more lurkers. All of us are getting something out of this forum, or we wouldn't be visiting. If just 25 people donated $10 each year, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's so little money, it isn't worth discussing the hassle of advertising.

Man-up. Near the bottom of the Board Index (home screen) there is the donor bar. Click on the "Donate" icon with the flashing heart. We're only $55 away from this year's obligation, so if just six people donate $10 each we'll have met this year's obligation. I'd like to see us go over by some, as Dave has incurred costs in past years that he hasn't included. Honestly, we should go over by $100 to get Dave closer to whole.

So, all of you, posters and lurkers, be a man and click the donate button. Give $10 and get rid of the guilt you should be feeling about right now. You can't even buy lunch for $10 anymore. If you're willing to leave Dave holding the bag over $10 a year, you should be ashamed of yourself.

The donate icon takes you to a PayPal link. You don't need a PayPal account, you can use a credit card through PayPal, so there's no excuse not to donate. It's every bit as secure as everything else you buy for yourself online.
<><

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Thanks for the support.... i think we have past the goalpost!
FYI here is a snapshot of the forum billing
So the typical is 14 bucks a month, there is one for 23 cause they changed the PHP and if you dont play with the Jones boys they charge you more. So that has been fixed. Also the one large one every Sept. thats the yearly pull for all the Domains. I think i can get this number down some more i will work on that.
ionos.jpg
ionos.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

I will be making a donation soon. It's been tough keeping 2 houses warm in winter. 1 is up by Steve, so he knows that deal. I should also say thanks to Dave for paying our way, we all appreciate you!