Not what I was expecting

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Not what I was expecting

Post by Klapatta »

So back at the end of January I was pushing some real heavy wet snow uphill. The machine came to a stop. My expectations were that I had sheared a spirol pin. Well so today I had to get the snow tires off anyway. The left side went Ok.
Then I moved over to the right side. Whoops.
DSCN0050.JPG
DSCN0050.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 2558 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Not what I was expecting

Post by Tom Scott »

Well, that sucks. Sorry you now have an unexpected spring chore. Post up the repair pics when you get into it. Because I know, you are going to get into it! Hopefully a clean break without any shrapnel inside.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The worst is already over. A strong magnet that I had placed inside years ago did it's job well. No other damage. The shaft stump can live inside the bottom of the axle housing where it will not bother anything.
The oil is real clean and I intend to reuse most of it. Not bad for a machine that's always outside.
DSCN0051.JPG
DSCN0051.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2549 times
DSCN0052.JPG
DSCN0052.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2549 times

Cyclops1862
First and Last Name: Jay Fetters

Post by Cyclops1862 »

Ouch!!! But the nice thing is that Dave Kamp has posted an easy to follow, step by step process on how to stuff a Ford limited slip in there!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ken, you are truly a "man of action", no waiting around or wringing of hands, just dive in and make it right!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Cyclops1862 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:48 pm
Ouch!!! But the nice thing is that Dave Kamp has posted an easy to follow, step by step process on how to stuff a Ford limited slip in there!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:

Y'know, I probably have a couple spare right-hand axleshafts if you want 'em... I always broke the LEFT side... dunno why, but it won't happen again!!! (it'll be something else! :lol: )
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Thank you Tom.Today was nice but by Tuesday evening there's 7 days of rain in the forecast heading our way so grading season is almost here.
Last axle I broke it made a loud bang. Same machine, other side. No such noise like that this time. 23x 10.5s with two link chains with cross bars and 236 pounds of added weight not including me are pretty much border line excessive for stock axles I suppose. If you may notice when I did that one up I went with the heavy cast pumpkin, I think from a 1200?
I'm taking Monday off and will convert the 126 over from snow thrower to mowing while the weather plays nice for now.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well it seemed to work just fine but better it is to test on something.
10 and 1/2 tons of stone should do the trick.
DSCN0053.JPG
DSCN0053.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2512 times
Pushes better than that Jan. snow for sure.
DSCN0055.JPG
DSCN0055.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2512 times
Yeah, it works
DSCN0056.JPG
DSCN0056.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 2512 times

Cyclops1862

Post by Cyclops1862 »

Nice work getting her back in action! :beer: I have to ask though, why the gravel behind the house? Is this a base for a future project, more parking? I'm just curious...

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It's a good question Jay and a decision that I did not take without over 20 years thinking about :?
While I have never gotten water in the basement water does tend to drain poorly on that side, it runs down off the hill and parks at the first flat place it finds. While on the Eastern side that nearby hill makes for a very shady area with all the surrounding trees and it's always been difficult to keep grass there. Then there's the matter of the driveway itself. It's quite narrow in that area again due to the hill side. Finding room for placing snow can be a real issue. I can't grade back into that, it's solid rock underneath. So with what little grass there was there people tend to drive up onto. Then I yell about that and have go out there and fix the tire ruts.
I'm getting older and have to start thinking now how to cut back excessive upkeep :lol:

Cyclops1862

Post by Cyclops1862 »

Completely makes sense now!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Hey. The blade turned all rusty.
DSCN0079_01.JPG
DSCN0079_01.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2323 times