When to engage PTO on a 782

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

When to engage PTO on a 782

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Hello, I am in the process of overseeing my lawn in hopes of actually growing one this year! When towing an aerator and/or a broadcast spreader do I need to engage the PTO? I have taken the mower deck off for now. I ran the tractor with a spreader in tow and the PTO off. It seemed to run rough and engine sounded like it was surging. It has a Kohler Command V twin 18hp. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Rich
:beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: When to engage PTO on a 782

Post by Tom Scott »

No, there is no need to engage the pto when it isn't needed to operate something.

The roughness and surging are usually indicating a lean fuel condition. The roughness and surging are typical symptoms of a partially clogged carb from bad gas. The surging in particular indicates a lean condition, which a partially clogged jet will cause. Make sure you have fresh gas, especially if you are using gas poisoned with ethanol. If that is the only gas available, make sure you dose every can with Stabil before you fill it. Store it tightly capped in an area that doesn't get temperature swings or sunlight on the can. Metal safety cans are best.

If fresh gas doesn't cure the problem, it's time to drop the carb bowl and clean it out. Better fuel management going forward will save a lot of heartache.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you Tom. I have only used ethanol free gas since I’ve had the machine. I buy Stewart’s Gas, which was highly recommended by another on the forum. I did also treat the gas with Stabil when stored over the winter. I had changed the oil and filter and spark plugs late last mowing season too. Not sure if there is a fuel filter that I can also change. I do not recall seeing one. Hoping that dropping the carb bowl and cleaning out will be fairly easy to do, as I will attempt that next.
Cheers!
Rich

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Rich, it sounds like you are doing the right things fuel wise.

Shine a flashlight into the fuel tank. Where the fuel outlet is there should be a "fuel sock", just a conical screen over the fuel outlet. On my 1872 I pulled that grommet assembly out from the bottom and cut the screen off (after draining the tank, of course). The fuel socks get clogged and can cause a lean condition. Then reinstall the grommet without the screen.

During the same project (do not wait!) add an inline fuel filter. I'm a fan of the typical small disposable automotive type, they hold so much dirt they'll likely outlast you! Fuel filters are one of those things people change but they are rarely the problem, they generally hold a lot of dirt. But... The fuel sock at the base of the tank is known for getting clogged. I'd ditch that fuel screen and add the fuel filter as your next step.

If that doesn't fix it, if you have an adjustable carb, you can then try temporarily opening up the mixture screws while the engine is running at high idle ("full throttle"). Sometimes a tiny piece of dirt can get held up at the needle and it will flush through with a temporary opening of the needle to allow it to pass.

Then, if still no love, time to remove the carb and clean it out properly. This is considered a "carb rebuild", but it's nothing more than taking it apart and rinsing it out and blowing air through all the holes and reassembling with new gaskets. Pretty easy stuff on these little carbs.

Keep us posted as to how it's going, you'll get it fixed!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you Tom. Appreciate all the trouble shooting advice. When I started her and ran yesterday she appeared to run much better. I may just drain the fuel tank anyway and do as you suggest with the fuel sock and adding the in-line fuel filter.
Thanks again!

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I run Stewarts booze free myself. The common issue I find with the fuel here in NY is that if the tractor sets over the winter they still get condensation in the carb. On the first start of the year I usually pop the carb off, blast everything out with cleaner and run it. Another thing is to check the plugs, if mine sets the ground electrode gets a bit rusty, so I pull those, clean them, change the oil and have a runner.
The engine should run fine with or without the PTO engaged,
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

Does you 782 have a working fuel shut off and you are using it? I have a fuel shut off in all my tractors. I turn the fuel off and leave the tractor run out of gas. The owner's manual says to use fresh gas( less than 30 days old). Gas over 30 days should be replaced with fresh gas. How and where you store your gas makes a big difference too. I've been using plastic container(s) for 20 years with no issues. I do not leave my containers sit on cement floors. Most of the year there is a good chance your floor is cold and damp. My fuel containers sit on a board or on a shelf. I also use a fuel stabilizer when I fill my fuel containers. The additives in your fuel will separate when you are not using fuel. 2 cycle gas is a good example. When you pour 2 cycle gas you can get just gas coming out at first. Shake your fuel container before you pour it will have gas and oil coming out together. Some of the components that make up your gas are heavier than others and will sink to the bottom of your fuel container or carb. I shake my fuel container(s) before I add any fuel to my small engines.
I've been running E10 gas for 20 years with no problems. It's your choice to use $.60 to $.80 more expensive gas. The majority of the problems are a fuel storage-handling problem.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thanks again for the tips on fuel , additives and fuel storage. Very helpful info going forward.

I do believe I have a fuel shut off , but will check. Not quite sure what you mean Merk by turning off the fuel and letting the tractor run out of gas?

Will check the plugs and electrodes too and clean.

The tractor appears to be running well now. It does seem to race a bit when going up a slope while pulling and aerator with weight on it and/or a full broadcast spreader.

Thanks
Rich

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

rjarvis1961 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:58 pm
I do believe I have a fuel shut off , but will check. Not quite sure what you mean Merk by turning off the fuel and letting the tractor run out of gas?
With the fuel valve in the shut off position I will run the engine until the carb is out of fuel.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Got it, thanks!!