550 lb Capacity Hydraulic Tractor Lift

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
rjarvis1961
First and Last Name: Richard Jarvis

550 lb Capacity Hydraulic Tractor Lift

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Hello,
I am looking into purchasing a 550 lb capacity Hydrolic Cub Cadet tractor lift with 24” span. Can anyone tell me please if this will work for my 782? Is it a good investment for cleaning/maintaining the deck etc? Thanks!!
:beer:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 550 lb Capacity Hydraulic Tractor Lift

Post by dag1450 »

That's sounds pretty neat. Some pictures of the unit would be nice. Those kinds of things can be great for cleaning and maintenance but when you start talking about the mower deck maintenance sometimes they can get in the way if it has a big platform. Deck cleaning is best when you pick up from one end only...that can give you a wide open area for scraping and blade changes. Post some pictures so we can see cause always on the lookout for something like that as well.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Thank you . Not sure how to successfully include a photo from an ad? Tried to copy and paste , but no go. It appears from the image though that there would be no obstructions with the deck and the lift. When you say picking up the deck from one end only for maintenance, how is that done?
I will attempt again to include a picture of the lift I am talking about . Thanks!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

63298_W3.jpg
63298_W3.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Just wondering if this is similar to what you are looking at? These are ok. I got one from a friend for supper cheap and it was a screw jack, that aspect of it made it basically unusable in my opinion. I did hook an impact wrench to it one time but didn't care for that either. It just took way too long to get up and down. Idk... maybe others can weigh in on what they use. Let us know if this is what you are looking at?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

rjarvis1961

Post by rjarvis1961 »

Yes, that’s it. There’s a Cub Cadet model one that I was looking at. Thanks!

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

So... in the long term, hydraulics make the lift much easier than a screw jack. These things are handy for a FEW things, but they're limited. As you noted, unstable, and the reason is simple- the platform it SITS on, is narrower than the tires it's lifting from... hence, it has a very skinny footprint. If you want more stability, it needs outriggers substantially WIDER than what it's lifting.

From a useful standpoint, it can only lift up one end of the machine at a time. If you wanna lay down with a wrench and take the mower blades off, it works... If you're doing any other work, it really doesn't give great access to anything you need to reach. If you're thinking of changing wheels and tires, it doesn't work there, either, as that's where it's lifting FROM.

The Cub Cadet is a heavy beastie, particularly the rear, so you really won't find it useful there.

If you want the machine to be easier to work on without laying on the ground, the way to do it, is to lift the whole thing straight up. When I used to do lots of it, I just made a stout knee-high table and ramps, and just drove or pulled up onto it, then I used a small floor jack to lift up and block the frame and transaxle onto the table, then pulled the ramps away to open up access.

Nowdays, I use a forklift... but not everyone can keep one of those around their garage... :?
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.