Cub Cadet 147

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
lonzo147cadet
First and Last Name: Paul Anderson

Cub Cadet 147

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Hello All:

I am new to this website/forum, as I bought myself a restored 147 this past June. I think these old lawn tractors are better than anything made today, but I also know they are old and hence can be troublesome at times. Which leads me to my question.

I've been using this tractor to mow my recently acquired third of an acre in Rossford, OH--across the Maumee River from Toledo. Well, the engine started acting up for the first time a couple days ago while mowing my lawn. I thought it might be bad gas, so I drained the tank and added new gas. I also cleaned the outer sponge air filter and added some Sea Foam to the gas. Lastly, as I ran the engine with the filter housing removed, I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. None of these things made the engine run better.

Upon further examination, I am pretty certain the problem is the governor. The engine drops in RPMs and then goes back to normal RPMs repeatedly. I noticed that the governor lever (nomenclature?) moves back and forth on its own while the engine is idling. I have done some reading in my manual, as well as have watched a few vids on youtube to better understand how governors work (I'm not a mechanic). The engine is a new 14HP Kohler that replaced the original, so I'm doubtful that the internal gears or fly weights are the issue. But I can't say for sure. If I cannot troubleshoot this problem, can anyone in the NW Ohio area recommend somebody who works on these old lawn tractors? I am fine doing some basic maintenance on my Cub, but I gotta find a guy who works on old stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul A.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Cub Cadet 147

Post by BigMike »

Paul,

First off, welcome. We’ll be nice to you for a while and then when we call you a chuckle head or similar you know you passed the initiation. ;)

Second, download a K series Kohler manual. In it you will find the procedure to do the governor initial setting. If that works great, if not we’ll keep looking.

Third, if you get to a point it is more than you are comfortable with there are a number of members in that general area that may be able to help.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Paul. Thanks for posting. I would love to see some pictures of your 147. I have been loosely looking for one for years. I basically have one...but those extra 2 horses over my 127 would make all the difference I don't know why..lol. I do think the electric lift would be fun... although problematic. Does your have the electric lift?
Oh...and by the way.. Big Mike can be trouble at times. He hasn't passed any initiation yet into this group. I guess he thinks he's in ...but not yet. He still has to pass some tests that Tom and I have prepared. Tom is writing them down as we speak.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Paul - Likely what is happening is that the governor is trying it's best to do its job to counteract a lean condition. The governor attempts to keep a constant rpm. In a lean condition, the engine starts to lose rpm, so the governor compensates by opening the carb throttle more, so the engine then responds with a slight over-rev and the unsettled rpm just continues to occur.

If it is a lean condition, it is likely caused by dirt or some other foreign material in the carb jet which can't be cleaned by spraying carb cleaner through the throttle. Seafoam is a cleaner, which will get to the jet, but won't dissolve physical dirt.

I am not intimately familiar with the carbs on these, but as it is old before excessive regulation it should have externally adjustable jets, in particularly the "Low" jet. (Carbs have a "HIgh" jet for the power circuit when the carb is opened up more and a "Low" circuit which is the primary feed for "HIgh Idle" before you apply a load.)

Download the manual as dag suggests. Review the carb tuning. If it is just a small blockage, sometimes you can open up the Low jet just half or 3/4 turn temporarily to flush the dirt away while the engine is running, then close it back to where it should be. (Counter-clockwise is "loosening", hence opening the jet more.) Upon tuning you might find it was just set a bit too close and needs to be permanently and 1/8 turn more open. That''s why they're adjustable, sometimes they need adjusting...

Pretty much every carb is designed so that the low jet resides near the base where it bolts on since the low jet generally feeds its fuel low right at the throttle blade, but refer to the manual.

If temporarily opening the low jet doesn't flush it out, then the carb will need to be opened up and cleaned. Not hard, but depends on experience and skill. The manual will help guide your comfort level.

Take a shot at it and let us know how it's going.

PS, dag likes to call out me and Mike and keep our little slap-boxing fest active, so Kudos to him for continuing to stir the pot! Sometimes we are lucky enough to see Mike come back and pin dag to the mat!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

dag1450 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Oh...and by the way.. I can be trouble at times. I haven't passed any initiation yet into this group. I guess I thinks I'm in ...but not yet. I still has to pass some tests that Tom and Big Mike have prepared. Tom is writing them down as we speak.
Fixed it for you puddin head!

P.S.
Ohio plow day is 9/24 & 25 in West Independence just east of Findlay on county road 23. Great chance to meet the Gonyas, Lisa and Dale Merkle(Kohler guru), maybe(hopefully) CubRick, and the entire assortment of mixed nuts.......in fact rumors are going around that Vince is coming up from South Carolina. This is a gathering of the finest Cub people you will ever meet and is a fantastic time!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

What happened here? Where is the original poster? I guess he didn't want to be initiated.......

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Fellas,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your very helpful troubleshooting suggestions. I'm in the process of moving back to Toledo (my birth town) from Columbus, and I don't always have ready internet access. I'm currently at a Columbus library using one of their computers.

When I am back in Toledo, I will post of some pics of my new old lawn tractor, and let you know how my fiddling with the carb and governor goes. And please don't hold back in the initiation and hazing. I deserve whatever comes my way. I can take it. Just don't take my Cadet. I am developing a relationship with it.

So far, I have enjoyed mowing with it, and I know it needs some attention outside of the issue I have already mentioned. The resto was a decent one--mostly because the engine is new--but it still needs more work. For example, I need to replace the throttle lever/control cable, because the fellow who resto'd it used the original. He cut a few corners, so I am working to improve what needs it. I have already replaced the seat with one I bought from Hamilton Bob's.

I have the manuals (operator's and service) that I purchased on ebay, and I will buy some other other maintenance parts as I ready this Cadet for overwintering. This machine was restored in '20, but it was used in '21 and part of this past spring. I bought it in June up in Livonia, MI.

Something that I thought I would note is how heavy these old tractors are. Before I bought this one, I had looked at a 127 (which I should have actually bought instead because it is nicer) as well as a few modern riding mowers such as Toro, Craftsman, and Troy-Bilt. None of the modern machines come close to the durability of these old steeds. I'm glad to have what I have, but I am in the learning stages of maintenance. I'm not one born with mechanical aptitude, but I have learned some things from having owned a 1946 airplane (Globe Swift) and a 1940 Plymouth Coupe.

Expect to hear from me in the coming weeks. Thanks again. Paul Anderson

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh ok no problem. Sounds like your doing a lot now. A library computer...wow.. that dedication. Lol. I use my phone for most reading and updates on this .and other websites. Please tell me you have a smart phone? That airplane sounds cool too and we have a spot for that chat too, it's a sub title called the coffee shop.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Paul,
Rest easy in that traffic has slowed here and you’re ok.
BTW it takes Dag awhile to catch up anyway so t a l a k s l o w l y a n d h e ‘ l l k e e p u p.

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

dag1450 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Welcome Paul. Thanks for posting. I would love to see some pictures of your 147. I have been loosely looking for one for years. I basically have one...but those extra 2 horses over my 127 would make all the difference I don't know why..lol. I do think the electric lift would be fun... although problematic. Does your have the electric lift?
Oh...and by the way.. Big Mike can be trouble at times. He hasn't passed any initiation yet into this group. I guess he thinks he's in ...but not yet. He still has to pass some tests that Tom and I have prepared. Tom is writing them down as we speak.
The only thing you,Mike or I have passed here is putrid gas. Although Mike's is rumored to be occasionally lumpy.

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Well, no, I don't own a smart phone and never will. Hate 'em.

I still intend to get photos of my Cub up soon--maybe this weekend.

As for this carb-governor issue, I think I have it licked. I reset the carb hi speed screw and idle screw to factory, fired up the motor, and it ran well. I think I turned the hi speed in a quarter turn, and it ran better. Mowed the lawn and it did not act up. I have a feeling I will have to tweak it a bit over the next couple mowings, but the governor is not "hunting" and trying to make up for a too lean or too rich condition. It's pretty smooth for the moment.

I'll be mowing again tomorrow, so I will see how she runs. I will be sure to have a screwdriver nearby!

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

"The only thing you, Mike or I have passed here is putrid gas. Although Mike's is rumored to be occasionally lumpy."
:o
No lumps here!! :lol:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

lonzo147cadet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:19 pm
Well, no, I don't own a smart phone and never will. Hate 'em.

I still intend to get photos of my Cub up soon--maybe this weekend.

As for this carb-governor issue, I think I have it licked. I reset the carb hi speed screw and idle screw to factory, fired up the motor, and it ran well. I think I turned the hi speed in a quarter turn, and it ran better. Mowed the lawn and it did not act up. I have a feeling I will have to tweak it a bit over the next couple mowings, but the governor is not "hunting" and trying to make up for a too lean or too rich condition. It's pretty smooth for the moment.

I'll be mowing again tomorrow, so I will see how she runs. I will be sure to have a screwdriver nearby!
Great news!

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

I finally have photos of my 147 Cub. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks for the comments and tips thus far. I'll post a few more in a moment...
Attachments
DSC04420.JPG
DSC04420.JPG (809.54 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
DSC04423.JPG
DSC04423.JPG (778 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
DSC04424.JPG
DSC04424.JPG (797.47 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
DSC04425.JPG
DSC04425.JPG (780.28 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
DSC04426.JPG
DSC04426.JPG (805.25 KiB) Viewed 26457 times

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

A couple more shots showing the new Kohler engine...
Attachments
DSC04428.JPG
DSC04428.JPG (736.19 KiB) Viewed 26457 times
DSC04429.JPG
DSC04429.JPG (717.16 KiB) Viewed 26457 times

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Nice tractor! How long before it gets dirty?

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Looks good!
How fast does it run through gas? 7hp tank 14hp engine….

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh man.... that is one nice tractor! Thanks for posting.

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Well, I don't really pay close attention to fuel consumption, but I appreciate the comment about the undersized tank. And worse, my tank is not stock-- It's smaller than stock. No issue though since I just top off the tank before each mowing, and I only have to do about a third of an acre. The rest of my half acre is the footprint of the house and a back hill that is too steep to mow.

I'm having fun with this beast, and am now wondering about buying a Farmall Cub. I don't need one, but it would be nice to have something to plow snow come winter.

Cyclops1862
First and Last Name: Jay Fetters

Post by Cyclops1862 »

There's no need for a farmall, just get a blade or snow blower for the cub you already have. Implements for these cadets are more than readily available in your area, especially if you're willing to drive into Fort Wayne area.
That's a beautiful cub you have, and with your care, she will be for a long time to come.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Load your rear tires with RV antifreeze, add two link chains with V lugs(no concrete or asphalt driveway) and a snow blade and you’ll out work an F Cub.
Are you coming to plow day next Saturday?

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

Nice looking 147. I have had mine since November 2000. I have a snow thrower for it, which does a good job. It is my main mowing tractor. Mine does have the electric lift. When this photo was taken, the lift was broke. I repaired and reinstalled it.
Attachments
100_0111 (Large).JPG
100_0111 (Large).JPG (935.46 KiB) Viewed 26287 times
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

I know I don't need a Farmall Cub. I just need an excuse to buy one. Figure I'd mow with the Cadet and plow with the Farmall. And I will drive my Lamborghini around the area when I'm not driving my Cubs. I have to put a bumper sticker on my Lam that says, "My other vehicle is a Cub Cadet 147."

Or, or....I will put a belly mower on my Lam and mow my lawn faster than anyone on the planet--and do it while impressing the babes. Meanwhile, I will park my 147 in the garage alongside the Farmall Cub. Together, they will impress the neighborhood men who want a real lawn tractor.

Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Post by Clank »

Welcome! And nice Cub! :beer:
As for snow, a plow or a blower are both great. It all depends on your circumstances. I live in the city with a small drive way and curbs, so for me, it's the blower.
Here's a picture of me on my 123, having a "Scotty, I need more power!" moment. :D
Cheers!
Screenshot 2022-01-28 111919.png
Screenshot 2022-01-28 111919.png (509.5 KiB) Viewed 26229 times

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Paul-

Lookie Charlie's chains and weights- do THAT with your 147, and put a snow blade on it. As somebody (Mike?) said, you'll 'out work' an F-Cub... that's because you've got more flywheel horsepower on tap, more maneuverability, AND... you have hydrostatic speed/direction control.

One project I considered LONG AGO... was to build up a Cub LowBoy (the utility-tractor/fairway mower style) using a Cub Cadet hydrostatic transaxle... but the F-Cub and LowBoy used the C60 flathead four... a nice, smooth engine, but it was 'thermosyphon cooled'... no water pump, just gravity... and that, in conjunction with flathead valve design, pretty much limited the power capacity, and the running RPM of the C60 (1800rpm) meant that the Sundstrand 15U hydrostat's input speed (3600ish) would never get met, so the tractor would be SLOW... unless I put a 2:1 overdrive on the crankshaft...

So I didn't... but if I did, I would'a had'ta make an OHV cylinder head with a water pump, then increase the engine's RPM (to at least 3200rpm), then add a front-driven axle and drivetrain... and live hydraulics, and a serious 3-point in front AND back, a reversible front PTO (so I could mount a blower on both ends)... and a cab... with lights all around, heater, wipers, drains in the footboards, AM/FM stereo, a dual-band HAM radio, cupholder... and a remote control to turn the outdoor lights on and off while I'm clearing snow in the dark-of-night...

The 147 is a real workhorse. If the engine is actually 'new', or had a serious rebuild, it MAY be that it's just still experiencing break-in, and as you run it more, the mixture requirements are settling in.

Love the Globe Swift- it's a pretty bird!!! I fly right-seat in my buddy's Mooney frequently... I'm thinkin' the GC-1B is darned-near identical in the flight character and elbow-room departments! :lol:
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

My Dad owned Swifts back in the day. The first was a GC-1B. It had a 125 Continental in it. The second was a GC-1B built by Temco. It had a 145 Lycoming in it. Both are still flying. The second one now has a 210 Franklin in it.

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Well, I got my complex rating in a Mooney 201, and I can tell you that the flight characteristics are worlds apart on that plane and the Swift. Mine was up-engined to a Lycoming 180HP, which made it a real airplane. The Swift is a very nimble and responsive aircraft, while the Mooneys are not. The latter lineup was designed for Xcountry instrument flying. They are fast, efficient, and rock solid stable in flight because that is what you want in an instrument rated platform. In other words, they are boring. Swifts are quite the opposite. I occasionally did loops and rolls with mine, and they perform such maneuvers nicely. The roll rate is very good.

As for my Cub and getting a snow blower, I don't what another piece of equipment that needs maintenance. I may look for a blade, but ever there I am thinking that I will just shovel the drive by hand and consider it my workout for the day.

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

Oh, and by the way, I know of very few Swifts with the Franklin engine. I have only ever seen one, in fact, and it was a plane that was advertised for sale some years ago. It was gorgeous as I recall. That plane probably cruised at close to Vne (185 mph indicated).

mortten
First and Last Name: Doug Anderson

Post by mortten »

Mark Holliday owns it. Big Swift guy. My Dad moved up to a 180 HP Comanche when he started flying for work. I’ve seen pictures of that one lately and in is in disrepair. He was known to do his share of loops and rolls also. Kept it at a grass field. Belly landed it once. Called a tow truck. They lifted it up and dropped the gear. Pulled the prop and sent it out to be reconditioned. I remember him saying he couldn’t believe he did that with that big red light flashing on the dash.

lonzo147cadet

Post by lonzo147cadet »

I'll be damned. I think I have met Mark, but if not I sure know the name! I am both surprised and impressed that one or two of you fellas knows what a Swift is. I knew plenty of GA pilots who had never heard of one until I would pull up to the pump in mine.

I have this bug that makes me like old stuff. Dunno where it comes from. Maybe some of you guys can posit some theories.