Cub 149 clutch on a Cub 147

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Cub 149 clutch on a Cub 147

Post by chzuck »

What is the difference between the 147 and 149 manual PTO clutch?  Considering putting a 149 PTO clutch on my 147.  My current one seems to slip too easy in heavy grass with higher lift blades that stock.  My 100 clutch will chirp the belt if it is not tight enough, while that never happens on the 147 when I quickly engage the PTO clutch.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Re: Cub 149 clutch on a Cub 147

Post by DaveKamp »

Hi Charlie!

I don't know the immediate answer, but wanted to let you know that your post IS seen, and perhaps if I jump in, others will too.

It's been a LONG time since I futzd with either clutch, IIRC there are slight differences, but I don't think anything really significant.  IF you're getting clutch slip under high deck load, that suggests that your belt is either plenty tight enough...

or...

I suppose there's a possibility that the side-loading of the clutch sheave is enough to imbalance the clutch engagement pressure, and might be inciting the slip?

I have not seen this kind of thing happen with IHCC clutches, but I've seen situations where an overhanging load DID cause a clutch to slip, because the clutch was deflected by belt load.

Just my thoughts... nothing to base it on beyond concept.
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Hi Chuck, there are two basic styles of the non braking clutch that I know of.
The single spring style
DSCN0898.JPG
DSCN0898.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1155 times
And the double spring style
DSCN0386.JPG
DSCN0386.JPG (986.85 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Neither should slip under load, if it does then it's likely time for a rebuild.
You will need the correct setting tool to assemble the clutch properly, each takes it's own type of gauge.
DSCN0897.JPG
DSCN0897.JPG (861.75 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I did rebuild that clutch many many years ago.  I have a spare clutch that is the same that I plan to put on to see what it does.  I have the belt tension set according to the manual by gauging the distance between the spring winds.  Thanks for the input.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow