782 snow blade

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

782 snow blade

Post by l palma »

I will be putting a 42" snow blade on my 782 this winter.Is there a float lock out pin necessary for down pressure on the blade?
Or is this a dumb question...

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: 782 snow blade

Post by mgonitzke »

I would let the blade float so you don't bend your lift rod.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Lew,Matt has a point but I do have times I like a snow blade locked down and on a 782 you put a pin in the linkage going from the lift cylinder to the rockshaft

l palma

Post by l palma »

Thanks Matt,Big Mike,
First time pushing snow with a 82 series.
Need all the help I can get.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Lew - I am a believer in full float when pushing snow. You should have float available at two places 1) where the lift rod meets the blade; there should be a strap that blocks an oblong hole if you want to block the float; 2) the float at the rockshaft mentioned in the previous post. The float at the rockshaft is everpresent unless someone has installed the lockout pin. The problem with the rockshaft float is that corrosion may have made it non-responsive at this point.

The float lockout is generally only mentioned in association with grading dirt, where down pressure is essential. Snow removal is generally done at higher speed and down pressure can have you stressing the equipment a whole lot more. Full float allows the blade to follow any contours or dips in the drive, especially large differences like where your driveway meets the road.

To be safe, I would leave the float at both the rockshaft and blade. If you feel you need some down pressure, you could add some weight on the back side of the blade, thereby increasing down pressure without eliminating the safety of the float.

I have never felt the need for downpressure for snow removal, paved or unpaved.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Great point there Tom !
Prior to your post I was thinking the lock down to be best, but I have the same situation as my driveway and road meets in a peculiar manner.

Thx for the tip.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Early 782s didn't have float in the rockshaft, so it may not have any there. The blade for the 82 series had the bracket on the blade with the slot where the lift rod hooks. These were added on the early 82 series because of not having float in the rockshaft like the earlier models.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Todd - I knew I was going out on a limb supposing that they all had the slot at the blade; thanks for the clarification. I have one that does have the slot that I used on my 1861 until I got a Super. It still came into clean-up duty behind the 1872/450 last year. Even using it with the 1861 that has working rockshaft float I left the slot uncovered; I wanted the float to be responsive. Even a seemingly flat driveway can have waves/dips and rises.

Jim - Watch your blade as it follows the driveway; you will see it moving up and down the whole time with the float working.

Another example is the Haban blade for the Supers; all float at the blade all the time. That thing is so heavy that you can grade dirt even with all the float.

My 1872 rockshaft float will not move without heavy ugly strikes with a no-bounce hammer; I have been applying AeroKroil (Kroil) every chance I get. It will loosen up eventually.
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Correct me if I'm wrong but , don't IH snow blades have a lockout pin on the blade itself to keep it from tilting . I know the early blades on the Originals were solid , but aren't all the later blades made where you can unlock them and allow them to tilt in the case where you might hit a curb ? I know all the ones I've owned are spring loaded unless you lock them out . I realize this doesn't help much if you hit something with the top of your blade . I usually run mine unlocked , but then again we rarely get over 4 or 5 inches of snow ... :D
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Tom Scott wrote: Jim - Watch your blade as it follows the driveway; you will see it moving up and down the whole time with the float working.

Another example is the Haban blade for the Supers; all float at the blade all the time. That thing is so heavy that you can grade dirt even with all the float.
I know I don't have one for my 782 yet I do have a B+l+n+ with a heavy 52" Dozer blade.
Hydraulic lift. it is solid other than the built in float you can add down pressure to a point and a bypass takes over when dropping blade.

I use it a lot to back blade replacement gravel because of the down pressure.

But using DP for snow also helps to have to replace gravel more often.

Also I cannot push the gravel semi level I have to drag / back blade all of it , because of the washboard syndrome .
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Jess - The lock-out you are referring to is for the spring trip, located on top; so yes, you are correct, but that is different than the float. The spring trip is as you describe; it allows the blade to fold forwards if you strike something. The float allows the blade a range to move up and down in to follow the ground contour.

Jim - I finally figured out you were referring to another brand of tractor, a Bo++++ :lol: I can be slow. Yeah, I think backdragging is the way to go for a nice finish on any dirt or gravel your working. Pushing forward the curve of the blade wants to dig in.
<><

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

you want to have float if your pushing snow because if you dont you will bend the rockshaft and ask anybody that changed one they are not fun just a point

l palma

Post by l palma »

Wow,
Thanks foe all the input.
The blade has the slotted lift bracket on the plow.I was just wondering if I could get down pressure so I can get at the underside easier...HA HA
I know about the spring trip thingy on the blade,but come spring my driveway is soft and I want to be able to "backblade out the holes I leave after spinning my tires...