Workshop and radiant heat

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

Workshop and radiant heat

Post by wdeturck »

This is a picture from last spring of my workshop right after the floor was poured and see the radiant heat tubing installed. This is the first cold spell we have and I think I have the heat working efficiently using a 50 gallon electric hot water heater. I have the cement slab temperature set at 50 degrees. I have a set of lights on each heater element that light up when the 240 V. goes on them. The one element only comes on when the water has not been heated and cold. the other element may come on for about 15 minutes every 24 hours when the radiant heat water isn't circulating. The hot water tank is the heat source to keep the shop temperature at 50 degrees and provides heated water(set to 125 degrees) to run through the floor which happens when the slab temperature goes to 49.5 degrees and will run for about an hour with the hot water tank heating element on till it heats back to 125 degrees. The heating cycle seems to be more than 12 hours apart as the slab temperature rises to about 52 degrees after the pump shuts down. I am using a Kerosene heater to warm up the shop when I'm only going to be out there a couple hours which I'm doing today.
Here is the rest of the system.
Here is the rest of the system.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Re: Workshop and radiant heat

Post by VScott »

Geezer,

Nice looking setup. How big is the slab that you have it installed in, and do you have a rough idea what it cost to install it and buy the materials? I'm looking to go with a similar setup pretty soon, cost might be what kills me on it though. I'm looking to do an area maybe 30x30. Should have had this done months ago, but had a lot of things keeping me from it. Also how much does it add to the regular electric bill per month? Thanks, Vinny

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thats a pretty neat set up 8-)
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

VScott wrote:Geezer,

Nice looking setup. How big is the slab that you have it installed in only 18 x20, and do you have a rough idea what it cost to install it and buy the materials? To get pricing on the entire set up call Radiantech at 1-800-4517593 I'm looking to go with a similar setup pretty soon, cost might be what kills me on it though. I'm looking to do an area maybe 30x30. I only have one circuit but you will need 2 and you must insulate under the slab. Should have had this done months ago, but had a lot of things keeping me from it. Also how much does it add to the regular electric bill per month?I'm keeping my temperature at 50 degrees and I don't think it's adding much to my electric bill. I did find a used 50 gallon electric hot water which you must supply. Thanks, Vinny

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

Hey Geezer,
I like the set up. I was looking but didn't see the coffee maker??? A garage is a mans castle :D .

Anyone have a suggestion for heating my garage? It is dry walled and insulated but I do not have gas. I currently heat it up with a torpedo heater before I start working (if you what to call it work) in it. I was looking for a better option. I have a 3 bay with one bay sealed off as a paint booth. It gets cold here in Ohio about this time of year so I plan on doing something with the heat soon... :roll: may put any good suggestion I get on my "wish list" for old St. Nick.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

Mike if you have nat gas you may want to look into co-ray-vac.it heats the objects and not the air.very nice heat
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Geezer,very nice set up....sure must be nice to have heat down where you are working.

Mike L,I have a Hot Dawg heater running on propane that heats my 32x32 shop nicely.

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

My garage is 32' x 40', not insulated, with a 9.5' ceiling of 1/2 inch foil-covered foam board (bet it doesn't meet code) and I heat it with a mobile home furnace and 275 gallon oil tank that I got for $100. In this weather it'll get the temperature up to 50 degrees in 20 minutes, then come on every 15 minutes or so. With oil I've got no pilot light (good for painting) and with the amount of time I spend out there, in two years I've used 1/4 tank of oil.
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

bud horn
First and Last Name: Bud Horn

Post by bud horn »

I'm like Ben. Heat with an old mobile home furnace. I use very little fuel oil as I only heat it
when I am out there working. 28x30 ceiling has 1" foam board on it with 1" fiberglass in the
top 4' of te walls. Heats up fast and stays warm for quite awile.

rgausman
First and Last Name: Bob Gausman

Post by rgausman »

Geezer,

You are a smart man. I wished that I had installed PEX tubing into my 30x30 floor when it was poured. The next thing you should keep your eyes out for is hot water solar collectors and setup a drain back system.

I would suggest to any one to seriously consider install the PEX into floor even if you do not know how you are going to heat it. You can heat water many different ways. You can even make a home made boiler by wrapping copper pipe around a wood stove.

Bob G.
Anything diesel: Cubs, Onan generators, etc
782D #1 w/ 55C mower, 782D #2, IH #2B Tiller, QA-42 SnowThrower + John Deere 435, Farmall BN, Koering 1350 Skid, Bobcat x320