982 completed

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

982 completed

Post by ksanders »

Since I can't do anything outside safely with the ice everywhere, thought I'd share this. I started on this just before Thanksgiving and messed with it off and on in the garage as I had time since it gets dark so early. Pulled it out today for the first time and everything seems real tight and ready to go. I might plow some snow with it just for fun when we get some. Just have to deal with a small leak in the steering assist and the hood hinge holes are worn (only time I've ever seen that!). Maybe one day I can take a pic of both together before I get rid of the other one.
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
With blade
With blade
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: 982 completed

Post by Paul B »

Looks good Kevin.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

jswordy
First and Last Name: Jim Steele

Post by jswordy »

That's a nice job. I'll bet you can't wait to get it dirty.
"There's yer trouble, right there!"

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks guys. And ideally I'd never get it dirty, but I gave up on keeping them clean a few years ago (especially my poor 73). I'll wax it in the Spring, then let the cards fall where they may after I hook the deck up and cut.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

Kevin,

What is the story with the power assist on the steering? Did it come on the tractor or is it something you put together? That is a neat idea in my book.

John

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

John,
It came on the first 982 I restored and I just switched it over because I thought it was too neat not to have on this tractor. It was, as I figured out from some forum members here, a very uncommon but factory kit sold for the 982's. There was also a similar one sold for the 782's as well. It's a pretty complex deal for no more than it does. A bracket bolts to the frame, the end of the ram bolts to the bracket, and the steering box basically moves the whole cylinder with the ram stationary. It acts as one big tie-rod. It just ties into the hydrostat pump like the lift cylinder. It doesn't make a huge difference since the 982 steers easy enough to start with, but is easier. Also allows the wheels to turn on their own a little too much from what I notice.
I can get pictures of it sometime if you'd like.

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I have heard and seen a couple of the 782 kits, but never knew they had one for the 982. When you have time I would like to see pics. No hurry, just curious how it mounts. The 982 has a little different steering setup than other IH tractors.

Thanks,
John

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I had to take some pictures anyway, so here ya go. The lines just replace the right side metal line I believe, tying the cylinder into the hydraulic system. By this design, it still turns without running. It would be somewhat customizable if you could find a cylinder that attached.
Attachments
982 restored 008.jpg
982 restored 009.jpg
982 restored 010.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Kevin,
That is a sweet looking restoration,keep up the good work!!

billor57
First and Last Name: Bill Collins

Post by billor57 »

nice job on that 982 Kevin,& I,ve seen some of the others you did. If my son shows me how to do it I,ll put on a picture of the 1200 I bought from you last Feb.Turned out good & I,m quite pleased.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Hey hey Bill, you made it over to the new site. I must have missed that in the past or wasn't paying attention. If you can't get the picture posted, just email it to me and I'll post it. It's pretty straight forward though. kevinsanders7313@insightbb.com I know the lady that had that 1200 before is just tickled to death that her old Cub went to Canada. I'll show her the improvements as well.
Lew, thanks, I'd really like to get one good picture of both 982s and the 782 together once. I'd like to get a group photo once, but that might be a lot of work.

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

Hey Kevin....
The 982 looks great!

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thank you mayor. I've finished up some minor odds and ends and have been playing with it and the blade some. It's too cool and can't wait for Spring now.