Snow blower welding

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Snow blower welding

Post by SWilliams »

OK, this is for a 451 but the same auger design was used on earlier machines as well. What I am having an issue with is the main support arms getting bent on ice/dirt hidden in the snow.
bent.jpg
bent.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 4979 times

I straighten them but it seems like they just get weaker. What I am debating is to straighten them and use some 10 gauge steel to box the open channel. I'm thinking that would stiffen the weak areas and prevent the channel from spreading as well. I'm not going to cap the ends. Also going to figure out what assist spring was used on the manual lift tractors and add that to the unit to take some of the weight off the lift.

Anyone else have bent scrolls? What did you do?
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Snow blower welding

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve - I would strengthen it by using an angle as a strong-back or put a doubler on each of the two legs you were planning on capping. The cap is 90* from the direction it needs to be to resist bending. Maybe a real short-leg angle at each of those two legs so you don't block as much snow path as one strong back in the middle.

I have some mildly bent spirals in the 551 I got last fall. It is still in a heap on my garage floor waiting for warm weather to continue. I have been real careful to try to keep spirals out of harms way after toasting a front gearbox! I made the mistake of chewing on some frozen berms!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Yeah I have 3 "spare" front boxes on the shelf. They are all "the same" according to the numbers but the newer ones are definitely a weaker housing. One of my next projects is going to be a milling the old housing I have so I can use a tapered roller bearing instead of the flat thrust bearing. That should help a lot with the wear. I already use a synthetic gear oil in there which has made a difference in the wear of the worm.

I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding them more like the JD units, they use 1/4" steel.

What really ticks me of is that the shear pins don't shear, instead they twist and wedge the tubes. May need to look at changing those to a better design.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

That stinks Steve. See i dont have that problem....cause mine sit down in the museum I would think a simple gusset brace..maybe up 3" and over 3". A piece of 3/8 or 1/2 " round would sure b easy but provide lots of strength without too much interference and not trapping any moisture. I have often thought about a 3/8 rod tacked the whole way around the spirals edge.....would that b sweet or what!! Try that and let me know if it works :lol: Im sure u will get her braced up just fine....keep up posted. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, an angle is the perfect strongback, but would be difficult to nest up against those legs due to the curve that they were stamped with. Also the angle would stick out further than the existing legs by a bit. So...

Use Dave's 3/8" rounds to run up the inside of each leg, one on each leg. I think that would give the easiest build and a lot of strength without offering more things for the snow to find to stick to.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Dave, I was thinking about a piece of 1/4" around the outer edge originally. Another thought was to take a new scroll set, cut mine up into strips and weld those up to form a narrow box beam. Wish I still had a relative down at GE Turbine, I could get some titanium flighting and make scrolls that would chew through rock!

I will be tearing it down in the AM and see what I can come up with. Got all kinds of steel on the rack. Hmm now that I think about it I may have some 4340 sheet up there.

There was a blower on the local craigs list that a dealer had, He was asking 500.00 for it and the scrolls were bent so bad that they were flat in the picture!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Well, the outer corners are prone to seperation and they can be welded using the method of your choice
I have seen the rear mounts distconnect as well and the entire area can be fish plated in
DSCN0150.JPG
DSCN0150.JPG (87.99 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
DSCN0153.JPG
DSCN0153.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Then again if it's not this bad you could probably keep right on going :lol:
DSCN0818.JPG
DSCN0818.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 4944 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Ken....i bet your old QA's r the r the hardest working QA's on the planet! :lol:
Steve, I did some Google image last night and it seems heavy duty blowers have there spirals or "scrolls" supported about every quarter....cubs r supported about every half. Just some food for thought :?:Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Ken, Isn't that the rare articulated blower ?? :D I remember that happening and your repairs.

Dave, Yeah, the only item I worry about is weight. That lift system doesn't like it. It's one of the reasons I'm planning on adding the helper spring.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

That was five years ago less three days but who's counting :lol:
What was amazing about that, it still ran just perfect the way it broke off.
DSCN0815.JPG
DSCN0815.JPG (55.92 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
I mounted a spare unit up in the spot where the old one failed, it took about an hour and a half total.
And brother it was cold that day !
DSCN0819.JPG
DSCN0819.JPG (53.81 KiB) Viewed 4935 times

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

not to hijack the three but thats what we do on this form and like it!
what parts cross over from a 2000 series or 1500 series blower to fit a 450/451/551 i see one for sale local at what i would call a really good price and was thinking that it might be worth picking it up just to part it out.... if the gear box for the 2 stage is the same and the augers are the same it would make it worth my time.... i know the skids are the same what else!????