Stanley B&D buying MTD.

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Stanley B&D buying MTD.

Post by SWilliams »

So in 2018 SBD bought a 20% share of MTD, with the option to buy the remaining 80% starting July of 2021. Thing is they have a bad habit of dropping anything that they don't think of as a profitable item, Wonder just how this could effect the Cub Cadet brand and the parts they currently support for our vintage machines. I know that with the 20% they have now the line of Craftsman lawn and garden tools are mostly MTD sourced.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Stanley B&D buying MTD.

Post by Klapatta »

It is already happening. Critical, common replacement parts used in a wide series of machines have very recently gone NLA. I was navigating the Cub Cadet Corp. parts web site just yesterday. I was dropping some super common items in the shopping cart one item at a time just to read the price and could not believe the number of rejection hits that was getting. What I could drop in the cart was showing a huge cost increase. This used to be fairly straight forward site but more recently it is a totally different format that is put in place to daze, confuse, and make one give up. I totally suspect that it was designed to make things difficult for the end user. I'd go so far as to bet that authorized dealers are running a back door style software package that the average Joe can't get at. Now by typing in a three digit model code this will bring up anything with that sequence of digits now rather than that particular machine. I bookmarked a series of pages just bypass some of this nonsense. There is a lot more emphasis on new product sales over service too, the whole thing looks like looking at a new car dealership internet ad now.
The good folks that advertise parts on this and other forums are well aware of this. They are responding by raising their prices as well, this is basic to the law of supply and demand. And I don't fault them in the least for it.
This entire matter very much reminds me of the Homelite phase out from back around 15 years ago. That company has be passed around multiple times since then and today is a faint shadow of what it once was.They were the best made American saws out there and yet I can't get the manual oiling push button or auto oil pump. That saw will run circles around your Mother's Uncle but when you can't get the part so what do you do? You shove it in the corner hoping for someday, that's what you do.
The recent burst in my Cub activity led me to this discovery. Many good used parts that used to show up on eBay have largely dried up as well. Ugh.
I am in the process of making a list of items that I think or know I will need in the future and will be placing orders very soon. That's called stock piling. And I fully expect to pay top dollar doing it and have already gotten over that part.
I know things are going bad when you can't get the factory issue tube style muffler any more.
The rest I'm not talking about because I want it first, the big turn about era is already upon us. :cry:
Pretty grim prognosis huh?

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I ran into that issue as well, Try using the parts diagram link and then select the type of machine, it makes looking faster than the main parts page.
https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/service- ... s#diagrams

For the older stuff select Garden Tractors, International, Super garden tractors. Then under those at the top are the attachments.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yes sir, that is the page that I bookmarked on and it works well enough when used exactly the way you describe.
But oh boy navigating to find it among all the ads for the novice or unaware is a real chore :roll:

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

https://www.messicks.com/ has a great parts site for Cub Cadet. They have the parts lists with current inventory and cost.

So that explains whey the differential cover gasket went from $14 two years ago to $29 a month ago. Sounds like the end is coming for the older Cubs.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Stock holders don’t give a tinkers damn about our beloved garden tractors, they came for the money. :(