Ham and CB chatter

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Ham and CB chatter

Post by BigMike »

Let's hear the stories guys.

I first took to the CB airwaves in about 1977. My dad converted a van and part of the conversion was a Panasonic? am/fm CB. Wow! what fun!!
I could talk wirelessly to people all of 4 miles away!
I ended up with a Teaberry that was peaked, had a roger beep and a D104. I also had a 125 watt linear, an echo box and always ran dull fiberglass whips. A local guy did radio work and built amps out of his house. He was very secretive about his location so you would get ahold of him and he would tell you were to leave your radio and then he would call you and let you know when it was done. I became trusted enough that he would let me hang out while he worked. It blew my mind. His "work shop" was his kitchen table and his tools were a couple of screwdrivers, some side cutters, a soldering iron and cheapy VOM. Later on he built me an amp and I bought an antenna from him. I used it while I still lived at home with my folks. My mom came home one night from practicing the organ for Sunday at the church across the street and said to please be careful of what I say because I came over the speakers in the church. :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Ham and CB chatter

Post by Klapatta »

Good topic Mike, there's got to be folks here that can chime in here to that!
I still have my first base station. It's a 1959 RCA Mk. 9 nine channel. RF output was through one half side of a single 6GH8 tube so it was not exactly a powerhouse, 4 and 1/2 watts peak if I recall.
DSCN0416.JPG
DSCN0416.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 105 times
The mic is an Astatic D-104 with the optional transistorized gain control in the base. My antenna was a Radio Shack 5/8 wave omni directional vertical. The antenna base was 33 or 34 feet above ground level.
DSCN0415.JPG
DSCN0415.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 105 times
In spite of power limitations it got out real good, the set up combination was why.

Over on the other thread I made mention that I had restoration work recently done on my little Hallicrafters S=120. It's appropriate now I think to show off the level of craft work that was done on my behalf from the underside.
IMG_7745.JPG
IMG_7745.JPG (4.97 MiB) Viewed 105 times
Close attention was paid to placement of every part that was replaced and believe me I have the baggie full of stuff that he took out. It is one tough little radio that was struck by lightning back in 1968. That vaporized the BFO circut and burned a groove in the top of the case near the antenna like a weld arc yet it continued to work another 50 years until the filter can caps finally gave up the ghost. Without the variable BFO of course. I changed that can out and replaced all the tubes with NOS right around a year ago and it leapt right back to life. Some time later I decided I wanted a full on restoration done so it will last the next 50. And now it probably will.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

"O man..come on!" U was one of those....with the beep and the echo..all turned up, that was soo cool...back in the day! I was always secretly jealous of that sound. My little Midland worked ok when talking to the quarry loading operators....and maybe another truck if it was within a mile. Lol. I also had the dual fiberglass sticks on my mirrors...but since I was a triaxle dump...I had a big steel body with a cab protector, I angled them forward a bit. I liked the look..and I thought it gave little better reception. Idk. Man I miss that stuff.... yeah the cb was fun...chatin.... telling lies.... telling drivers behind you to look at stuff. The best was listening to all of the big talkers lies. I swear some guys don't speak a word of truth over the cb! Especially in the trucking construction industry. ITS ALL LIES... COME ON! BEEP!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Here’s what put ole Biggy on the air.
Teaberry Stalker 9, peaked, D104, roger beep and uppers
Palomar echo box with ping.
Palomar 150 amp.
At the time I was was walking in knee high cotton, not tall but taller than stock. I could open the cash register at McDonald’s without the amp. :D
656BF632-93A8-487F-8C8E-EDB940D99367.jpeg
656BF632-93A8-487F-8C8E-EDB940D99367.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 92 times

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Still have most of my gear as well. Cobra 2000GTL with a host of mods a vintage Robyn SB520D, a President Lincoln set up to sweep a bit more than legal, couple Browning bases and a Teaberry. Plus a stack of mobiles that all came home when I closed up the CB shop I had in a local truck stop. Then all the older parts rigs that have been slowly migrating away on an auction site. Still have some of the ham gear though, there's at least one FT101 in there, couple Hallicrafters and some heathkit gear. Back when the big boom was on most of the family had gear and we had regular rag chews on wednesday nights. Most folks ran "legal" but there were a few that were a bit adventurous and ran with the big dogs.. At the peak I had the 2000 running through a 1500 watt Heathkit tube amp and feeding a Wilson 20 element Laser Beam antenna up on a 150 foot tower. Had a super penetrator for local coverage and receiving. Still have most of the test gear to repair them but after cells and everyone going to export radios I sort of lost interest.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."