New Project

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

New Project

Post by Clank »

Hi folks!
Been awhile since I last posted and a lot has happened. I won't bore you with all of the details, but in the fall I sold my beloved 123 to be able to go electric; Elec-Trak to be specific. It was a really tough decision, but I am now restoring a 1971 General Electric E-12S. Hopefully it will turn out well.
I've attached a photo, in case anyone is interested.
IMG_20221106_165915848_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_165915848_HDR.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 5190 times
I just wanted to say thank you to you all, and I appreciate all of the help and camaraderie I found here. You're a great bunch!
Will I be back at some point? It's possible. I still think that IH built one of the best machines going, and there are other models I could see myself owning (e.g. I love the look of the 70 and 100). At this time, I just don't have the time or space for two GTs, so I've made a switch. For now.
Thanks again, and in a world where you can be anything, be kind.
Mike

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: New Project

Post by Klapatta »

They were both very much underrated and way ahead of their time back in the day.
They were very substantially constructed.
Fifty years later it's all going full circle back to this.
The problem with them was the battery tech back at that time was not able to compete with 33 cent a gallon gasoline. Also people by and large simply were not ready to embrace electric tech.
When the batteries needed full replacement after two to three years because of poor servicing it simply was not cost effective to replace them all and it got pushed to the corner and replaced with something else gasoline powered.
I remember them from back when how quiet they were and always considered them great!

Clank

Post by Clank »

So true Ken, on all accounts. I'm going to start out with lead acid deep cycles and if I need to replace them down the road, lithium may be a bit more affordable. We'll see I guess, as I got about 10 years out of the pair of deep cycles I had in our camper. Like many things, they can last awhile if taken care of. I'm looking forward to being able to use it around here without all the fumes and noise.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

That's cool! Keep us updated on your progress. I'm not familiar with these tractors at all so it's very interesting to see this. More pictures when you get the chance. I wonder where these were originally sold? Maybe appliance stores next to the washers and dryers and refrigerators. Lol. "Could I also interest you in a quiet lawnmower Mrs Scott? " :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Clank

Post by Clank »

:D Quiet(er) was definitely a selling point.
If you're interested in its history (a history where it was truly ahead of its time) you may enjoy this site.
It's the most comprehensive site for this equipment. Caution: you may spend hours here! (Ask me how I know.lol)
https://www.myelec-traks.com/index.html
The Facebook group is a good, active source too.
Here's a cool video for prospective dealers that's also worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kP4g57Ycw
As for selling them, most were sold through a dealer network, often with other brands. Mine was actually sold by a dealer in the same town where the tractor was built, Scotia, NY. That dealer still exists today.
I don't know if they were sold through appliance dealers, but there were some unconventional promotional channels used.
Here's a video of my model on "Let's Make a Deal". 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUQBpOlOYU
And finally, a pic of where mine is at today, stripped down to the frame for sandblasting and paint,once the weather improves.
IMG_20221214_150615645_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221214_150615645_HDR.jpg (4.17 MiB) Viewed 5145 times
And, a beautiful 100, that I saw on the Interwebs one day. If only I had the space!
143821-8260DC35-8C41-40D5-AB74-8C1EB0A4D555.jpeg
143821-8260DC35-8C41-40D5-AB74-8C1EB0A4D555.jpeg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
Cheers! :beer:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...those links are great. Those corded attachments are amazing. The best part of the video was the woman driving the tractor... while trimming the hedges. Simply brilliant! Lol. Thanks for the update

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Hey Mike-

Don't leave just 'cause you don't have a Cub Cadet now...  Stick around, and keep us satiated with this project.   If there's a forum for those buggers, let us know where you're posting it, but my gut says that it might be a little bit 'orphaned'... but it's yellow, so fine here in MY book...

I wanna see the driveline, and how it all went.

By the way... I'm building something you might find interesting-  A battery spot welder.  I've got a 1941 Kohler 4-cyl generator that has a 32v exciter, and it will start from the exciter with a battery.  Well, I could get four 8v batteries, or I could get a trio of 12's (for 36) and start it, but I THINK that a pack made from five rows of 8 type 18650 batteries might be strong enough to whip it up...  but there's only one way to find out...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

My uncle worked for GE as a turbine welder during the heyday of the elec-trac, He had a full stable of three tractors and every attachment they made and was a "tester" for some of the prototype attachments as he had a small farm at the time. I always thought they were a neat design but the batteries were one downfall in the winter. Oh and if you look at the snow throwers they had for them you might recognize them as being Haban units with the motor and mount to fit the GE.

Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Clank

Post by Clank »

Thanks guys! 
Yeah, the attachments were one of the things that I think are outstanding. I have to find a good mower for mine. So easy to service!
I liked that part of the video too, Dave G.  The tug of war was good too. lol
Thanks for sharing, Steve! Would your family have any photos from that time they would like to share? I'm all about preserving the history!
Here's one from the R&D days:
img278 (2).jpg
img278 (2).jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Haban supplied equipment for them, as well as Brinly and some others. I would like a dump cart for mine, which were made by Ohio Steel, but at the moment I'm going to modify the dump box I made for the Cadet.
That welder is a great idea, Dave K. Depending how many amps you need, 3 small power sport batteries may be ideal.
GE also had a welder available. You can check it out on this page: https://www.myelec-traks.com/shop.html
As for drive line, it was dead simple with a GE DC motor driving the Peeless 2300 4 spd (minus reverse) transaxle.
The speed controller operated a cam that actuated 3 switches powering 3 relays to determine power supplied to the motor. The same operated in reverse giving a total of 12 forward and 12 reverse speeds. The bigger E20 had a more sophisticated arrangement, like a golf cart speed controller. Here is a photo showing the drive set up.
history2.jpg
history2.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Many parts are non-specific electrical components, and are readily available. I believe the steering is mostly Wheelhorse, and the front axle may be Jacobsen/Ford, so parts are surprisingly available. Some of the club members have even repro'd body panels and decals!
So far I've posted a few pics to the FB group, but when I resume work in the spring, I'll set up a page on the Elec-Trak forum and post the link here, if anyone is interested.  Cheers! :beer:

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Clank wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:37 pm
Hi folks!
Been awhile since I last posted and a lot has happened. I won't bore you with all of the details, but in the fall I sold my beloved 123 to be able to go electric; Elec-Trak to be specific. It was a really tough decision, but I am now restoring a 1971 General Electric E-12S. Hopefully it will turn out well.
I've attached a photo, in case anyone is interested.
IMG_20221106_165915848_HDR.jpg
I just wanted to say thank you to you all, and I appreciate all of the help and camaraderie I found here. You're a great bunch!
Will I be back at some point? It's possible. I still think that IH built one of the best machines going, and there are other models I could see myself owning (e.g. I love the look of the 70 and 100). At this time, I just don't have the time or space for two GTs, so I've made a switch. For now.
Thanks again, and in a world where you can be anything, be kind.
Mike
Why not keep us informed on this project?

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Clank wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:47 pm
  The tug of war was good too. lol
It was cute, but if the other tractor had been loaded to same weight as the battery-ballasted machine, it would have been no contest.   The Deere's available shaft horsepower was considerably higher than the electric drive's little belt, and the Peerless transmission was basically the same between both.  If it'd been a Cub Cadet loaded with ballast, it'd drag it around like a kid's toy... it just would've been a whole lot louder (between the roaring engine and tires wailing) :lol:
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

There likely were a lot of pictures but that branch of the family is gone now and everything that was worth anything was sold, all the personal stuff went to the landfill.
Was a very bad scene there. My cousin and uncle lived next door to each other. Uncles second wife passed away and he went downhill, then one day his son was over there and got to arguing about everything like they did a lot and during all that things happened that shouldn't have. The story I got was that Kenny (cousin) picked up a gun and threatened to kill himself, (said gun was supposedly always empty) well it wasn't this time and he did kill himself. His father (uncle to me) gave that story but Kens wife screamed that he had shot Kenny on purpose. About 6 months later a friend of his went to visit and found him hanging in the garage. After that the place was emptied out and sold. Sort of sucks because it used to be a big family. 3 brothers and 2 sisters. One sister killer herself at 10. Then two of the boys took their lives Bill after Kenny passed and Rick just decided he had enough and killed himself. Each of the men had a son and the sister had 2 daughters. Out of the 5 of us cousins though only 2 are left. Christie died the night before her HS graduation when she flipped a 4 wheeler, Kevin was next when he crashed his car, and Kenny took his life. Left myself and Shelley. She has two beautiful daughters and my wife and I didn't want children so the family name will end with me. I'm not long for this world, beat myself up over the years to the point I've already had a heart attack and a stroke. 

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve - Wow, that's a tough story.  So sorry for your family's pain. 
Hang in there, get the medical care you need when you need it!  We need you around here for years to come.:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Yeah Tom I'm trying. Finally got into the shop today. Got to get the summer crew ready. Already rebuilt the steering box and stuffed it in, Just need to finish it up and get the deck back on. Then roll the new super in so I can go through it, needs the wiring gone throughand the engine cleared of rodents. 

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve, yeah, my feeling is with the first nice day of spring I'm always already behind!  Do the best you can, get to it when you can get to it.  I've still got a raft of winter sticks down in the yard I have to pick up before I can mow.  Probably at leas eight hours of yard cleanup before I can even think of mowing.  Ugh!
<><

Clank

Post by Clank »

Ditto what Tom said, Steve. So sorry your family went through that.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

It's just life I guess, but the weatherman really has some 'splainin to do...  4 days of nice warm weather (it hit 92 degrees here), started moving things around, then it started to get chilly again, Had a couple snow flurries and dreary wet weather every day since with one day over 50 degrees. !!!!  WTH where is my global warming ??? Did start on eviction with the latest super, little ba$Terds chewed off the stator wiring so that should be fun. Going to strip a lot of the "extra" wiring off and armor the rest. adding wire mesh screens for the engine openings as well. Got to keep them running until I'm gone at least, the next generation might want one of them old fashioned gas burning tractors when the grid goes down and they can't charge all the mandated electric replacements....

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The push toward electrification is running rampant in my state and there are many of us that don't like it at all. For starters the vast majority of our electric service is imported. No one seems to make mention of that. Second, large rural sections of the grid lack the necessary improvements to support such a move. And I know about this.The ski resorts and more urban areas have it but that's about all.
My neighbor just down the road from me installed eight solar panels in his field about ten years ago that tied directly into the grid but strangely that was all together disconnected some time thereafter. And I can't say why but it sure looks pretty there sitting in the middle of his field like actually doing something? Probably some sort of capitol gain that was involved, got paid out, and then was discarded.
In one larger town, electric string trimmers have been mandated. The lawn service folks hate it.
We have a bill right now moving forward by our trustworthy politicians dubbed the Affordable Heating Act. Sounds great huh? It is nothing more than a roughly 50 % tariff designed to double the cost of #2  heating oil to encourage the use of switching to electric heat as a primary alternative of staying warm in the Winter. By the way, where will these collected funds be going? I wonder. This is intended wean us off of the use of fossil fuels so they allege. And it will move forward and pass despite efforts to veto it.
I don't require weaning off from any damn thing. These are the same jerks that banned standard capacity magazines about five years ago after there was some supposed issue involving a minor but nobody ever learned the actual facts regarding the case as it was never released to the public.
Yet thankfully a tragedy was averted and preperations are now set in place to freeze us.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Same issue here in NY. Push to electric to the point of banning the items that the a$$hats in Albany and NYC think are bad. They don't bother to look at the reality of the oldest plumbing, water supplies and electrical grid in the country that are ignored until a failure and then patched with lighter cheaper junk, until it fails again. The solar BS is common here. A company will form, start installing solar fields with contracts, then goes belly up and the "new" company that buys the assets says they don't have to honor the contracts. I know of one guy who had a contract that covered almost 3 acres with solar, the company vanished overnight and the new company was of the opinion that it was only going to pay about a 10th of the contract price. Sadly the negotiations had stalled and they refused to pay anything more. Even worse he was out trying to cut the grass around the panels and had an "accident" that damaged the primary connection systems to the grid so the new owners were required to pay  money back to the feds because the system went off line. They had a change of heart soon after and decided to honor the original contract just to gain access to repair the "accidental" damage so they would get paid. 

Clank

Post by Clank »

Hi folks,
It's been awhile, but my Elec-Trak is finally done.  It works great and I'm very happy with it. Everything was stripped and painted with the exception of the hood. It's in nice original condition, so I just left it. I have to say, '84-'99 New Holland Yellow from CNHI is a spot on match. It was very nearly a total restoration; from soup to nuts, the only thing I didn't have apart was the transmission. I'm also glad I could buy Carlisle Turf Savers in the correct sizes. I also found some NOS parts for those finishing touches. Any way, here are some pics for you to enjoy.
Be well,
Mike
Attachments
IMG_20231008_092919443_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231008_092919443_HDR.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 879 times
IMG_20231008_110049801_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231008_110049801_HDR.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 879 times
IMG_20231005_162654596_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231005_162654596_HDR.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 879 times
IMG_20231008_110136526_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231008_110136526_HDR.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 879 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Mike - You did a fabulous job!  It really looks nice.  I'm not a fan of the government forcing us to take electric over gas, but nothing wrong with choosing it for yourself for the right application.

So, the dashboard and lettering look perfect.  Did you have to reproduce that or were you lucky enough that the original still looked that good?
It would be cool if you could find a deck for it.  Update us if you come up with anything else!   :beer:
<><

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Very nice restoration!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Wow. That came out great! The New Holland yellow is a spot on match.
So nice to see a proper restoration, excellent job-

Clank

Post by Clank »

Hey thanks guys! :beer:

Tom, that dash fascia is an NOS part that I found, along with the steering wheel centre cap
I've got some things in the works that I will post when they are finished. 
In the meantime, I built a rear implement lift primarily out of some CC parts I had, and a generic winch.
GE had a manual and an electric lift available, but these are rare, so I built my own.
It works awesome for my box scraper. Cheers!
IMG_20240202_172610726_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240202_172610726_HDR.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 791 times

Attachments
IMG_20240203_103900051_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240203_103900051_HDR.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 791 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Looks amazing! Thanks for posting on our fossil fuel website!

Clank

Post by Clank »

Thanks! :D

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Boy.. that's weird! So I get to work this morning and the company golf cart was acting up. Or should I say not acting up. So in my mind I run through what I have done in the past couple years to this cart. 4 new batteries about 2 years ago. New charger last year. Went completely dead this summer and it was too low for the charger to kick on so I had to individual charge each one. That was very annoying! At that time I topped off the batteries with about 2 gallons of distilled water.
We use this cart (sleigh) at the Christmas party to deliver Santa. After a couple hours of some decorating....I get on to give it a whirl and the throttle was very erratic. I almost thought we can't use it. But it did fix itself. So Santa came to town this year!
I put the charger on it about a week ago thinking I don't want to let them get too low again.
This morning I remove said charger and take it for a spin to exercise the gaskets. It moved about a foot then died. Long story short..... someone says did you check the water. Me said "water, I just topped it off in June." He said check the water. Low and behold....2.5 gallons later they are topped off and charging properly again.
I was shocked how much water this thing uses!
Easy fix....but I think the owner is getting tired of me fussing around. Lol.

Clank

Post by Clank »

The batteries losing that much water in our climate makes me suspect the charger is over charging, so I'd give that a looks-see.
Cheers!
Mike