Plowing and Weather

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Plowing and Weather

Post by dmcdowell »

As I look outside and see it drizzle after the mighty 3 inches of snow I figured I would ask some of you guys how goes the battle out west of here. Here being 2000 ft from the Atlatic Ocean on Cape Cloud. Ice will be tough tomorrow night. We will get mostly rain wed then the temps drop to the teens for the forseeable future. The 123 scraped off the crud and the chains chopped up a layer of ice under this mornings 3". But with frost at over 2' in depth will surely mean more ground ice after the rain.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Re: Plowing and Weather

Post by Racenitro »

Weatherman must be using a dfferent ruler than I do. 16 Miles East of St. Louis measures 1 1/2" sleet, 1/4" ice and about 1" snow. Forcast between 6 and 14".....
The forcast shut down everything including the Malls...

Mid Mo. did get about 18-20"

Plowing over ice is not possible with truck plows, cubs or anything that has no down pressure. I have success with my Case 1845B Skid Steer...

I did plow a couple of drives yesterday evening early with the 2072 and the 54" blade. Could not crack the ice tough.

The Cub Cadet 268 Snow Blower does not like the sleet....so it is not being used like normal.

jswordy
First and Last Name: Jim Steele

Post by jswordy »

Just got off the phone with my Dad. They got 16" in the Quad Cities, Ill. He just got done digging out. He had 3- and 4-foot drifts in the yard and his driveway, due to 60+ mph winds almost all night with the storm. You go maybe 100 miles north and west of there in Iowa, they got 1". Ya just never know. He says they expect -10 degrees tonight and tomorrow night before they start to climb up in temps, so this snow's gonna be around awhile.

I do know one thing -- in southern Tennessee, we got rain! :P
"There's yer trouble, right there!"

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

It rained hard here today on top of 3" of snow. The ground is extremely cold so therefore water run off was at the maximum. Had to deal with two house where the water jumped the gutters and filled between the snow and house then relieved itself into the basement windows. It was inpart a big fire drill cause it was happening everywhere since the water could not find any soft ground to take a nap in. So I am cold and soaked.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

What a difference a few inches makes. Where my neighbor didn't use his thrower my 682/450 was able to under cut the ice layer and move the stuff. Where he so nicely cleared my driveway the 1650/blade almost didn't do the job. If it's gonna ice over snow, leave the sNow alone until after the storm!
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Jim S
First and Last Name: Jim Sheehe

Post by Jim S »

Paul, you need a loader to scrape your worries away. ;)

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Plenty more rain here tonight and mor ethan enough frost for flooding. Not to far from my area is plenty of buildings under duress from snow load and water. It should be an interesteing news cast in the morning on the roof collapse subject. I sure hope this rain drains before it freezes. The lawn and yard are still 2-3 inches thick in solid ice.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Daniel,
It's been an ice year around here that I'd rather just forget about.
The Cubs have done everything that I could have asked from them and then some.
The only mechanical issuers I have had so far have been a flat front tire and a bent blade swivel pin, both on the 102.
I have been waging war with an ice dam that formed above the base of the stair well that had been holding everything else back for two days. Just name the tools involved, shovel, pick ax, wood maul, you get the idea.
Today I WON.
DSCN0736.JPG
The rest will come down on it's own.

Who's your Daddy now big hulk? :lol:
DSCN0737.JPG

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

We have missed the big snows but got the moisture and then the big temp drops right after. Our ice is anywhere from 2-4" and blue. For the last few weeks I was trying with salt and sand but that would melt into the ice. The other day I went over to Aggregate Industries and bought four ton of 3/8" bluestone and have been spreading that like salt. I gives super traction and is 20dollars a ton versus 95 dollars. Three times last week the kids went out at dusk to shut in the chickens and came back banged up. I should have done the stone thing in Dec. since when it thaws out it just means I stoned the driveway all witer long, 2 five gallon buckets at a time. Today was warmer so I just came in from plowing slush of the lawn where they walk and the chains on the back do an excellent job at busting up a little more that the plow will pop off. Gotta love these 102,122, and 123 DNA type machines. They seem to love the battle when the odds are not in there favor.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

First 1/4 to 1/2" of ice, then nearly 2" of sleet mixed with rain...all freezing then some snow...then -2 degrees temperature over night followed two days later with 6" of snow....
Took me 10 hours and one new cutting edge to clear our church parking lot...with my 1845B Case Skid Steer.

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Sounds like what I have here Frank. If I can't get all the way through the ice after tommorows warm up I am putting the tooth bucket on the skid steer and letting it rip. I might kick myself in the spring but if I can kick myself it means I didn't break my neck.

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

SO -- the ton of snow finally slid off the metal barn roof, making a huge pile right in front of the barn door. Now I've got to get the 125/loader and move that pile. Guess where the loader is?
Attachments
DSC08026.JPG
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Under a blue tarp which is under a bunch of snow which finally fell off of the roof???? :banghead:

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

Why, no, Dan -- it's IN the barn!
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

Well just fire it up and drive through the door.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Ben, I would never insult a mans intelligence and hint that he lost his plow in a snow storm, but with the winter many of us are haveing anything could happen. I hope your cub ate that snow right up and returned it to the ecosystem as yellow fluid, a little over 98 degrees :D

Trebor
First and Last Name: Robert Ganyard

Post by Trebor »

Ben,

I have visions of you coming out of the barn on that cub, it's front wheels completely off the ground, snorting and growling and you with a grin wider than the state of Maine. If that doesn't make the snow fly it will surely shrink away in fear. :coffee2: Have a cup on us cubbers when your done!
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you are going, And the insight to know when you have gone too far”.

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Go figure, tooth bucket and skid steer hack up 50yds of frost yesterday since its suppose to be cold today but nobody said anything about 55mph winds. It was suppose to be tree cutting day at my other job but I don't feel like peeling them off of the roof of the guys house. I can't win, these jobs were suppose to be done 2 weeks ago. Hopefully in the forties for the rest of the week starting tonight.

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Why, why, why, it goes from 50 to 15 overnight and now we have more snow and rain expected. It seems like frost and mud are all that my life is made of these days. We took a trip to TSC last night and got some goodies for the old ladies. I had to bring the Boss along to see if she would approve future trips and fortunately she saw plenty of reasons to return. I think the next trip will involve a tire upgrade for the 147. That is one of her adoptions.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Dan

For the same reason Im enjoying 70+ deg weather, just to piss you off.

So what kinda goodies did the boss find there? Mine finds all sort of stuuf for the birds, Im not one of them!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

dmcdowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Vince, you know what they say, I would rather be pissed off than, well you know the rest... I believe my commisar approved a set of off brand ags for the spair set of rear rims I posted about under its own topic along with solar mtion lights for around the chicken coup. She was also game for a new seat for the 123 but I want one with a very low or no back rest. There were the always readily available trailer parts and acceseries that she wants to get for trailer immprovements. There were many things she liked but my favorite was when she said she should do her christmas shopping there. That made me :D . Gotta love a woman that enjoys shopping hardware stores. Gotta love it even more when she gets possesive about her tractors.