Anyone own a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Anyone own a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon?

Post by cbingaman »

I am starting some research into smaller pickup trucks and was curious if anybody owned one and what sort of mileage they got out of them. Also any recalls, problems or any issues or troubles they might have with one. I'm looking at something smaller in a four door to try and get better fuel economy. Besides I really don't need a full size, just something to pull a two sled snowmobile trailer and haul smaller things in a bed. So I'm looking for some insight into them. If anyone has something different in a small pickup that they like and can give me some figures on mileage, problems to look for, etc. that would be great as well.

P.S.- I am looking for figures on a 4WD as that is what I will be looking for.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

redbull1
First and Last Name: Andrew Mann

Re: Anyone own a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon?

Post by redbull1 »

Chad,
I currently own a 2005 colorado 4WD. I bought mine for the same reasons. On the highway with no trailer I average 21 mpg. With a 5x9 open trailer empty it got 17mpg. With the same trailer loaded with a 2072 super which included the deck it got 15mpg. My colorado has the 3.5 engine. It gets 17-19 around town depending on driving conditions. Mine is a 4 door crew cab also. I am of rather large size so getting in and out of the truck was important. I am a FORD guy in general but the ranger does not come in a 4 door and is not as comfortable as the colorado as far as getting in and out. The issues: master control switch drivers door.It controls power window and drivers door lock. It will fail and will cost big money to fix. Blower motor resistor is a constant pain. Large dollars also. Fuel module even larger dollars. For more info go to the colorado/canyon forum boards. I have owned mine for 7 months been in the shop 6 times. My last GM purchase was 33 years ago. Now I know why I have owned fords up until this truck. All brands have issues but I have had less with FORDS than GM. By the way this truck has only 46,000 miles on it. I also realize this truck was used when I bought it and I expected some issues.
Andrew

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Chad, I don't know if the rest of the counrty noticed but Massachusetts elected one to the US Sentate. The joke was weather it was more believeable that a Republican won Ted Kennedys Seat or a GMC truck went 220,000 trouble free miles. (Attn. moderators, no political insults are intended or implied, you have to be from Massachusetts to understand) either way Scott Brown still brags about his little pick up truck.

ERIC-SMITH
First and Last Name: eric smith

Post by ERIC-SMITH »

chad, i have had my 06 colorado crew since december of 05, i love it under normal driving i get 16- 19 mpg, it will tow my 6'x14' encolsed carmate trailer with 2-3 cubs inside with no problem. i have never checked mpg in tow but it is not bad, that you are always looking for a gas station any way. i have always had the truck serviced at the normal times at the chevy dealer here in town where it came from and other then brakes all the way around 1 time and 2 sets of tires i have 76,591 miles with no problems . i would recommend a colorado to anybody after the 05 model year from what i have heard they did have cyclinder head issues but that went away with a new design. if you want one i would get one soon from what i have read there is no plans for a new ranger, colorado, or dakota after 2012, with the thinning down the big three want to sell full size trucks with the v-6 to us small truck guys ford all ready is pushing the turbo v-6 in the new f-150.........
Attachments
colorado 002.jpg
colorado 004.jpg

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Post by cbingaman »

Thanks for the info guys.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.