OT Garden Tractor

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

OT Garden Tractor

Post by wham »

Anyone know or care to "testify" anything about one of these. It appears that I shall be the proud owner of one Case 222 before the day is over . Don't know nothing about it except it was running a few years ago and owner just parked it and quit using it he says.

Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Re: OT Garden Tractor

Post by ljones »

I have a 81 222 and it is built like a tank, their hydro drive system is perfectly engineered. They have to be the next best thing to cubs.
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

wham

Post by wham »

Now your gonna make me want to keep it ! ! I have been doing some "surfing" and seems like that is a major plus for this model is the hydro system . Hmmmm and Case and IH are 1 company now hmmmmm.................

Tim H.
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

I've seen some of those at shows and they look nice all prettied up.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I owned a 220 which is the 10 hp model ,my son is presently using it to mow his yard . I believe the 222 is 12hp .
I agree that they are built like a tank , heavy as heck , but I don't think their hydraulic drive is as efficient as cubs hydrostat . I found that it robbed more power especially going uphill . My 220 would pull a 48 inch mower deck that came off a 400 series Case with no trouble on level ground with the fresh rebuilt 10 hp engine. But it would labor a bit going uphill even with the deck turned off .
I definitely like mine and have informed my son that I eventually want it back...LOL
Attachments
image00091.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

One other thing I should mention is that Case mower decks have the grass discharge chute on the left side . I don't know of any other make of mower that does that .
If your use to a Cub deck discharge being on the right side and going counterclockwise around your yard , going in the opposite direction takes a little time getting comfortable with . :lol:
Last edited by Jlaws on Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

My dads Mitsubishi with a Haban mower deck discharged to the left was always odd to use if I had to borrow it
105 147 1650 382 782D

dang
First and Last Name: Dan Glover

Post by dang »

Jlaws wrote:One other thing I should mention is that Case mower decks have the grass discharge chute on the left side . I don't know of any other make of mower that does that .
If your use to a Cub deck discharge being on the right side and going counterclockwise around your yard , going in the opposite direction takes a little time getting comfortable with . :lol:
Simplicity's are lefties also, at least mine is.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I think a lot of the Allis-Chalmers GT decks discharge to the left, as well.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

I knew when I posted about left hand discharge decks that I was probably opening myself up for rebutals . I should have said other than this Case I hadn't owned or remember seeing one that did . It is kind of unusual .

On another note I kind of liked the rear discharge decks , I owned one once that was on a old Craftsman . The rear discharge made it nice if you wanted to pull a lawn sweeper while mowing .

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

MY JD Push mower has a rear discharge for bagging, or a plastic shoot that discharges to the left as well.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The Wagner I owned had 2 discharges
Left side discharge
Left side discharge
right side discharge
right side discharge

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

222 is the 12HP version....
These use a hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor with a 2 spd axle. Extremely strong tractors....I have had about a dozen and have had almost no problems...worst was a blown "O" ring on the hydraulic motor. Cheaper to buy a used unit than the "O" ring $75.00 for the ring.
Guess it would be a kissing cousin ..CASE-IH....to the cubs.
The steering can be a little harder since it is a rack and gear......

wham

Post by wham »

Well, here it is after an eventful, flat tire on front axle of trailer, stripped out lug bolt that I couldn't get nut off of, drive it home on 3 tires from the other side of town, that everyone and their brother (or sister) wanted to pull up beside me and in the words of so many yell "did you know you have a flat tire on your trailer" . I did appreciate the thought but did think everyone would notice me and my son in his truck were both running flashers to let everyone know we knew something was wrong . Anyway, it's gonna be hard for me not to get "emotionally attached" to this one even though my shed has mostly cub yellow or deere green in it . And I did get it running long enough to back it off of the trailer ! ! Got some ignition work to do on it and then heres to hoping no one comes up and offers me $400.00 or more dollars for it !

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

I used to have a friend by the name of Tim Ham :evil: :P
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wham

Post by wham »

Come on Vincent, cut a brother some slack ever now and then ! :evil: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Post by ljones »

I just brought home a 81 case 444 that is in pretty nice original condition, this is my first running hydro l&g tractor, it is powered by a 14 horse kohler, but I have to say my 66 122 gd is still #1. Maybe we need to start a off topic tractor thread to post our none cc finds.
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

All of the Case Garden Tractors are TOUGH! I have had over a dozen and can tell you that they are built like tanks. Main problem is some have the expensive to fix Onan. Others still have the reliable Kohlers....

Use a 644/646 Loader all the time. THe loader will easily pick up 750#. Have 800# plus of counter weight....

Parts are a little hard to find but some Ingersoll parts still fit the older ones.

bbungard
First and Last Name: Brandon C Bungard

Post by bbungard »

Here is a pic of my 444 my grandfather and I restored. When I brought it home it was in 2 pieces and about 4 boxes
Attachments
20100907140210-1.jpg
20100907140210-1.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
Beat it like it owes you money$$

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Post by cbingaman »

I recently brought home two off topic tractors. The price for the 2 of them was less than 200 bucks so I couldn't pass them up. They are a pair of Massey Ferguson's, a model 7G and a model 12H. A gear drive and a Hydro respectively. I have always been a bit of a fan of the big MF tractors styling from the late 60's, early 70's. Since these have the same styling in a smaller package I had to get em. Only downfall I see in them is they are both Tecumseh powered units that engine parts are long since NLA. The 12H may end up with a heart transplant though so it isnt a big issue, and the 7G is going to find a new home soon and it's sale will ending up paying for both of them and some modifications to the 12H.
Attachments
100_1368 (Small).jpg
100_1369 (Small).jpg
100_1370 (Small).jpg
100_1371 (Small).jpg
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.