Jeep Pickup?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Tmo
First and Last Name: Terry Reed

Jeep Pickup?

Post by Tmo »

It's been a long time since Jeep made a pickup. Remember the Honcho, the Commanche. Check this out:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2005-...ncept/#3103604

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/gladiator.html

Tmo

Re: Jeep Pickup?

Post by Tmo »

BTW, the links are to the 2005 Jeep Gladiator concept. Per the dealer meeting Chrysler held yesterday, they reported a concept similar to that concept.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/15/excl ... er-meetin/

John T
First and Last Name: John Teller

Post by John T »

Comanches were nice pickups. It's about time Jeep to started making trucks again, instead of the batch of grocery-getters they seem to be producing these days... :|

N_Black
First and Last Name: Noel Black

Post by N_Black »

If they build it, we will come. Man do I wish they would build a REAL Gladiator again. Here is the one I recently bought. It looks rough, but it is solid and has a WHOPPING 37,000 miles on the clock. Runs like a sewing machine. Really like the diamond plate bed.
Attachments
1969 j 3000 truck_resize1.JPG

Tmo

Post by Tmo »

Noel,
I love those old Jeep trucks.

On the Commanche trucks, they were unibody construction - not body on frame like most of the competition at that time. Plus 2.8 engine wasn't the best.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I had three different Comanche P/Ups. Two were the long boxed Pioneers and the other was a Sport model. All three had the 4.0 with 5 speeds. The long boxed ones were neat, but dismal towing ability... The short box was a hand full in wet weather.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Kyocum
First and Last Name: Kelly Yocum

Post by Kyocum »

Noel that is a real nice Jeep you picked up. None of them left here in Central New York. Rust killed them off a long time ago. We spare no expense on salt up here.
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.
Jonathan Winters

N_Black

Post by N_Black »

Thanks Guys,
I garnered this one from a buddy of mine that has what I guess you would call a fledgling dealership in Virginia. He seems to have a knack for finding these older Yeeps. This Gladiator came from the son of the original owner. He bought it new in '69, and it stayed on the property only to leave once a year to pick up salt blocks for deer (I think the story goes), and the salt can be solely attributed to the demise of the bed. When his Dad either made the bed or had it made, they did a jam-up job on it. It's funny, but when I came to him this time, I wasn't looking to buy a jeep. I was only looking for a grill. About a week later he called back telling me that he had found one with the rest of the Jeep attached.

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Here's a picture of my Jeep truck. She's a '67 with original winch. One of 11,000 built with the winch. She has 31,000 on the clock....and runs like one.
Attachments
My "Gladiator"
My "Gladiator"
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....

Dbaumanjr

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Guess I'll need to resize that... :roll:
Darryl Bauman Jr

Dbaumanjr

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Woah! You click on the picture & it enlarges!
Very cool feature!!
Darryl Bauman Jr

N_Black

Post by N_Black »

Daryl,
THAT is a TRUCK! M715, correct? The winch is a nice feature as well. I would love to have one of those with a wee little cummins under the hood. Very, Very nice!

Dbaumanjr

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Thanks, Noel.
Yup she's a '67 M715. One of the first 2,000 built. Still has the original OHC engine. I put a civi 2 barrel carb & intake on her, but modified the military aircleaner to fit. Looks stock, more power. I also put power steering on her. Much nicer to drive. Modified the transfercase output for less noise/heat. I love my '715!
I'd like to repower it with a Cummins, someday but it would be a 6BT. Though I think putting the 327 V-8 (from the Jeep pickup)in it would be cool! Kinda the way the military should have spec'd it...
Darryl Bauman Jr