critique my hold downs on my trailer & new ramps built

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

critique my hold downs on my trailer & new ramps built

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thanks to the suggestions, I went with 2 x 10 by 8' fir for ramps for my trailer, I used 6' long 2x3's edge wise underneath for stiffeners and since my trailer has a "C" channel in the back, I used a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood to bring the ramps up closer to deck height. A tie drop keeps the ramps from slipping back.

Here's what I thought might be a good way to hold the cub in place. 1" wide ratchet tie downs around the front axle, same type tie downs currently hooked to the tiller mount ( would the axle tubes be acceptable? -- guess the hitch plate would be best ) and a 2" wide ratchet tie down across the center. I will cut a groove in a 2 x4 and round the edge on the discharge side of the mower deck so abrasion isn't a concern.

What do you think? ( if you don't like something, say so )

Thanks
Jeff

125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Re: critique my hold downs on my trailer & new ramps built

Post by TWheaton »

Looks like you have it tied down pretty well to where it is not going to wander off.
Two comments though, 1, over time the mower deck will wear through the strap, I have had to replace them where I have done the same thing. 2, you may want to improve on the rachet tie down idea to hold the ramps , but since I'm not there and have never tried that it may be fine.
Thanks for the pics.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

If the ramps were for me, I'd drill two holes in the lower web of the "C" channel and put a bolt/pin through the ramp and the web. I would not rust the strap to hold the ramps with that small amount of lip. All it takes is one to move a little and you could be in trouble. If you did not want to put a hole in the metal. then maybe a flat plate on top o fthe ramp bolted to the 2x10 and a hole in the deck to keep the ramp in place. Trust me, I have been loading trailes for 40 years plus and have seen a lot of issues and been luck a few times. I am not a big fan of the staps due to the wear factor and sharp edges cut them easily.
I am a chain and binder sort of guy....feel safer and to date have never lost a load..KNOCK on WOOD real hard...

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Frank,
There is a 1" lip of plywood ( two 1/2" pieces screwed to the 2 x 10 ) on the bottom side of the plank. Maybe I'll get some 1/4" plate bent at work to bolt to the planks with pins/bolts to secure them on the top. I'll only need two positions, equally split for the cubs and one centered and one offset for my streetbikes.

Thanks for your opinion, greatly appreciated.

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Post by cbingaman »

I would say that the 2" strap is not needed if your just using it to help hold down the tractor allthough it allows for extra security. I use four of the small style ratchet straps on my cubs when I haul them and have never had a problem with them. Only thing I would definately do different is the straps on the front. Instead of wrapping around the front axle like you have them which will no doubt make them wear very quickly(I speak from experience here), simply throw the hook of the strap on the spindle right below the front axle where it bends to go into the wheel. This is where I hook mine and I cross the straps so that they don"t have a surface to wear on. One hooked to passenger side of tractor goes to driver side of trailer and vise versa. Looks good otherwise to me.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

You're supposed to tie them down?

Actually four points is more than enough for one tractor, as Chad said, the 2" is not really needed (unless you plan to do some serious off roading).
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thanks for the front suggestion Chad.

Scott, the extra 2" is "just in case". I like my 125 and want to keep it. :lol:

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Where do you store the ramps, on the trailer, when not in use?
Official Member SCCG

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Chad I disagree, but Ive been known to over chain.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

882Diesel
First and Last Name: Paul W. Roessler

Post by 882Diesel »

Ditto to what Frank posted! I drilled hole in each ramp & used .25" diameter bolt to hold in place on previously owned Kory 2 wheel trailer. I don't trust straps, just old school I guess.