Oil consumption

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Oil consumption

Post by J Hayes »

I can't understand since Cub Cadet never made a 2 cycle engine that used oil out of the oil pan where my oil is going to?

It only smokes a little for maybe 10 - 15 seconds I have straight 30 wt in it, and now my usage has become all of the hash mark area in mowing 1.13 acres. It does't smoke at all after initial start up, and no leaks ????
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: Oil consumption

Post by mgonitzke »

It's probably going out through the breather. Is the inside of the air cleaner all oily?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Post by ljones »

My 122 loses it's oils through the breathe, crankcase breather, and through the exaust.
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

mgonitzke wrote:It's probably going out through the breather. Is the inside of the air cleaner all oily?
Inside air cleaner isn't overly wet although it is just around the breather hose not into the carburetor throat.

Air cleaner should maybe be changed not bad though . would that cause excessive oil Consumption ?
Air flow from breather tube could blow out a match.

I don't like what I'm reading in the manual at this time of year.

I did get into some pretty heavy grass for about an hour,( that should have been mowed two mowings ago) was working pretty hard, got pretty warm.

most of the time I do use 3/4 the hash marks but this time it used from top to just below bottom.

Really wrong time of year to do a rebuild or find a replacement , but to save it I may have to. :(

I really can't figure why you don't see it smoking all the time -- only at start up for maybe 15-20 seconds.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

OK I got an update,
Yesterday before mowing when I checked the oil it was down quite a bit, This is still on the cheap oil I have been running. I went down to my friendly Auto parts dealer and got a quart of " Lucas™ " Was told t put in about 3/4 of it
Went home and brought it up to the full mark. I started it, and Mowed just my 3/4 acre.-- checked it again just to find it drank it up like a strawberry float on a 100° day.

After about 3 phone calls , and a couple emails I have gotten this far.
Plugs as pictured Left and right. not wet with oil,

Ran a compression check on the fourth revolution both cylinders have 95 #

Still doesn't have signs of excessive blow by. In The air cleaner.I would semi retire this engine the way it is and put it on my winter tractor to push snow, But I would be back to square one with a PTO for an 18 HP Vanguard. that also needs a starter bendix.
Attachments
My engine pics 002.jpg

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

If that much was leaking out anywhere I'm sure it would be well noticeable even if it was forcing it out under a load while you were cutting. Maybe excaping past the valves or something? Is the inside of the muffler wet or damp with oil? Maybe it's coming out of the exhaust from the valves but just not visibly smoking. That's probably grasping at straws but it seems like where you are about now.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Kevin, it does stay in my shed and no leaks of any kind the exhaust is a bit sooty but I believe most of that was from the carb needing adjusted-- That got done by one of the forum members here ---. It only visibly smokes on start up , But yesterday I noticed in the evening as I was blowing the grass off the deck as I was putting it away. that the garage I keep it in was getting as bit hazy at idle.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've had tractors (and have a 100 even) that will burn oil but doesn't really visibly smoke. I don't know if it's too hot or too cool to snoke or what the physics is there. It makes the inside of the exhaust a little wet and oily though. Still, I'm with you, that thing is burning too clean to use that excessive amount of oil and not see it anywhere. Does the exhaust smell oily as it runs?
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

ksanders wrote:I' Does the exhaust smell oily as it runs?
No It doesn't that is why I am so confused. I called a guy last night that has worked on many of them.
but many years ago. he said to use a mammomunm-- monomum--- darn it !!---a water gauge thingy to check pressure in the crank case vent, but don't remember the reading it is supposed to have.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Jim,
My loader uses more oil than any motor I've ever seen. It's up to almost 1/2 quart per tank full if I run it hard. Putting around reduces that somewhat.
It doesn't smell much and unless you're looking for it, you don't see much smoke. It doesn't leave a spot anywhere it's parked and doesn't even smoke much out the breather.
When I bought this motor off of Rich "owned by a little old lady only mowed a small patch on Sundays" Patton it used oil, back in July 2000.
Actually, to his credit, he did tell me it smoked.
I never let it get down to the add mark and have never changed the oil. I figured it gets a pretty regular rotation of fresh oil. I've also been running the same spark plug in it since I put the loader on (which I bought from Rich back in 03).
The reason it has never died is the same one the original 129 spindles never broke, I have a replacement waiting in the wings.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Scott

I saw it smoke once at the lodge! :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I saw Scotts 129 smoke once also , about 6 or 7 years ago at possum lodge .
Don't tell me Tony's still doing the 1/2 cup of oil in the muffler prank .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Some one did when I was there
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Im posting this from an email from Frank my old boss. I thought this would be help full for others to know. Also this shows the guy has a scense on humor!

There are only three ways for oil to get into the cylinder to be burned.
1) by the rings,
2) by the valve guides
3) through the carburetor.

First check for stopped up air filter, this can draw oil from the breather through the carburetor intake causing it to smoke. (simple things first)

Next do a leakdown test on the each cylinder at TDC. If rings are the problem this will be determined by the test. 

If you do not have a leakdown tester use a compression guage. Taking several readings from both cylinders while cranking with a fully charged battery.  You should have at least 90psi compression with no more that 15% difference in the compression between the two cylinders

If the both cylinders pass the leakdown  or compression test, then use the manometer to check the crankcase vacuum at the dip stick tube.  Make sure the breather tube is connected to the air cleaner box and the filter is installed.  Crankcase vacuum should be minimum of 15" of water. If no vacuum or positive pressure, check to see if breather tube is open and breather check valve is working.

After you confirm all of the above is working correctly the only way left for oil to get in the combustion is through the valve guides. If this is the case remove head and valve/breather cover. Remove valve keeper and pull valve up off of seat no more that 1/4 inch and check side to side play. Then pull the valve completely out of the guide and see if there is any wet oil in the port. This is a sure sign. Some KT17 have valve seals on the intake valves. Make sure they are in good condition. Valve guide diameter should be .312/.313" The maximum valve stem clearance should be .0045" intake .0065" exhaust.

I would like to see this done on U-Tube. What show that would be. Staring Ugly Jim.

I hope this helps.

Frank

-Andrew Jackson

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Vince,
your post is very informative.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Lew

Frank is a great teacher. Ive learned a lot from him. Espicaly elec trouble shooting.Its still hard for me, but not as hard as it has been.

I thought his email would be help full for someone.
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Thanks Vince for posting that . :beer:
Seems like this thing has been giving me the feeling of the tail wagging the dog. Image