New Job

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Trebor
First and Last Name: Robert Ganyard

New Job

Post by Trebor »

Hey Vince,

For some reason I'm thinking that you started a new job. I couldn't find any thing here. Maybe it was on RPM? Is that correct or was last night too much fun for me? We need an update on that front. BTW, keep up the good work with the boys! :D
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you are going, And the insight to know when you have gone too far”.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Re: New Job

Post by vince_o »

Yes Im hauling fork lifts now. Im driving 2 worn out Ih tractors, one is a roll back, the spare and the other is pulling a landoll trailer. The trailer has been in the shop for 3 weeks, Ill pick it up tomorrow night or tues morniong. Im scared to see what Ive gotten myself into.

I will say I work with a good bunch of guys. Most have been there over 15 yrs and theres quite a few with 25 and more! A new company bought them so Ill see if it stays the same. I hope it dose its a good easy job, and I dont thin Im getting any younger.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

Post by wham »

Congrat's and good deal Vince on the new job ! You know I changed jobs this year after almost 26 years at the same place . Some people told me I am crazy but you know 50 year old guys don't get to many chances to willfully change carreers these days and the opportunity showed itself and I took the leap . Hope everything works out great for you on your new job . Hang in there dude, hope I get to finally meet you face to face at the "Bama Plow Day" .

Tim H.
Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Tim

I wont be at the Bama one. Im heading to Athens Tenn for the Mayfield plow day. Some of the occ guys and the Red neck Plow guys are going to it. If we get rained out Ill be in Bama. Ill be in Bama for the spring one.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

OK so I got the tractor trailer today. I pulled 9 chain and binder violations off the truck before we even started loading!

Chains streached, pins held in with nails and copper wire, hooks worn so bad that they are sharp!

No Im not JOKING!

In the truck the seat wont hold air, the clutch petal you only have to push 1/4 inch and its out of gear, and when your at a red light I go from 120 psi down to about 65 lbs of air. The drivers door is so flimsly its like a worn out hood on a narrow frame!

Ever pull a cub out of the woods where the gear shifter goes around in circles, welcome to my tractor. There is a noise in the rear end that sounds like the rears are falling out and when your going down the road you can feel the back end of the tractor swaying. Al the bushing are in place, looked 3 times, and cant find any shinny spots where something binding. Now I know its been about a good 2 years since Ive driven, but this aint good.

I didnt find too much wrong or worn out on the trailer, but both are going on 17 yrs old and about 600k on them. I told my boss the tractor needs to be in a yard switching trailers and pushing them to the dock. Better yet in a scrap pile some where!

I aint got a clue what Ive gotten my self into yet! I need a job, but at what expense? Im seasoned enough to get around some things but I aint figured this one out yet.

Stay tuned!
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Used to be when I first started driving . We either had to run what we had regardless of the safety issues, or someone else was standing in line to prove they were a better driver than you.

Today's laws, and the education they put you through for your CDL makes you totally responsible for what you take out on the road. Because you are trained to know what is right for the road.

Your signature on the daily drivers report is essential and if something is a real safety issue NO one can be forced to drive it. Most places you have the power to dead line a truck if not fit for the road. If they fire you for that and violations haven't been addressed ,--report it to DOT. then you can have a wrongful discharge lawsuit added

I only had a little trouble with an old White Road Boss and when I left the garage I intentionally went by the scales to have it checked out -- (ended up being towed back to garage).

I only did it to clear myself and fines were directed to company. otherwise my check sheet showed the unsafe conditions of said truck-- DOT didn't have to look for violations as I pointed them out .They left me off.

Still worked there for another 3 years, but the Boss and I had a more respectful attitude towards each other .
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Vince , Your not the only one that has to work with below par equipment . Some of our equipment is 50 yrs old....LOL
But one advantage I have is that I can shop engines or cars for safety violations without being second guessed . Thats one positive of having the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). There kind of the OSHA or DOT for the railroads . The FRA man perodically inspects cars and engines at yards for safety issues . Unsafe equipment is imediately pulled out of service till the issues are fixed. They can also impose fines for willingful safety violations to crews and railroads , some up to $10,000 for crew members .
And yes we do have locomotives break down line of road , but with multible engine consists we usually can still get them over the road . We usually isolate the engine with problems and haul it DIT till we get it to the next terminal for repairs .

Vince I wish I had some advice for you ....I'm assuming your work place is non union ?
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Vince,
I, like Jim, had to use what you were given. Someone else was always ready in line to take your job.
When the steel mills around here started going down, a 977 with an operator went from 65 bucks an hour (working for the state) down to 35-40 bucks in a matter of two years.
Of course when stuff was making good money, it went into the boss's pocket instead of equipment.
I got pulled over in Ligonier, PA one time in a 57 B-Model tractor and lo-boy. The cop told me to run the air up to 110 and shut it down, told him I couldn't do that cause it would only go to 90. Did that, shut it down and he crawled under and said, hit the brakes. he came back out and said that was like laying in a snake pit with all the hissing. His exact words were, there's four hours of paperwork on this truck and it's an hour to quitting time. If I EVER see this truck in my town again I will scrape the sticker off and haul it to the junkyard after taking you to jail.
Thank you officer :D

That truck would rattle the cab when you rounded a hill and the lo-boy would pick up the slack in the fifth wheel, Sounded like it was coming through the back of the cab.
It did have one cool feature, a chain through the firewall you could pull when maxed out pulling a hill that would override the governor. In the day it was black smoke, at night you could see flames if you held it long enough.

Course this was the 70's, be careful dude.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

So I went in this morning, found acracked air line, still didnt fix the problem, found a power steering line dry rotted, and another one split where the clamp is attached, my trainer said it want nuttin to worrie about. My hand was covered in oil.

Heading to benson nc, where ever that is tomorrow in the roll back. Seems like a good 12 to 13 hrs to figure out what I need to do.
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

All I can say at this point, I know you need a job. And with times getting harder you may feel pressed into trying to do good for yourself and family.

There is a factor of what you owe to yourself, making sure you make it back home safely.
The condition of the truck tells me how much he thinks of his employees.

If he insists you drive it and you know it isn't right, Id be makin a call to SCSP and tell them where to meet you, or tell them the route you plan to travel the next day, Make it look like a random routine stop.

Guaranteed employer wont want to see the fines that would accumulate after they pick that truck apart.

One time out can cost you your license, or your life. Another accident on our record you don't need.----Weighing those factors alone would make me go to walkin again.

If employer sends you out knowing full well of unsafe equipment . he believes drivers are indispensable and has no concern of your personal safety.

I personally quit driving for 10 cent employers that think drivers are a dime a dozen.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

We have had several bad accidents in our state in the past.... one on known record was a tractor driving through a toll booth and killing several.... after that they removed all toll booths.
The most recent was a dumptruck comming down avon mountain.... which is fairly steep for several miles. Truck lost brakes and took out 10 to 15 cars at the bottom of the mountain killing several. The accident was so bad they had to repave a 100 foot long section of 4 lane road.
The inspections found major problems with the companys trucks brake wayyy out of adjustment or just worn out etc. and the list goes on and on. They have tightened up inspections and whatnot like u wouldnt beleive and most trucks will drive around CT if possible! There upto 6 required chains for a peice of eqiupment on a trailer, and there watching weights like crazy.
so vance dont drive that truck though CT or you will be taking a cab home! lol
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

atwrk2010
First and Last Name: Jeff Pierson

Post by atwrk2010 »

Luckily my truck is a leased truck, and it's only in service for 5 years. Right now it's on year 4 with currently 359,000 miles on it. Sure there are a couple minor issues with the truck, but nothing that keeps the truck from being off of the road.
The DOT has pulled me over 5 times this year. It gets annoying, but they are just doing a job. Plus it keeps us on our toes.... ie keeping up on repairs,and keeping logs correct. LOL
I have never had a issue with my truck meaning the DOT pulled it off the road, though one time I didn't have the full 10 hours off time between shifts. He made me park the truck and go home. I had to call my wife to come get me, luckily I was only 20 miles away from home that day!