Frozen Engine

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Jim
First and Last Name: Jim Whitbeck

Frozen Engine

Post by Jim »

Have been given a very nice JD model M 1951 Tractor with you guessed it. A frozen engine. I am open to any and all suggestions how to free this two cyl. vertical motor up. I don't want to hurt or break anything and would so much like to see this unit running. It is in remarkable fine condition.
Jim

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Re: Frozen Engine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Soak the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

I too have a project like this, so I am very interested in the responses. I was told by an "old-timer"to just fill the cylinders up with ATF and wait. I have a Packard V-8 that is soaking currently. I once broke a Honda 2 cylinder (aluminum pistons) free by putting "Liquid Wrench" in liquid form in it's cylinders. It used to come in pint cans, I'm not sure if it still does. Once free I found everything was so bad that the block had to be sleeved and all new parts ordered, but they were available. I do know that PATIENCE is the key ;) Especially when parts are no longer available.

Any chemists out there :?: Will the Acetone help :?: Seems like I remember something about Acetone being used to anodize Aluminum. I do know that it is VERY flammable.

Good luck with this project, let us all know what works.
Jim
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

First off the M is a less common model so the part about being hard to get parts is a good point and probably even more true in this case. My grandpa had an A and when he passed that was the first tractor I ever restored believe it or not (and the last green one because it was heck to use for anything farming). We soaked the cylinder for a month in kerosene and put a long bar on the flywheel to break it loose. It broke loose but I still put new rings and everything in it. Those two cylinders were notorious for locking up according to the JD enthusiasts around here that I've spoke with.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Post by ljones »

Yes the jd twin cylinders were notorious for freezing. The green magazine says the best way to get pistons out is to heat them up until they are cherry red then try to knock or press them out, this of course won't work with aluminum pistons.
Several years ago while my grandfather was restoring a 51 b that he later gave to me after he bought two farmals :D was stuck he poured diesel in the cylinders then used a bottle jack with a block of wood and stuck it in-between the frame and piston and just forced it out, but this won't work on the upright cylinder m's.
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

56cub
First and Last Name: Matt Atkinson

Post by 56cub »

I guess I got lucky with the JD M we have at work then. It has been sitting in the same spot for about 10-15 years and wasn't touched for about the same amount of time. All I had to do to get it started was drain the old gas out, do a quick clean on the carb and clean the points and it fired right up. It even built oil pressure right away too!