Winter Snow and Storm Pics

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Re: Winter Snow and Storm Pics

Post by bbaker »

BigMike wrote:My perspective is that pushing snow is fun but when you need to move snow and get inside where it's warm a snow thrower is the way.
This winter it has been easier to use the Toro CCR1000 than put the blade on the 2072 or fight with the &$!*% 2 stage on the 882......in fact anyone looking for a 2 stage snow chucker?
How much you asking?? :mrgreen:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

It was a good day!
IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0151.jpg (202.94 KiB) Viewed 189574 times
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

ronniec
First and Last Name: Ronnie Chapman

Post by ronniec »

and some of us really enjoy pushing snow with a blade making hills doing donuts and yes plowing the drive lol and just having fun
have snow must plow

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Big mike send it over! I'm looking but I've been doing the same thing the toro 2 stoke is great for anything less then 10 inches. Any more I get out the neighbors 30" walk behind blower!

Ken I figured you would want me to over night u an A frame! Good for you for planing ahead!

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Ditto! I walked right past the machine with the thrower cus I felt like doin donuts :lol:
When I hit that rock full throttle third gear there was too much snow in front of the blade to allow it to tip- something had to give-
I already have a sketch for the replacement pin made up and it will be an easy fix

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Hey. Paul how are those front chains working out for you?
Ken
Your gonna need a bigger bolt!!!
I broke the edge on mine today. Have to make some changes before the next snow fall.

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Lew I run the front chain on the LF wheel only. It's great to keep from pushing your self sideways with a heavy load of snow and an angled blade.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good pics guys.......... but i know lots of others r holding out on us. Lets see em ! I would post mine but i dont have any........I use the "pack er down" treatment :lol: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

bbaker wrote:
BigMike wrote:My perspective is that pushing snow is fun but when you need to move snow and get inside where it's warm a snow thrower is the way.
This winter it has been easier to use the Toro CCR1000 than put the blade on the 2072 or fight with the &$!*% 2 stage on the 882......in fact anyone looking for a 2 stage snow chucker?
400.00 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

BigMike wrote:
bbaker wrote:
400.00 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
what model is it? any pics? does it come with a yellow 782?
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I think it depends on your situation. When I moved in here I thought I would have no problem with my "big" Ariens 1028 (10hp, 28" wide) walk behind snow blower. That Ariens chucks snow fabulous and was unbeatable in my previous neighborhood with a flat 50' driveway, but a long rural drive with a steep hill changes everything. When you point a walk-behind up a steep hill it tends to rock back and you have to pull up on the handle bars just to keep the mouth down on the drive, and that is after I put a large weight on the front. Going down the widowmaker hill is just as bad, no brakes other than downshifting. I had to wear spikes on my boots just to survive.

But as for snow blades, I can drive the tractor at nearly full speed in some snow conditions, way faster than a walk-behind blower for my conditions. I really liked the regular blade on my 1861 after using the Ariens on the hill, but the Haban blade really puts a smile on my face. The increased size of the Haban and the power angle makes snow blade work very easy and quick. It is very rewarding to have my machine do the work instead of getting beat up by the Ariens on the hill.

I will admit the two stage blowers are a bear to put on and take off, but it is way better than man handling the walk behind every time I use it. I man handle the 450 twice a year, on and off, rather than get beat up on every deep snow. Besides, that is how I justified another Super; I need one with a snow blade and one with a blower all winter long so I am not swapping attachments. :beer:

So, in my book they are all good, just depends upon the situation. I still have the Ariens, but I should sell it. I have been running it just enough to make sure it is in good shape (ethanol free gas in it).
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

It's old, it's loud, it stinks, it's off-topic, but it's paid for,and it's fueled up and ready to handle the 12" that we are supposed to get overnight and throughout the day tomorrow. I haven't even put a blade on a Cub Cadet since I have had this.

To keep the pic semi on topic, you can see that I added few sets of IH weights.
Attachments
2014-01-04 14.52.09.jpg
2014-01-04 14.52.09.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 189583 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I love Bobcats....

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Wow! Ken was able to break one of the few things that hasn't been broken on my snowplow.
The springloaded lock pin has been the weak point for my plow frame. I finally ended up putting a tractor drawbar pin in there. I tethered it with a loop of chain & a screw. The A frame got bent(twisted) pushing cars & trucks with it at work. We straightened it & welded angle iron on the sides. We also welded a piece of plate onto the bottom of the a frame. The sub frame under the tractor had been bent numerous times. So we welded strap onto the bottom of the sub frame & added crossmembers to it. All of this was done when we used to clear a parking lot with the old 149, that I scrapped out years ago. Those concrete parking stops are hard on plowframes when you're at ramming speed....
We are working on our 3rd 9+inch snowstorms in the past month. I plowed about 4"of the concrete about half an hour ago & will be out in about another hour to clear three driveways.....again.
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I admit I was feeling a bit frisky and rammy on that day :lol:
It takes a lot of force to shear a 3/4" high carbon pin clean off
Consider that a class 2 hitch uses a pin that is only 5/8' and that will pull an 8,000 pound trailer

I have badly bent or sheared more than my share of the swivel lock pins, these measure 1/2'
DSCN0660.JPG
DSCN0660.JPG (102.78 KiB) Viewed 189563 times
My solution was to fabricate new ones from A2 tool steel and harden and temper them to Rc. 50 or so.
That would be ruffly equal to about a grade ten bolt, since then no longer any issues there
DSCN0650.JPG
DSCN0650.JPG (71.63 KiB) Viewed 189563 times

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

And you used the stronger, heavy duty IH Red paint too!
Official Member SCCG

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

cholloway wrote:And you used the stronger, heavy duty IH Red paint too!
lol that's a very true statement!

Just remember beef up one area, and you find the next weekest link....

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

bbaker wrote:You northern guys that get snow.... actual snow need something bigger than a cub.

Where I live a cub is fine for the teeny tiny amount of snow we get, but if I had the feet of snow you all get sometimes, I'd have something with a heated cab for snow removal! :)
I had to snow throw with 125 and the QA42 when the actual temp was in the single digits and the windchill was way below zero. Insulated bib overalls, good down type jacket, good gloves plus my Sorel boots. I also wore my full face motorcycle helmet. Not only does it have a face shield, it also has a flip down sun screen too.

I stayed nice and toasty for the entire time I was outside clearing the drifts and the driveway. ( at least 90 minutes )
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

A couple of days ago , the weather guessers were predicting anywhere from 1 to 10 inches of snow for our area .
It all depended on how soon the rain turned to snow as to how many inches we were gonna get .
So I go out to the garage yesterday as it was starting to rain , to make sure the 982 and 54" hydro-tilt blade were ready for it.

I top off the gas , check the oil , tire pressures , start her up for a while to fully charge the battery , and I actually remembered to turn her around so she's was facing the garage door ready to attack the white stuff .

We ended up getting a little more than a dusting......... :banghead:
Bet if I hadn't been ready we would have got a foot .... :lol:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Red paint makes the pivot handle easier to spot when the whole thing is smothered in snow
DSCN4086.JPG
DSCN4086.JPG (121.02 KiB) Viewed 189534 times
I have never bent one of those A arms but did crack the side of one at the point where the welded plate on the bottom comes to an end. It welded back up nicely.
There is a heavy washer welded into the underside that the pivot pin drops into and I've popped off a couple of those too- I just replace it by making a 1/4" thick pie shaped insert with the hole in the right place and weld it directly to the inside curl of the A frame

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

The equipment is ready for the 8-12 they r calling for! The thing that makes me nervous is i wont be here to use it , i will be out on the big artillery trying to make a buck. I will only let the wife and kids use the Jacobsen's........... for the almost 400 ft drive :lol:
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 189509 times

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Ready for action!
1-21-2014 1-30-47 PM.gif
1-21-2014 1-30-47 PM.gif (122.16 KiB) Viewed 189508 times

JohnathanB
First and Last Name: johnathan bruford

Post by JohnathanB »

Dave ,
I notice the wheels on the snow thrower how is that working for ya? I almost sold my thrower this summer but decided to keep it and just raise the shoes up higher. I have a 1/4 mile dirt/ stone driveway. So far I only use the thrower when its over 6" and it did well not picking up rocks etc but those wheels look like they may be something to consider..
Thanks
JohnnyB
1650, 1450 duel hydro,42" tiller,42"snow blower,42 & 54 snow/dirt plow,42 & 50 mower deck ,brinly bottom plow,brinly cultivator with shovel hillers,#2 IH cart

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

They told us to expect 5 to 8 inches and all we got was a dusting too small to measure. But the arctic vortex is back.
Attachments
DSC07879.JPG
DSC07879.JPG (141.13 KiB) Viewed 189491 times
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

That chills me just looking at it....

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yes Johnny the wheels work great ! A 6 inch wheel using the existing skid shoe hole gives about 1 inch of clearance. Dave

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Ben, I stopped looking at the thermometer- what's the point anyhow :oops:

Well, today I finally got around to making a new front pin for that busted up A arm assembly- I still need to sawzall out the old pin out and weld the new one back in.
For material, I went with 4140HT, that should be probably right around where a grade 8 bolt would be
DSCN4153.JPG
DSCN4153.JPG (170.29 KiB) Viewed 189482 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Little bit of snow throwin today goin on-
DSCN4170.JPG
DSCN4170.JPG (105.03 KiB) Viewed 189476 times
DSCN4174.JPG
DSCN4174.JPG (74.34 KiB) Viewed 189476 times
More coming Sunday so they say

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

If I find old man winter.... I'm gonna break his nose! :twisted: I am officially over this thing called winter...

And The PA groundhog.... better not let me see you or you're gonna find out how accurate my 10-22 is... just saying! :shock:

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Last edited by ReicheP on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.