Allegheny County PA Taxes

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
wdeturck

Allegheny County PA Taxes

Post by wdeturck »

I Moved this from the Welcome Mat

This is a court ordered reassessment and my land values will be higher than some riverfront properties that the land is valued at $1000 frontage feet. Every residential property in the 93 properties in my area went up almost as much as mine. A lot of Vacant Land went way down or is assessed at a different rate the land with building on them. I took this picture off the 2013 Reassessment Map and put in the Current amounts and the 2013 amounts.
The blue property is my house and 2 vlong vacant lots. the property on theleft and bottom are build  able lots.
The blue property is my house and 2 vlong vacant lots. the property on theleft and bottom are build able lots.
The riverfront properties are across the road in the upper left corner.

Our County(the assessors)millage went up 21% this year so when the new assessments kick in they will have a huge surplus and can only increase tax revenues by %5?

This assessment was done with a COMPUTER MODEL and really pentalizes the small properties. The Court Ordered assessment was suppose to help the poor and it did exactly the opposite.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Re: I'm Back

Post by vince_o »

Wow Geezer!

I know Mom spent a lot of time fighting her tax hikes. Being on a fixed income and all. Its crazy how they do the taxes in other areas. I have a very small house, and almost 2 acres of land,and my total tax bill for cars, and land isnt 500 bucks a year. I think about what this place would cost me back home in some of the areas I like, Indiana Co, Wash or green counties. I couldnt aford the taxes. Couple of years back we were all sitting around the fire at the deere farm, they were talking on how much the taxes were hurting them. Most everyone I hunt with are self emploied.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

ridgerunner97
First and Last Name: Jon Pechunka

Re: I'm Back

Post by ridgerunner97 »

Did you go to those protest meeting they were having William? Allegheny Co. is so forked up when it comes to EVERYTHING. I heard tell that they assessed a parking spot at $50k with their handy little computer model.... :roll:

wdeturck

Re: Allegheny County PA Taxes

Post by wdeturck »

I think the only ones protesting are "Occupy Pgh." and I want to get everyone that is appealing(there will be thousands) to try to get the message back to Judge Wettick to look at the overall assessment and make Allegheny County do a correct assessment. This assessment did the exact opposite trying to help poor home owners. The first property I looked at was Vacant Land that now is part of a Sunoco gas station and the 15,700 SQ. Ft. property that was assessed at $3.75 a sq. ft was dropped to $0.85 a sq. ft.

I did see the assessment on the driveway and that is Vacant Land which can be almost any value.

ridgerunner97
First and Last Name: Jon Pechunka

Post by ridgerunner97 »

The meetings I was talking about weren't a "protest" but to protest your individual assessment. I'm just happy that I live in Westmoreland County. I have several friends that were hurt by this reassessment, allegheny county is driving people out slowly but surely. Between the drink tax, and this reassessment debacle needless to mention more points of contention if they think they are financially in a tight spot now, wait til they drive more people away...

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

Geezer,
What gets me also in taxes are the people who put on 100 xmas trees and get farm assessment. They say they are (farmers)!! New Jersey is going to TRY to correct this but most of the so called FARMERS are lawyers. So good luck there.
Hang in there buddy!!

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

mmzullo wrote:Geezer,
What gets me also in taxes are the people who put on 100 xmas trees and get farm assessment. They say they are (farmers)!! New Jersey is going to TRY to correct this but most of the so called FARMERS are lawyers. So good luck there.
Hang in there buddy!!
On the other hand, when Montgomery County reassessed, they took my FIL's 120 acre farm and taxed it as individual building lots. Proposed tax bill was over $60,000 a year. :o

The Grange represented the farmers and had it corrected.

If you go in with facts and not ranting and raving ( even though it is deserved ), you'll should get a corrected assessment.

Good luck
Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift