Elderly Cub hauler brakes

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Elderly Cub hauler brakes

Post by BigMike »

The other day I had to step on the brakes in my 98 F-150 hard enough that the anti-lock activated and then the pedal when to the floor.I knew I still had brakes and my suspicion was confirmed when I found the back of the resevoir empty.Tonight I looked for a leak in the front and cannot find a thing that is wet.I followed the lines from the master cylinder to the calipers and notta.....what the heck am I missing?

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Re: Elderly Cub hauler brakes

Post by Merk »

Mike,

Remove master cylinder from the booster. Back seal in master may be causing the problem.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Elderly, haha! My Cub Cadet hauler is a '82 F-100.
The fluid has got to be going somewhere. Check the insides of your rims. The rubber flex lines [3] . I had a master leak between the booster due to rust breaking the seal and thus leaking between the two. No soaked carpet right? Boosters dont fill up do they? :oops:
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

tompepper
First and Last Name: Denny Engle (tompepper)

Post by tompepper »

on my 92 it was the steel line for the right side.we couldn't find it till some body steeped on the pedal and somebody else watched.I thought it was the master also cause no wet spots.
If you're gonna be dumb.you'd better be tough!!!!

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

It's not a manual, is it? Slave cylinders have been known to leak if so. Yes, a brake booster can fill up with fluid. I've had it happen and had to replace it.
I was hauling a Cub home a few years ago and lost all brakes on the interstate from a rusted line that went. If it was crowded I'd have been screwed. Luckily there happened to be no traffic. No E-brake at the time either, which I promptly found the ambition to fix after that :lol: I'm just waiting for some of these rusted lines to go one day. 86 Ranger.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

proportioning valve need reset ??
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

cub1450
First and Last Name: Jed Harper

Post by cub1450 »

Ederly :lol:

Mine is a 69 c10
1978 1450 with IH Hubcaps
1975 1650SGT work in progress
1974 129 with sleeve hitch
1974 108 (under resto)
1974 108
1200 parts
Brinly 8in plow ,12" in. plow, disc & rear blade, 2 44a,50a

billor57
First and Last Name: Bill Collins

Post by billor57 »

Kevin,
Get those brakes fixed don't want to here about a misshap because of neglect. :beer:

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Believe me Bill, I'm all over it. I'm a paranoid enough person as it is. The truck has $400 worth of all new brakes on all 4 corners. Only the lines aren't replaced and I have replaced the worst ones already just out of piece of mind. This spring I'll probably buy a new set of lines bent already like factory. I can't see myself bending every line for the whole truck.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Can ya check out the proper procedures of bleeding the brakes If you have any at all. my cheby drove me nuts trying to do the rears then the fronts .. procedure on mine further-est rear then opposite front.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I swiped the bottom of the booster and all it had on it was condensation.Pulled the vac hose to check for fluid....bubkiss.Sprayed the the bolts with PB and Saturday I'll pull the master and take a look-see.

'98 is elderly here because in the next few years it will disolve into a pile of iron oxide.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Mike,
I had the rear seal on my 71 F-100 leak back down the rod to the pedal and down behind the floor mat. That took a little to find.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

And one other thing that I've seen as a former Ford truck mechanic is the power booster vacuum hose actually sucking the brake fluid out of the booster after it leaked past the seal between the master and booster and dropping it in the intake manifold so it gets burned with the fuel and air mixture. That is hard to find :?
Good luck :!:
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Well I pulled the master and found it clean and dry.I put some fluid in and pumped the brakes and heard fluid squirting so I KNEW I was closing in.I crawled under and looked around up front,notta.Then I see fluid dripping.........in back,yup the rear line rusted out where it hooks to the hose.I have never seen a system that ran the back of the back of the master and the front off the front but this truck is that way.Went and got some line and started making new lines......hopefully tomorrow is warmer and dryer than today and I can get the lines on and the bleeders loose.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Well my trusty steed is ready to ride again.I got the lines run,bleeders came loose without breaking and I drove it to work today.
I'm glad that's done....thanks for the help guys!