New to me lathe

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: New to me lathe

Post by BigMike »

Nice South Bend......plus a taper attachment :beer:

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Vince,
You might want to look into the South Bend website for more information, just Google it. There's a lot of information there. All of their machines produced from 1929 to 2008 are listed on data cards and for a modest fee after providing the S/N (located at the tailstock ways end of the machine), the date of manufacture, shipping destination, name of first purchaser, accessories, and other data can be obtained. Yes, I said on data cards.
Parts such as change gears, lead screws, half nuts, etc, are available directly from the factory too. Pretty amazing that they are still around really.
Why, I still have my 1973 book from High School shop class, betcha that's still in print too- on CD or book reader though :lol:
DSCN4289.JPG
DSCN4289.JPG (210.54 KiB) Viewed 5588 times

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Mike thanks.

Ken yep I think Ill get a card, guys on the machenest forum told me the same thing. The book is here, still in print and reprints on epay. Got some used gears coming and having one made. Yea I could buy it but the guy that offered me the help is as old as Geezer and said he cant sit still and likes to help people. Hes a retired machinest from Az.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Vince, if you need something that is not readily available try Latheman in the SB section of Practcal Machinist, he is a SBL retiree that sells SB parts.

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Hey guys just been lookin for a good used large and finally found one can anyone tell me whether this lathe is good or not
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (253.97 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (254.75 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

heres some up dated pics of me learning. Danny made a pin for the 482 clutch fork. We could have just used a bolt, but theres no fun in that!
Attachments
DANNY TURNING 1.jpg
DANNY TURNING 1.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
DANNY TURNING 2.jpg
DANNY TURNING 2.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
DANNY TURNING 3.jpg
DANNY TURNING 3.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
DANNY TURNING 4.jpg
DANNY TURNING 4.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
DANNY TURNING 5.jpg
DANNY TURNING 5.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Ive been getting a lot of help from a old Cat mechanic / machinest in Az. Like most folks on forums, Ill probly never meet him, but talk to him for years on end. Also Super Dave is always helping me along with a friend of his.

Everyone says I needed a 4 juw chuck, so I got this off epay last week. Dosnt look used much. Ive started to make the base for a milling atachment for the Atlas lathe.

Its going to take a while to learn how to zero it in!
Attachments
4 JAW CHUCK.jpg
4 JAW CHUCK.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
4 JAW CHUCK 3.jpg
4 JAW CHUCK 3.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

And I needed a chuck for the 3 jaw, crude but very usefull!

In talking with Big Mike the other day I guess Im moving forward on a new direction and getting further away from the cubs. BUT, we still use them almost every day. This is a great way to start repairing them. Espically seeing how much stuff is going NLA weekly! Hope to start making some steering linkage for the wheel horse this winter.

Lots of times when working in the shop, I remember to the "old days" about 8 yrs or so when I found this miss fit group of guys, that took me in like family and made a big impression on me. Its nice to know we have members here with all sorts of talents to share with people!
Attachments
KEY1.jpg
KEY1.jpg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
KEY2.jpg
KEY2.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
KEY3.jpg
KEY3.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
KEY5.jpg
KEY5.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
KEY6.jpg
KEY6.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
-Andrew Jackson

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

vince_o wrote: I remember to the "old days" about 8 yrs or so when I found this miss fit group of guys, that took me in like family and made a big impression on me.
You're like the red headed step child we never wanted! lol

When ya gonna come get your milling machine??? :mrgreen:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Vince, I know you may have done it for the pic but did anyone ever tell you to NEVER leave the key in the chuck?.......and you DO NOT want to find out why the hard way......especially the boys.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Mike

For pics only !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Andrew Jackson

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

vince_o wrote:Ive been getting a lot of help from a old Cat mechanic / machinest in Az. Like most folks on forums, Ill probly never meet him, but talk to him for years on end. Also Super Dave is always helping me along with a friend of his.

Everyone says I needed a 4 juw chuck, so I got this off epay last week. Dosnt look used much. Ive started to make the base for a milling atachment for the Atlas lathe.

Its going to take a while to learn how to zero it in!
Good pick up on the 4 jaw chuck Vince. I "painted" numbers on your four jaw chuck.

You "eye ball" centered it pretty well. Now here's the easy way to center it. Notice the jaws are marked 1-2-3-4 with the odd numbers ( 1 & 3 ) and even ( 2 & 4 ) across from each other. You can also use different color paint stick/magic markers too. Using a dial indicator ( a cheap 1" travel works well - here's one in a mag base for under $29 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/370629063614?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT --- I have that exact set up for my Monarch lathe) you make it read the same number on all four sides. I would highly suggest you gingerly pull the indicator back with your fingers as you turn the chuck with a square part so it doesn't move the indicator.

Put the part in and just lightly snug the jaws. I would set ZERO at jaw 4 and get a reading at jaw 2. Let's just say it read .060, that means our center number is .030

Now with the indicator at jaw 4, loosen that jaw up and tighten jaw 2 under it reads .030 . Snug jaw 4 against the part.

Move the chuck to jaw 1 and loosen that jaw and tighten jaw 3 until it reads .030 . Go back to the other location and verify it's still centered. If not, tweak it in.

~~~~~~~~

Some folks like to use two chuck wrenches, one on each side but I learned this technique on a 18" four jaw chuck and it was impractical with a 5 lb chuck wrench :lol:
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

-Andrew Jackson