Ohio Steel Plow

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Ohio Steel Plow

Post by Jlaws »

I just bought my second Ohio Steel plow at Ohio plowday and when I complared the share with my other Ohio Steel plow , I noticed that the point on my old plow had a lot of wear . Actually it hasn't been plowing very well , and I'm thinking it needs replace .
I did a web search and to my amazement Ohio Steel is still in business , but they don't seem to be making plows anymore . :?
They still make lawn sweepers , lawn rollers , areators . carts , ETC ...but no plows that I could see.
Anyone know where I might be able to find a new share ?
Does anyone know if a 10" Brinly point might have the same bolt pattern as a 10" Ohio Steel ?
I've owned several Brinly's but I don't have one at the moment to compare .
TIA , Jess
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Re: Ohio Steel Plow

Post by Mcamp »

Jess,i have a 12 in. ohio plow and the pattern is the same as my 12 in. brinly plow. Maybe the 10 in. are the same also. Mark

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Jess,

I remember looking up parts for a sears 10" plow I had and they still have the share available. the bolt pattern is the same also.
Adrian

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Jess,you can always rebuild the share you have too. ;) 8-)

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Mike ....I measured the two plows today and the old one from moldboard to point is 4 1/2 inches ...the one I just bought at plowday is 7 inches..... So I'd say it has some wear . :lol:
I can weld pretty good but thats a lot of work and by the looks of the amount of wear I'd have to piece in 2 pieces of metal , its also worn on the land side of the blade .
I'd have to cut , bend , weld . grind ...etc.
I have a old 12 " Cat 0 brinly share that I kept when I replaced one on my Cat 0 last year..
It has the same bolt pattern as the 10" Ohio plow...I even test bolted it on to make sure it fit....
I'm going to call Brinly tomorrow and order a 12" share .
I may or may not cut it down to 10" ...I'll have to see how it looks compared to the moldboard on the plow before I decide....
And I do know that a Brinly 10" sleeve and Brinly 12" cat 0 use a different bolt pattern so a 10" brinly won't work .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Theres a guy in up north that rebuilt a plow share for my friend down here and he did a great job!

I cant remember his name. I just remember he wheres funny looking hats, and I know why now that I own a welder and I keep my hair real short! ;)
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Vince , I like the way you volunteered Mike to do some work , he may have different ideals about that .
BM , I've actually got 2 plow points that need help , if your willing .
I'll gladly pay you for materials and labor .
I've got a new plow point that I can send with them , and it has one PD on it so you could use it as a pattern .
Barely wore the paint off it and it uses the same hole pattern .
Its up to you , your under no obligation.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

"Vince , I like the way you volunteered Mike to do some work , he may have different ideals about that ."
That's ok Jess one of these days Vince is gonna have visitors show up saying Big Mike said you would put us up and feed us :lol:

"Jess,you can always rebuild the share you have too. ;) 8-)"
That was my way of saying I can lend a hand.

grumpy
First and Last Name: Chuck Aldridge

Post by grumpy »

I just looked and 10" Brinly. 12" Brinly and a 10" Ohio share all have the same bolt pat.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

I ordered a new share from Brinly yesterday and I should get it before the weekend .
Mike , I'll probably save the old share and give it to you next PD ,to see if you can do anything with it , but I'm good for now .

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

I got my 12" brinly share point today and decided to post pictures of it compared to the 2 worn out shares I have changed recently . The one on top is off the 10" ohio steel plow , the middle one is off a 12" cat 0 I changed a while back ( its the one worn bad on 2 sides ) .
I laid the old one on top of the new one in the second picture and you can really see how much of the point is gone.
I may get some time in the future to try and build back the point , but right now its project #14 on the to do list out of about 25 .
Brinly got that new share to me in about 2 days , now thats what I call service .
Attachments
Sscn3380.jpg
Sscn3376.jpg