Computer Printer Question

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Computer Printer Question

Post by ReicheP »

I bought a new HP printer, an HP 8500 with wireless. To get my lap top to print I assume I have to install he HP software on the lap top too, correct?
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

CC1200
First and Last Name: Greg Galletti

Re: Computer Printer Question

Post by CC1200 »

Paul

What you need to communicate with the printer is the print driver which is on the Disc that came with the printer. The Disc probably contains an HP suite of applications to allow print/fax/copy etc.... through a HP application but if all your doing is printing the driver is all that is needed. I'd say it certainly cant hurt to do a quick install of the disc contents onto your laptop although it may take up a good number of MBs but that should certainly get you up and rolling. You may also simply go to your control panel and look for the printer icon and follow the prompts to install a new printer (be sure the printer is turned on and connected if you're not using the wireless feature). The laptop may already have the correct print driver for that printer installed, so all you'll need to do is select the printer model from the list provided to you in the control panel set-up. If you don't see your model in the list then I'd go ahead and do a simple install using the Disc you were provided with the printer.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

It was midnight when I posted the question and my brain wasn't working. The question should have stated the printer was installed correctly on my desk top but I needed to get it working with my lap top else where in the house using the wireless.

I just installed the HP software on the laptop, it found the wireless, the new printer and finished the installation.

All is well.

Thanks for the help.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

For those of you that don't have a wireless printer, you can still print to it with your wireless laptop if your printer is hooked up to a desktop computer which in return must be hooked up to your internet. The printer and desktop don't have to be wireless. My brother-in-law told me a few months ago how to find the printer on my network and wa la!
Adrian

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

How does that work? Does it go through the wireless router that runs into the desktop? The way I print off one or two pages all the time, that would be pretty useful.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Keep this info coming guys. My wife just got a new printer and I'd like to be able to print from my laptop. I haven't taken the time to try hooking it up yet.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

You'll need to open up your printer properties from your desktop and select the Sharing tab and then select the option to allow it to share. The next step may vary depending on operation system but with my Windows 7 laptop, I selected the option to add a printer and then it asked me if the printer was local or on a network. I selected that it was on the network and then it started searching and found the printer. Now with Windows 7 it already had the drivers/software for the HP printer I've got but some laptops you may have to add the printer software first. Now i don't know if you have to have your desktop turned on to access the printer since mine is always on, I've never tried it with the desktop turned off.
Adrian

CC1200
First and Last Name: Greg Galletti

Post by CC1200 »

Yes, I believe you need to have the desktop on for the sharing feature to work.