Any other gun nuts around here? :)

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
tompepper
First and Last Name: Denny Engle (tompepper)

Re: Any other gun nuts around here? :)

Post by tompepper »

bbaker wrote::shock: Aren't those assault rifles dangerous?? :shock:
Tactical weapon !!!!!
If you're gonna be dumb.you'd better be tough!!!!

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

tompepper wrote:
bbaker wrote::shock: Aren't those assault rifles dangerous?? :shock:
Tactical weapon !!!!!
Mine are only ever a weapon if you are either breaking in my house or trying to kill me. Otherwise they are either sporting rifles, or just simply firearms. :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

tractrs2nv
First and Last Name: Kevin Liles

Post by tractrs2nv »

This is a cool topic! Nice weaponry I see! Full auto,semi and bolt...that "lefty" caught my eye...my 12 yr old grandson is a left handed shooter. I did a course in armorer school when I was in the army and that got me hooked from there. That's when I fell in love w/the 1911A1 .45 ACP "match" builds. During basic training I was issued a very worn .45 to qualify with (had to aim off target to hit the silhouette due to a worn barrel/bushing). The D.I. issued me another but tighter pistol and the 50 meter targets had a nice group...therefore I qualified! The bond began.
My second love is Bill Ruger's 10-22 .22 cal. carbine. I bought a copy of Mark White's book "The Ultimate Ruger 10-22" shortly after coming off the press. It turned me into a fanatic builder with the bolts and trigger groups to cycle sub-sonic ammo(I love the quiet report which is outstanding for squirrel and frog hunting). I am currently working on cycling the .22 C.B. Long...well under mach 1 @ 800 fps. The after mrkt parts for these little rifles are abundant. I stone my own hammers w/a Brownells jig and get a safe 2 1/2 lb pull, very nice when a factory can range anywhere from 4 1/2 target up to a 9 lb pull...yuk! I use Wolff and Tony Kidd springs, Volquartsen triggers,bolt buffer, mag release and various stocks like Hogue,Boyd and recently Knoxx Axiom (had to glass fill) but nice adjustable AR style for youth shooting.

Cubnutz and Gunz...yep, I got it bad~
Attachments
Pre 1964 Colt 1911A1 and Kimber .45 ACP w/.22 conversion kit as well.
Pre 1964 Colt 1911A1 and Kimber .45 ACP w/.22 conversion kit as well.
more pics 002 (640x480).jpg (285.84 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
Ruger 10-22 w/.920 bull, Knoxx stock & cheek riser,Ruger double stack mags and several hrs of bench work.
Ruger 10-22 w/.920 bull, Knoxx stock & cheek riser,Ruger double stack mags and several hrs of bench work.
Additions~ 003 (640x480).jpg (202.04 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
Stoned/polished hammer,Hammer strut,polished sear,trigger plunger and magazine button.
Stoned/polished hammer,Hammer strut,polished sear,trigger plunger and magazine button.
barrels&partz 009 (580x435).jpg (212.27 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
Bead blasted trigger group. I made the extended mag release,auto bolt release and over travel trigger stop.
Bead blasted trigger group. I made the extended mag release,auto bolt release and over travel trigger stop.
Beab blasted and polished 013 (640x480).jpg (221.33 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
.920 polished,ported and 11 degree crown cut barrel.
.920 polished,ported and 11 degree crown cut barrel.
barrels&partz 011 (580x435).jpg (155.42 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
Last edited by tractrs2nv on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I may or may not have a 10-22 that needs a trigger job... :)

whatcha charge me?
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

EricR
First and Last Name: Eric Rice

Post by EricR »

My Grandfather used to shoot all the guns I have pictured (bench rest) back in the late 50's early 60's and now my father and I own a bunch from then. Yeah many years ago that "lefty" caught my eye also and I shoot left-handed also so it fits like a glove to me. :beer:

clayhustler
First and Last Name: mark cowans

Post by clayhustler »

ERICR is hat a 03 springfield sporter? Love love the unertl scopes. I want a 2 1/2 varmint scope very hard to fine. I have a bad bad problem when I find a old scope that needs to be cleaned up and used.Bryan do you shoot ling range 200-400 yds. I have a few steel plates I shoot at just wondering if you need any?

clayhustler

Post by clayhustler »

I like 24hourcampfire.com, rimfirecentral.com. Hey Bryan rimfire will show you how to do a trigger job on your Ruger. Also love the .22 rimfire. If it has tbe name REMINGTON on itit will have a new home.

EricR
First and Last Name: Eric Rice

Post by EricR »

clayhustler wrote:ERICR is hat a 03 springfield sporter? Love love the unertl scopes. I want a 2 1/2 varmint scope very hard to fine. I have a bad bad problem when I find a old scope that needs to be cleaned up and used.
The BIG lefty is in Rem 222 and the other two are 219 Donaldson wasps. They were all made here in PA.

clayhustler

Post by clayhustler »

I love the .219. I am sure a few chucks have fell there in Pa. To those beautiful rifles.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Well, I guess a day late is better than never, but I just wanted to wish everyone a belated 10/22!
Attachments
1022.jpg
1022.jpg (3.05 KiB) Viewed 13038 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

VScott wrote:Well, I guess a day late is better than never, but I just wanted to wish everyone a belated 10/22!
lol never thought of that...

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

LOL. I text a different 10/22 picture to my buddy every year. I'm mad that I didn't think about it sooner. Next year is the 50th anniversary of the 10/22 if you can believe that. I wonder if they are planning anything special. I know the 40th anniversary models had a badge or a medallion on the stock, but I don't really know if they are any more collectible than any other variation.

BTW the picture was just a random photo that I found online.

chucka
First and Last Name: Chuck Aldridge

Post by chucka »

I sit here at my desk listen to Rush Limbaugh and reload ammo every chance I get.
I'm not over weight, I'm under tall

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

bbaker wrote:I may or may not have a 10-22 that needs a trigger job... :)

whatcha charge me?
PM sent...
Collector,user,trader & parts for IH Louisville Works Cub Cadet on the Tenntucky line.

tractrs2nv

Post by tractrs2nv »

I built a headache rack for our Mule and at times I'll mount the Voodoo Tactical bag which fits perfectly on the rack and can be easily removed for hauling chores. Then later I added the gun rack. So now I can pack up to 3 long arms and 2 pistols w/bag and rack. No more banging my head on a gun rack in the cab of the Mule.
Attachments
Headache rack 004 (640x321).jpg
Headache rack 004 (640x321).jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
This Bag has mega storage!
This Bag has mega storage!
Voodoo chile 005 (640x428).jpg (167.54 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
Voodoo chile 001 (640x261).jpg
Voodoo chile 001 (640x261).jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
Palmetto M4 build.
Palmetto M4 build.
gunrack 002 (640x480).jpg (276.86 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
Ol smokey...our 1996 Polaris 400 Sportsman 4X4. Double gun rack  w/telescopic "spider web" getter. We know what it's like to get a face full of webs in our faces come early fall checking on our food plots~
Ol smokey...our 1996 Polaris 400 Sportsman 4X4. Double gun rack w/telescopic "spider web" getter. We know what it's like to get a face full of webs in our faces come early fall checking on our food plots~
4 wheeler 004 (640x471).jpg (313.12 KiB) Viewed 13007 times

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

With the holiday season fast approaching I think it's worthy to note that men build the tools of war (myself included) and that the tools of war do not make the man.

Mikhail Kalashnikov has passed away on this day at the age of 94, in 2007 he was quoted as stating "I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence."
Obit Kalashnik dec 23.JPG
Obit Kalashnik dec 23.JPG (55.7 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Well said sir !! Stand down and rest in peace
This new year may there be peace on earth and good will toward men- for I too sleep well ;)

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I had to google who he was. I knew he was holding an Ak47, I just didn't know he designed it! :)

I get a few projects done I want to build a shooting range at the farm at least 100 yards and I need to look at a map of the place to see if I can find a way to safely shoot long distances there as well.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

BB
That surprises me....I would have thought you would have recognized the name... The father of the SKS first and then the AK47.
The SKS came about during WWII but if you look deep, you will find that he had a lot to do with a lot of guns designs.

He has an interesting history.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Alright Frank once I took the time to sound out his name I have indeed heard of him. I can't speak Russian nor can I read it :)

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

.308 Savage I just got through putting together. Hope to be able to shoot effectively up to 800 yards, and maybe even 1,000 with it. Just gotta find a place to be able to shoot that far safely! :shock:
Attachments
20140212_182726[1].jpg
20140212_182726[1].jpg (634.82 KiB) Viewed 12937 times

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

A while back the discussion was regarding Ruger. Love them or loathe them the Mini 14 shall continue to remain on the scene.
While bone stock ones right from the factory were never intended to be a tack driver straight out of the box many of these grouped much better than others. Such was the case with this one.
DSCN4204.JPG
DSCN4204.JPG (234.31 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
As with the AR and AK platforms there's a ton on aftermarket products out there that are junk and it's important to have a plan during a build and being selective regarding componets, disregarding any errors previously made during the process of purchasing junk of course.
Starting with the trigger group a Tapco adjustable trigger assembly was used and the trigger it is set for short pull and break at 3 and 1/2 pounds. A buffer suppressor is installed behind the bolt. At the muzzle end, an Eagle ventilated aluminum barrel shroud and Eagle milled billet steel flash reducer are used. The barrel shroud really releases a lot of heat. An optional H&K style front sight bolts directly to the flash reducer. While never directly intended as such, this perfectly compliments the Tech SIGHTS rear .062 ring peep sight. The UltiMAK aluminum upper barrel shroud replaces the stock fiberglass hand guard unit and substantially stiffens the whole platform a lot. Direct scope mounting on it is possible but not used in this case as it would obstruct the iron sights. Instead, a B-Square detachable scope mount is used to retain a nothing special Bushnell 3 to 9 power scope. The stock is a Hogue fiberglass based rubber coated piece, and it's additional inch length at the butt helps improve stance. Also, the Harris bipod adds a little more weight at the fore end and is hard to beat when bench shooting. Removing it or the scope takes seconds.
A factory Ruger magazine is shown here and there was a time when they were very difficult to obtain however that is no longer so much the case.

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Yep I have a mb 500 and a rem 700 series 30ott6 and a 870 12 gauge and a 32 special
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

bbaker wrote:.308 Savage I just got through putting together. Hope to be able to shoot effectively up to 800 yards, and maybe even 1,000 with it. Just gotta find a place to be able to shoot that far safely! :shock:
What do you have for glass and do you reload?
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Jeff in Pa wrote:
bbaker wrote:.308 Savage I just got through putting together. Hope to be able to shoot effectively up to 800 yards, and maybe even 1,000 with it. Just gotta find a place to be able to shoot that far safely! :shock:
I do reload its a lot of fun too. Most of my rifles have nikon glass that one has a nikon M308 bdc scope.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I like savage tactical rifles :-)
Attachments
20140212_184038.jpg
20140212_184038.jpg (646.72 KiB) Viewed 12883 times

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

bbaker wrote:
Jeff in Pa wrote:
I do reload its a lot of fun too. Most of my rifles have nikon glass that one has a nikon M308 bdc scope.
I see you may have a chance to actually hit the target at long range. Quite a few folks have decided to shoot long range and are surprised at the cost of premium ammo plus find out how hard it really is. Nikon makes some nice glass.

Nice selection of rifles you have there and since you enjoy reloading, you know how to find the best load for the rifle. Good choice with Savage too, one of the most accurate (affordable) factory rifles made. :beer:
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Collections of rifles are like collections of cubs never take a picture of all of them at once

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I would love to post images of all the guns I used to own but that would probably violate king cuomos law. Suffice it to say that prior to a horrible boating accident where all my firearms went into a very deep lake I had some nice ones. Now I just have my NY legal sling shot and one small stone.... :twisted:
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

I have a few guns 870 Remington 700 series 30.6 38 special and a mossberg 500
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

LFR wrote:Yep I have a mb 500 and a rem 700 series 30ott6 and a 870 12 gauge and a 32 special
LFR wrote:I have a few guns 870 Remington 700 series 30.6 38 special and a mossberg 500
Yeah I think you might have mentioned that before! :)