Why is this website so dead???

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Why is this website so dead???

Post by Farmallgray »

I know there were several dedicated GT pulling forums and Yahoo groups that used to get a lot of traffic three to four years ago. Now they are completely dead. And I mean no new posts for weeks at a time. But there are several pulling groups on Facebook that get 20 or more new posts each day.

I actually prefer the forum format to facebook, but you have to go where the traffic is to get your "fix". I guess the advantage with FB is that folks can get all their intrests kind of grouped together and don't have to go to multiple pages to see new posts.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Most of the forums I'm on are warm weather activities. ( motorcycles and Cub Cadets) Posting tapers off when it's nice out and becomes more active when weather is bad or cold.
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I don't use face book because it opens the door to a lot of SPAM. Our website with "no advertising" doesn't attracts it. We get about i new request every day but not many post after they sell or buy items or get a couple of questions answered. For some reason having to give your city/town and state (which I really like) is the reason we get better member than people that can hide behind a user name. Still the "Friendliest Site" on the Net.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Kinda lost interest.....in Cubs....... other IMPORTANT things have taken over.......BB you know what I am speaking of....

Still have lots of cubs and STUFF...and will be at Cub-arama even though I'd rather be in Pierce, NB for the big auction.
Will have to bid on line instead.

Finally picked up a 982(yellow version) that I bought 2 years ago along with a 680.....

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

I have noticed the Only Cub Cadets site has much more activity the times I have been on there. I don't go there enough to see what they have going, but for a week awhile back, I checked everyday and there were always loads of new posts. Maybe a lot of us have learned what we need to know about our Cubs and lost the drive to check in to a forum everyday.

Seems like the fellows that made the Registry great moved on to other things, which is how we live life. I look over my life time and I have had different interests in different seasons of life. Many of us had the great pleasure of participating in a great time of the IH Registry. I will always remember the early plow days and all the fun everyone had. But life is not static and things do change. Some have moved on to the bigger tractors and have acquired small farms. Some like myself, have become more involved in my Rototiller hobby and grandchildren.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

CubbinCal
First and Last Name: Calvin Woodrey

Post by CubbinCal »

Whats so funny about me being an elected official Vinny? :dontknow:
I'm hittin easy street on AG tires!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Not that I am anybody, but I'll chime in...

I still check in here almost everyday, but I generally don't post unless I think I am really being useful. After the Registry folded I checked out the other two sites but was relieved when this forum replaced the Registry. I never did sign up with either of the other forums (although I think someone else has my username over there, but it is not me). I also have no interest in Facebook and do not participate.

I also mostly topped out on the learning curve for my tractors, so I don't need to ask as many questions. All get worked regularly and earn their keep.

I prefer the quality of our membership and I like seeing first and last names (even if they might be an alias), city and state, etc. I would rather have more of a family group than just go for high traffic. I also like our lack of advertising, seems more honest; just a group of friends talking, not someone at the top trying to make a buck.

I do agree that easier picture posting would improve our site, but otherwise I am happy with it. I too will have more time in the winter. Tough winters tend to bring out some good pics!

So, in closing, I hope we all stay the course and keep checking back in here. Although I don't post as much lately, I would really miss this site if it ended.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

RPepper
First and Last Name: Ryan Pepper

Post by RPepper »

I too haven't been on here much, probably haven't posted in a couple years, but still have 5 Cub Cadets and use them as needed. Most of them are in good operating condition and I have learned most I needed to maintain or fix them already through this forum or the former registry, so don't have to ask any questions that haven't already been posted. I guess I have all the attachments that I need(still want a loader though), so I am not looking for much in the way of parts, attachments or whole tractors. I would like to get to another plow day sometime, hopefully can get one of my boys to come along.
I do hope this forum does stay around, that it will be a valuable resource and opportunity to communicate with others who enjoy the hobby.
Thanks to those that keep it going.
Ryan

IH4Ever
First and Last Name: Jeff Richardson

Post by IH4Ever »

I miss the old IH Registry too. Man, those were the days. I remember being in the Navy and ole Bowersox would give me a chat room so that my wife and I could talk when I was on deployment in Japan or where ever. I met SOOO many good people on there. I joined here as soon as I could. I miss all of the times of being picked on, doing some picking on others, and over all having fun sharing the knowledge. I was driving through West Virginia and I called Tony and he talked me into stopping by as I was cruising by Hurricane. I stopped and we had a BLAST! Spent the night and off early the next day. It was and still is a family. Whenever I get to talk to one of you, it is like we catch up right away and pick up where we left off. I miss the times with Eric Lewis and his awesome mind and abilities to weld and build and create awesome projects that I thought were cool. There are so many great memories. I still have my 169 and I got another and I have about 14 total. Some more will have to go, but the majority will stay with me till I die I reckon. I got into Farmall Cubs, and now have a Deere. But through it all I still have memories and fondness of those times. So how do where do we go from here. That is up to us as a group. I guess, we just make an effort to check in like some of us do. We go to PD and we have fun. Life does get busy.
Loving IH for over a decade.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

So we have an idea why it's slow,what do we do to pick it up again?

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Give Vince 1650 and a camera and watch him work on it.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I have tired many times to get Vince to come to AWs plowday and he can plow with my 1450 but he's always letting being a responsible adult get in the way :lol:

mrbrown
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Post by mrbrown »

BigMike wrote:I have tired many times to get Vince to come to AWs plowday and he can plow with my 1450 but he's always letting being a responsible adult get in the way :lol:
Well,maybe if we all donate to his gas, make him bring us a truck load of parts, he will take a vacation. Mike

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I think we might have better luck baiting him with chips and beer(or cookies) :lol:

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

:beer: :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

MMiller
First and Last Name: Matt Miller

Post by MMiller »

Seth Pat and I are still all into collecting (some are now the larger relatives of the cub cadets), but like skip said (he left me out) we all have kids and are just really busy and don't get on the site much anymore.

Matt

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Will an 1864 work? :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 13999 times
-Andrew Jackson

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Teaching your kids to part out Cubs, Vince this is serious. A call to Children and Youth m might be in order!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Really parting it out for a friend whos sick. I needs the steering valve he needs the rear andbthevrubber the frame may be used in sammy and Is pulling project this winter. Had a sears front end on it no eng drive shaft is broke ect. We need to find some deeres to part out, to build up the kids collage fund!
-Andrew Jackson

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Truth be told, it is dead as a mackerel around here. That's why I'm not here too very often. Some of the old "pros" are simply too darn tired of the same old questions coming from the new members. I love to picture of steps I take to make a repair. Its hard to get pictures up here and where the 4 other kids play in the sandbox. The other 2-3 forums I frequent are easy to post pictures, that really can draw a crowd of interest in these great IH Tractors. I recently had made a pretty good documentation of how to remove the from axel on a narrow frame with lots of pictures. Everyone at the forum loved it, and plus I helped someone out. You just don't see that here at Cub Cadet Collectors.

I'm a old Registry member before the crash, then one day "POOF" it was gone. I do enjoy Cub Cadet Collectors and would like to see some changes. No one here seems to understand that. I also get PO'D when I read about someone trying to bully, or "joo" some one down to nothing out of a garden tractor tractor that is for sale, offering what the scrap man gets on the sale. Too many parting out of IH Cub Cadets also.
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

Post by wham »

I still hang around mostly just reading, then again Vince has convinced most everyone here that I'm not human just a computer image or something like that (even after he has actually met me). I still enjoy reading what some of the "ole timers" on here post about their cubs and especially when some of the guys from up around Louisville that actually worked for IH get to posting pictures or articles from the production days of the IH CC's (do we have a historical section just for that?). It's still a much more friendly site than most of the others and I have to give old "*****" credit here, he is the reason I use this site and before it the "Registry" for my Cub Cadet Fix. I kept asking questions (across the street, as some call it) and he told me basically in so many words to get lost hahaha that I would fit in better here. Guess I should send him a thank you card some day!

Tim H.
now that's funny that his name get's a line of asterisk here LOL, just noticed that in the preview.
Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

I have sure noticed it too. I wish it was as active as it was before the crash. I do notice new members from time to time, and I feel like I am overstepping my bounds by welcoming them. I have more Cubs than ever, and still enjoy the hobby, but I don't rely on the forum like I used to, mainly because I have either found good reference materials on my own, or have enough experience to troubleshoot most of the stuff by myself. A lot of that experience and info came from right here (or the previous version). I have not, and probably will not join any other (Cub Cadet specific) forums, as I see the owners and moderators as a bunch of control freaks that love to "put people in their place". I see one person formerly from this forum as a moderator on a couple of different garden tractor sites, and honestly reading his words make me sick. He didn't know sh*t from apple butter on here, and is an expert on everything on the other brand sites. I refuse do facebook, I have seen too many relationships ruined over the concept of letting the world know every time you fart so all of your "friends" can "like" it. And I don't care for Yahoo groups. The layout is not as user friendly as it is here. I am totally disgusted with the for sale and wantin and looking sections. I have been stood up, sh*t on, and blatantly lied to by several members on several different occasions when trying to sell parts or tractors.(You know who you are). The thing that has stuck in my mind the most is that there was a thread about old trucks that got more views and replies than just about any other subject to date...really???

What can be done to make it better?

Since this topic came up, I have been trying to post more. I have been trying to help out if I can. I have been trying to spend more time reading the forum. I wish pictures were easier to post, but I also wish more of us would comment on the pictures that people take the time to post. I wish the MTD/CCC side would get more interest, this is the bulk of my collection right now.

Sorry, hope this didn't turn in to too much of a rant, but I do hate to see what seems to be a total lack of interest, and wanted to give my two cents worth. I know about 10 other forum members, and have talked to most of them in the last year or so about this exact subject, and they have all noticed the decline too. I am going to do my part to make it better. I do appreciate the time and effort of the moderators and administrators. We wouldn't have any of this without you, thank you very much.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Why would you think you were over stepping boundries by welcomeing someone> If Im not misstaken its your ? everyones forum to post what they want as long as you dont cus someone out orputpics of 2 guys kissing on the front porch. :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

"He didn't know sh*t from apple butter" that right there is a rib tickler!

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Good point Vince, the only thing not welcome is someone parting out 1650's! :beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I want to tag onto something Vinny Scott pointed out...

The CCC side of the house has always felt a little left out. I understand it more from the Registry days because with the continuous thread deal you had to break it down into some separate categories somehow. The problem is that the 82 series is split between the IH side and the CCC side. And the Cyclops is really mostly still the same tractor with some improvements wrapped in crappier clothing (that I kind of both like and hate...).

Now that we have individual threads, I would prefer to see at least all the GT stuff together. I once suggested that we separate by series, but a lot of the family feeling of the Registry came from that one continuous thread that made you a part of what someone else was doing, even if it was with a series that you didn't own.

The only reason for separate sub-forums is due to high traffic that makes it difficult to find what you are interested in. We don't have that problem, so we can maintain quality over quantity by putting all the Cub stuff in one place.

I don't want to go all the way back to just one continuous thread again, but I think with the topic separation there isn't any reason that the IH stuff and the CCC stuff can't live together. With the IH and CCC stuff separated, the 1872 guy will never get help from an IH 982 guy that isn't checking both places.

So, even with no changes, this will still be my only Cub forum, but can we discuss lumping all the Cub's together? If an Original series guy doesn't want to read a Cyclops thread, he just won't click on it. If Vince O. sees a Quietline thread, he will just take a swig from the jug and move on. No harm, no foul. Put all the Cubs in the same garage together and make us one family again. With just one consolidated Cub forum we will have more members at least viewing all the topics.

Lastly - Many thanks to the administrators and mods. Please hang in there for us; even with low posting rates, we all still seem to be here for the long haul.

Rant over (for now). :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

I really dont Part all QLs, some I sell whole. I dont look at the threads on them cause they aint my cup of tea. The reason Ive parted so many out is cause theres so many people wanting parts for them. I have maybe cut ten qls over the years. I just mostly post the comments to get peoples blood preasure up, and it works!One thing is that its your tractor you can paint them any color you want make any mods to them you want cause they are yours. i dont think Ive ever told anyone that something looked bad, maybe I expressed my opion like the 23 deg tires, that I dont like the looks. I have a friend in Charlotte that has some of the craziest made tractors. One comes to mind, wide frame, with round fenders, 27 inch tall tires. tall skinny tires in the front, 1330 front end. The thing plows great, he has fun at the plow days so who am I to judge.

Someone please pass the jug! :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I like Toms idea.....they are all family whether built in Louisville,Brownsburg or Cleveland.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

OK Mods... you guys listening?

Please make it easier to post pictures. My problem is always my pictures are too big. Except they aren't all that big, but this site won't accept them. That has to be my biggest complaint.

Second I too like the idea of joining the forums (at least I think I do).

We have to get new members, and they will come if they like the site. But if like me they can't post a picture all that easily they will leave and get help somewhere else.

I agree the "registry group" has always been like a family and is still the friendliest group on the net so it is worth working to make it better is it not?
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

I have installed code about 2 weeks ago that now allows you to post a picture any size and the software will resize it accordingly, also the 256kb size limit has been lifted to 5mb. although that wasnt working correctly till yesterday cause i missed a setting deep in the admin.
Pictures now show up in a nice popup layer when clicked on

Also you can now upload more than one picture at a time with the conventional shift+click or ctrl+click

You may still get shutdown at 20 mb... that part is unclear to me if thats a single file or any upload session. either way its a server limit.

Let me know if anyone has any issues with this.

As far as combining the 2 forums.. i have no problem with it.... and im sure the other mods will agree

Fact is those tractors are very similair in most aspects aside from looks and electrical

Dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......