Why is this website so dead???

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Why is this website so dead???

Post by bbaker »

So... I know I took a hiatus too, but why is this website so dead? The registry was active, and always had new posts, but here it just seems like too many have moved on or the excitement is gone.

I know some will argue but on multiple pages here posts over a month old are just a few down from the top. This just isn't a very active forum. Notice I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but it certainly is not as active as the old registry was.

Are we not attracting new members? Is there some other newer forum everyone is at?

WHATS GOING ON? :shock:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Why is this website so dead???

Post by Klapatta »

There's something of a general overall trend going on lately as far from I can tell
One website shows activity but really it's the same four or five guys posting each other
Anther lists 43 members viewing but really they just left the site logged on.
I ain't goin noplace else :lol:

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Klapatta wrote:There's something of a general overall trend going on lately as far from I can tell
One website shows activity but really it's the same four or five guys posting each other
Anther lists 43 members viewing but really they just left the site logged on.
I ain't goin noplace else :lol:
I hear ya Ken, I just wondered if the gang left this sandbox and was playing in a neighbor kid's sandbox with all the other cool kids.. :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I think a lot of people are going to facebook. I'm thinking about starting a FB page that will link to this site.
There are a bunch of FB groups on Cub Cadets but none that I really like.

I think we really took a hit when the Registry
went down and never got lot of people back.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Farmallgray wrote:
I think we really took a hit when the Registry
went down and never got lot of people back.
Yeah.... Someone with the initials of MB should be tarred and feathered......

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

While the methods of media and communication constantly evolve there's a whole lot more than that going on.
At a local regional engine show six or seven years ago I had to be there by 8AM Saturday morning to get the last spot in the back if I wanted to display. Last year that field was 3/4 empty. Attendance at all of our county fairs is way down, and we have some of the best there is. The flea markets are half empty too and it's mostly all junk now anyhow.
My Daughter's high paying jetsetting job went poof with the CEO sleeping in a rental car in three months. Now she makes half her old salary. My Son got laid off Friday after four and a half years along with half the production workforce- last year this time he was on mandatory 10 hour days. I'm trying to get him an entery level position where I have been ten years but so far that's been like pulling a mule up a ladder while they scream for help (so they say). The coffee shop in town closed Sunday without notice and they seemed to be well liked among the locals.
I booked a couple nights up near the Canada border at a five star lodge/ restaurant later for later this Summer at 84 bucks a night, what's wrong with that picture?
So far as media goes I see people that text each other in the same room- I prefer my TrakPhone, a hello, and a handshake :lol:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I know interests change and folks come and go but I really miss the days of CubRick,The Mayor,Skott,Geezer,AW,Merk,Rick Harris and ole BB hanging out having fun,learning about Cubs,playing with our Cubs and just generally razzing one another.
For me collecting reached a peak and the urge to have every model and attachment has passed.I still use my Cubbies but don't spend as much time working on them as I used to.
I still visit the site almost every day and add content when I can but I too have noticed the slow down in traffic here.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

BM, I am looking forward to plowday at AW's.

I mowed with my 782 yesterday but I haven't done much with the GT's for a while.

D Nafziger
First and Last Name: Dean Nafziger

Post by D Nafziger »

Just a suggestion, I just read a post on here "You need to make it easy to post pictures......". I for one have never figured out how to post a picture yet on a Facebook link as well as other sites it is so simple. This may invite events readers want to share. Just a thought. Dean

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

For me the threat of being sued from some a hole on another site just took the fun out of it. I too miss the old site. Tony picking on folks Short bed posting pics of all sorts of junk he go from BB. My hero Seth has kids now and his brother too. Now Im so busy at the bota dealer I dont have time really to work on anything. Not to mention I check for new members signing up. Like BM the thrill of finding a new tractor every week has passed. My metal working has taken its place. I still enjoy the plow days and some of the shows. More just to talk to people that I havent seen in a long time. My kids have lost intrest in the tractors as far as working on them. They still use them for chores around the house.

Im still greatfull for the old site. If it wernt for you guys i wouldnt be where I am today, taking a hobby and turning it into a really fun job. Look at the friends Ive made here, Todd, Paul, Merk, Short Bed, Tony, Scott, Geezer, Toolman, Timmy, and the list goes on! You guys are some of the best people Ive ever met. I REALLY mean that. Mayor called us a family, I belive that at one time we were, and we still are, just some of the folks have moved on.

And you all know how BB and I feel about each other! :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Glad I kept reading, I was about to think I didn't make the list! :)

Picture posting here does stink as anything I take is "too big"

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

I have always had a cub cadet but I am a newer kid (42) on the block here and with forms in general ,i have only been collecting for a few yrs now. I joined maybe 2 yrs back and man this site was active , you always could get an answer or help out someone else with a problem.I knew there were other sites out there but did not feel the need to join as this was good for me, I did see things slowing down and stumbled on "only _____ ____" site. I must say I do both sites almost every day just to see whats new get my cub "fix" and I know there are others who also do the same. Both are great sites and have tons to offer for beginners and experts alike. THANK YOU to all the guys who make and keep these sites up and running for something as simple and as boring as a cub cadet garden tractor. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

At least on this site we can talk about ANY subject we want(within reason) without be chastised :lol:

cheifsix
First and Last Name: Matthew Shockley

Post by cheifsix »

I just figured it was the weather. That everyone was out on their Cubs instead of talking about them. I've been so busy between the house, a job, and the farm that I haven't been keeping up on here. i felt sure everyone would be back come the cold days of winter.
Matt Shockley
Barksprings Ridge Farm&Antiques
'67 102,'67 125,'69 104,'70 106,'70 107, '70&'71 126
Brinly:10" plow, 3 discs, box scraper, cultivator
'63 Sears Suburban 725
'00 CaseIH c50

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

I'll definitely be more active in the winter... I have been mostly reading when I can this summer. Typically, I use the tractors in the summer, and spend my time outdoors. I spend little time in front of the computer screen in the summer, especially since I work at one all day.

Looking forward to more activity when daylight hours get short again.
PTWannaHave

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

It was a good 10 years ago or so I accidentally bought this Original from a guy in Evansville (BB) that mentioned the registry to me. Before then I hardly ever touched a computer and figured out ALL issues with cubs on my own through trial and error. 10 years later computers are all but out-dated.

I'd attribute the lack of interest to several things that add up.

-With the economy cubs took a real hit. A cub that was $600 5 years ago can't sell for $150 around here. $1000 cubs given away for $500 and slow moving at that. Only ones buying cubs are teenagers it seems like, most of which are only on Facebook as mentioned and in the era of texting only. Hard to build a new heritage with fewer forum savy readers buying cubs. The registry already had its group of people built before Iphone/texting/facebook/etc was big.

-We're entering an era of zero communication it seems like. People would rather not sell to you than answer a call or won't buy from you. If you don't text, you don't communicate now. So much easier to never talk to a person. Who's going to take the time to read a forum anymore when they're only source of internet is a smartphone... and a slow-typing all touchscreen one at that? Few people will take the time to post anymore typing on one of those. I know several of these people. That being said I post from my Blackberry some but most people don't take that kind of time.

-Next, we lost a lot of our "regulars" and seldom seen but always around lurkers with the registry that never found us here.

-Lastly, no it isn't the same as the registry was in my opinion and I doubt I'm alone.

One thing is still for sure though. This is the one place I've never seen heated exchanges and constant criticism of others for forum behavior that in the bigger picture is more harassment than keeping things efficient. That's the reason I still read/post/participate as I have time.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Kev in a word

YEP! and you know what Im talking about
-Andrew Jackson

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Since I'm a GEEZER I don't have a cell phone(Wife dose and was bought for emergencies like this
I'm on the bridge
which means she will be home in 60 seconds and I have to carry the groceries in :lol:
I don't "Twitter" and don't go on Face(less) Book to let forum members every time I post :puter: and only look at the videos posted on forums on Utube.
I was a teenager in 1950 and got to live in the greatest Decade ever. It's a crazy world we live in beathorse:

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Ok let me chime in here, several days ago I made a post asking about steering box adjustment. To date no answers. In the old registry days I would have had some sort of reply in an hour. So with no reply, why hang around here? Now I'm quite sure I can find the info I need somewhere on the net so I'm being lazy asking here, but with out questions and answers this forum will die.

Of course I could go over to C. Diggers forum and ask there, but he locked me out years ago just because I called him an idiot.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Klapatta wrote:While the methods of media and communication constantly evolve there's a whole lot more than that going on.
Not so much communication, but for the last 30 or so years virtually every USA manufacturing job has quietly been out sourced to Asia. With out those blue collar manufacturing jobs no one an afford a hobby like Cubs. For the longest time our economy was held up solely by building houses funded by easy credit. As the housing bubble crashed all that was left for workers was service jobs, house cleaners, nursing home staff, fast food etc. A family can't survive with two adults working 3 service jobs a piece let alone buy a cub and have some fun.

Buying and selling chinese crap to each other can only go along for awhile before everyone figures out it's all a card game and the dealer just folded.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Paul, it's not just about China I think. I'm involved in the commercial aerospace industry and while orders are soaring for product for the new GE engine, most of our older product (such as for the 737 as an example), are being sent to our sister company in Mexico. These products are proven on long perfected tooling that is shipped and run there on a cost saving basis.
Some years back I bought an Chevy exhaust manifold at NAPA and the thing was made in Vietnam :x

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

Chumlee I didn't make the list. :roll: :lol: The old site was great. A lot of good info got lost. I myself lost interest but still have about 15 cadets. Sold most of my O's even serial #768 went down the road. Every one is buying and stiping them now days. Cant find them around here anymore. Lewis or the guy down is south jeresy buys them all. I bought 3 about 2 years ago and they went down the road.
I still check in regularly.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Paul , I seen your post about the 1811 steering slop , but was rather busy working and figured someone else would help you . I posted a reply to your steering problem .

As far as the other site across the street which I've never been a member , I occasionally visit the site to see who's bickering and see the occasional RTFM or you should look in the FAQ section of their site . Seems to be the usual answer to a new member asking a question about a problem with their cub .

They're certainly not as friendly as this site .

As far as the old Registry goes , it had its own problems , but I do occasionally miss it .
I joined it fairly early after it was formed and a fair amount of its members have followed over to this site .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

For all of you guys missing the Registry, here you go!
Blue1st.gif
Blue1st.gif (5.82 KiB) Viewed 13571 times

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Sounds like alot of stuff that could be asked in the

"what would you like to see here" post

Like improved picture posting abilities.

Then i could look into it. otherwise im like a blind man playing baseball
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

IT is what it is,I miss those dickerson post.
Now Mike I haven't bought one in 1 day 18hrs 45min 36 sec. :lol:
Attachments
Picture 286.jpg
Picture 286.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 13562 times
HPIM0410.JPG
HPIM0410.JPG (131.13 KiB) Viewed 13559 times

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

It is interesting to note how prices have changed. It seems like some Cub stuff has dropped in price with the economy, but some of the rarer stuff has steadily increased in price. I see the prices on some stuff and it makes me glad I was able to accumilate what I have back when stuff was cheaper.

I must admit I don't check in as often as I used to and I probably spend (waste) more time on Facebook. But most of my time spent there is still tractor related.

I still play with and work on Cubs but it is mostly pulling now and using and maintaining the ones I have. I still have a few custom projects I'd like to do in the future. Lately my work schedule
has really been cutting into my shop time too.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

How about these.
Attachments
94900.jpg
012.JPG

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Magoo You didnt make the list cause you gave me a nick name that stuck! :lol: So many boxes show up here with Chumlee on them!

I have had many people ask me about the new site and lack of posting. I site one big reason most of us on this site have had all the tractors we want, except Lew. We dont get the routeen posts what oil what gas ect. NOT that there is anything wrong with those types of questions, I know Ive asked them, but we just dont get the newbee stuff.

Look at most of us, Todd is pulling, Steve T pulling and into big ones, Tony is on the road, Scott is super busy, Doog is all over facebook with crazy posts, Cal is an elected offical :lol: , Dont have a clue where don up in Canada is or Ryan Pepper, Seth and Pat are starting families and it goes on. I miss Jim Cabot posting pics of his cats, anyone ever hear from Don that bought Toolmans 1872 with the loader? I talked with geezer for a bit the other day, i always enjoy talking with him, shocking he called me!

I do remember that the old forum was busier in the winter all the time spent inside. I will say this, this is the nicest group of guys youll meet. The site _ _ _ other than Allen and Sam the rest of the mods over there can kiss my fat butt! Ones love to threaten you and the other is a Dumb _ _ _. Im glad I saved all the messages theve sent me over the years. Im glad I was never treated that way by folks here. Heck it was seth and another high school kid, cant remember his name from New York, that got me straightened up. I used to look forward to the nites in the chat with Cal Dale Jess Erick Don Seth, Short bed, BB and more.

Wish I still had some of the pics from back then.
-Andrew Jackson

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

So it appears others have noticed this too. I don't have any advice to offer on how to fix it, and maybe it will pick up in the winter some, but I've noticed this for some time so I think that is more wishful thinking than anything.

I said originally I had lost some interest in GT's as well so I am somewhat to blame, but it's not just me and the guys that have posted in this thread.

The people are what made the registry so great. The people are what makes this site good too, but I'm thinking there must be a "new sandbox" in town and that is where the newbies are going? Garden tractors is a very cheap hobby compared to other ventures so it has to attract new people just like it did all of us at one point.