2182 for a 154 lo boy

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

2182 for a 154 lo boy

Post by MattS »

I was thinking of trading my 2182 for a 154 lo boy. I've never been on a 154, so I don't know what it's capabilities are. Can anyone advise on what to expect from a 154? How do they compare against a SGT? Thanks

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Re: 2182 for a 154 lo boy

Post by Paulf »

Matt, I can't tell you how the 154 compares to a SGT, but I can tell you they don't have a lot of power. We used to mow our yard with two LoBoys. You have to keep the grass mowed short. In the spring with a lot of rain I'd sometimes have to take only about a third of a cut or the motor would bog down. On the other hand, we have a pretty hilly yard and I really liked the stability of the LoBoy. We used the two of them for 20 years or so. They were pretty well worn out when I traded them in and a rebuild is pretty expensive.

jchabot
First and Last Name: Jim Chabot

Post by jchabot »

MattS wrote:I was thinking of trading my 2182 for a 154 lo boy. I've never been on a 154, so I don't know what it's capabilities are. Can anyone advise on what to expect from a 154? How do they compare against a SGT? Thanks
Never had an SGT, so I can't give you a direct compare, but I do have 154.

The 154 is tall, it won't fit as well under tree branches, in exchange you get a bigger tractor feel and ride.

154 is a four cylinder, so it should be quieter an smoother, the engine runs at a slower rpm as well.

Manueverability is good, the front steers pretty sharp and the steering is real light, almost as good as power steering.

There is hydraulic lift for the deck, but no hydro tranny, gear drive only.

Parts can get expensive, especially clutch parts.
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Matt - I have two Supers, but never a Lo-Boy...But I have considered a similar question for myself previously. As neat as the Lo-Boy is, I decided it just isn't as versatile for myself. For the Supers you have the choice of a belly or 3-point mower (they can be found), a snow blade and a snow thrower, tiller, loader, etc. There are also a few other Cat 0 three point attachments you can use: garden plow, rear blade, box blade, etc.

I know that the 154 can push a snow blade, but no snow blower. I believe there is a loader for it, but probably much harder to find than one for a Super. So, for my uses, I decided to buy a second Super instead of a Lo-Boy, but I still think they are neat. I would start with what jobs you really want the tractor to do for you then decide which one will do it best.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Lets not forget the cost of the clutch repair! High cost and you have to split the tractor I think. They look cool wouldnt mind having one in the colection, but havent heard much good about them.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

Vince you're correct on the clutch you have to split the tractor
105 147 1650 382 782D

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

ok I have owned lots of both supers and 154s I know for a fact I woulnd not trade a good running 2182 for a 154 the 154 has a lot of expensive parts that need fixed thats why I part them clutch and pto to name 2 if you want to talk at length call me 717 587 3727
Tom s they do make a blower for the 154 its a 50 in blower front mounted

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Both the 154 tractor clutch and the PTO clutch pac and short shaft can be very expensive to repair (several hundred $$$$$) :o :shock: . Of the 3 numbered series Lo-Boy's (154, 185,184) the 184 is probably the best, but it is my understanding it also has some problems. In my opinion, the 154/185 Lo-Boy's and Cub Cadet creeper drives both have limited use, and the best thing to do with either one is to sell it :lol: .
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Post by MattS »

Thanks for all the input guys. I think the loboys look neat too, but if it doesn't work as well as a super I just can't justify the trade. I got a picture of the 154 and it looks a little rough anyway, no deck either.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ray - Egg on my face...I did not know they had a blower for the Lo-Boys! I am guessing they are pretty rare these days? It is hard enough to find a good clean 450 now! (I got mine, but I sure hope I don't ever need a new gearbox!)
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

I have both SGT's and 154. One of the bigggest advantages of the 154 is stabality, especially if you have the wide low rear turf tires. I take my 154 places where NO SGT will go.....it is nearly impossible to tip it over...on eof th emost stable tractors I have ever used.
With a strong engine, it will pull the 60" deck nicely. Not made to mow super tall grass but I mow nromal grass in 2nd gear all the time with mine.

I do wish I still had my 184 for several reasons. 1...steerng brakes, 2....Hi-Lo gear box....3...Extra 3 HP...4....Electric PTO Clutch....

I have been using my LO BOYS for nearly 10 years and won't be without one even though I have nearly every model X72 SGT's and several Cyclops models.

Not a big fan of the skinny truf or ag tires that were also available.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've had 4 154's and a 185 now. When the engines are tuned right and the decks are good, they are one of the nicest things to use when cutting grass. If one isn't well maintained though, I wouldn't have it. Very comfortable tractors and in the Spring when the ground is always wet, water can be standing on the ground and you cannot sink them with the wide tires. There's been times I've ran across really wet ground where lateral lines are and what-have-you and no tracks at all.
One big downfall in my mind... my 782 is still as fast or faster than a properly tuned 154/185, which is why my 185 left this summer. I did love using the tractor though.

Come to think about it, did I even answer anything here? :lol:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!