Tools

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Tools

Post by LFR »

So I am 14 built a HUGE pole barn and have no tools except the very basics. Wrenches screwdrivers and sockets. I obviously need more for workin on tractors. The only real stuff I have is a drill press, bench grinder, vise, and just ordered a sand blasting unit from tractor supply. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Re: Tools

Post by ReicheP »

You need a small scissor jack for changing wheels out, Oil change equipment, oil dry for when you drip oil on the floor, A good trouble light, shop manuals!
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

LFR

Post by LFR »

I have a floor jack I just bought and just got a trouble light with a extension out let I do need to go and get oil dry and a oil catch pan. Thanks for the thoughts it sounds like I purchased smart!!!
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

LFR
If you don't already have a big supply of compressed air you will need it for your new sandblaster. Along with air I would buy an impact gun tire chuck blower air chisel etc. I use 18v dewalt impact guns I have 3 right now, one is 1/4 drive for small sockets and a 1/2 drive that is on its last leg plus the new one that will soon replace it.... I have bought other things on a as needed bassis. I've added both 2 and 3 jaw pullers a stering wheel puller. Pry bars a angle grinder for each type of wheel/disc, I hate changing wheels around... I also have plenty of drill bits and hardware, I hate having to run to the store every time I need a bolt nut washer etc... Teach yourself or take a class learn how to weld and use torches both come in handy. If money is no object air lifts are nice too they run around 8-1000$ search the web for motorcycle lifts you will need 8" extensions for cubs. I also added a chain fall for picking engines trainsmisions etc. I value my back!

I hope all of this helps and will get you started On the road to quickly and safly working on cubs!

dgrapes59
First and Last Name: David Grapes

Post by dgrapes59 »

Well, you apparently have one of the best things going for you, a big workshop!

The work I have done on Cub Cadets so far haven't required any real specific tools, but the more in depth you go, the more you may need. I had a pretty extensive tool box to begin with, but it is always fun to add to it! Buy the best quality you can afford, it will pay for itself in the long run and nothing like having a tool fail when you need it most. Tool boxes are like shops, never big enough, so if you don't have a nice rolling box to put them in, think big, down the road! ;)

Some commonly used things that come to mind in addition to what has already been noted:
I love reversing ratchet wrenches, roll pin punch set, tire spoons (2 or 3), a cheap portable tire changer (TSC or Harbor Freight), parts washer, jack stands, electrical testers (meter and light), torque wrench, screw holding screwdriver (pesky lower points cover screw) and a telescoping magnetic pick up tool.

I am sure the list can go on and on, but these are some that would be nice to have in the shop.

Good luck,

David

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

That reminds me soldering iron and all the stuff to use it! wire terminal ends shrink wrap heat gun for ends (also good for decal removal) a creeper is nice but i wouldn't use that much on the cubs only for the cub hauler! I have a press too good for doing clutches although i don't use it that often!

LFR

Post by LFR »

thanks to you guys who commented I plan on making a trip to tractor supply to get a huge air compressor. like a ingersaul rand. I will write what I get on a sticky note what I need and anyone can chime in. I just bought a weller soldering kit and a little propane torch. I plan on getting a little Hobart welder at tsc to learn on welding. thanks guys :beer: :D

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

The upright 60 gallon Ingersol- Rand at TSC is a real nice choice, it can come with three horse power motor or for more capacity choose the five.
I think the five has the same dual stage compressor but it is sped up a bit by the pulleys and has added cooling.
They do require a 30 amp 220 volt power source.
The price on them has dropped by hundreds over the last couple years ;)
Their Hobart lineup is a nice selection too with several models to choose from.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Pay no attention to that silly yellow thing hanging in front of it :lol:
DSCN2565.JPG
DSCN2565.JPG (128.49 KiB) Viewed 9826 times

LFR

Post by LFR »

I think I will get a 60 gallon with 5 hp but you need a 220 outlet :roll: I don't think I have one but Can I get one and make it work. Or do they have a big compressor with only 110 standard outlet

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

if your planing on sandblasting look at the specs you will need to be able to MAINTAIN 90-100 psi. if you can maintain then you will work for 2 minutes and wait for 5 no fun! you will need 220 for sure the 80 gallon capacity will help but you need to have the pump and motor to get the cfm you need to blast…. don't forget blasting is like having a hole in the side of the tank!

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

LFR wrote:I think I will get a 60 gallon with 5 hp but you need a 220 outlet :roll: I don't think I have one but Can I get one and make it work. Or do they have a big compressor with only 110 standard outlet
If you have decent electric service out to the new building, 220VAC single phase will not be a problem. I highly suggest getting a 220VAC air compressor and if you're going to get a welder, a 220VAC welder also. ( 220VAC means 220 volts, alternating current ) 220V is more efficent ( cheaper ) to run than a heavy duty 120V unit.
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

LFR

Post by LFR »

Ok I heard that I need BIG GAUGE WIRE like how big and are there any other tools no one has mentioned or do I need to go purchase some stuff and see what I have

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Better get a BFH, and then get an even bigger BFH....

And I applaud you for being 14 and so ambitious!
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

LFR

Post by LFR »

Ok I will and thanks so much I am just trying

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

While electrical codes vary by state and municipality generally speaking the minimum wire gauge requirements do go something like this-
15 Amp service- minimum 14 gauge wire
20 Amp service- Minimum 12 gauge wire
30 Amp service- Minimum 10 gauge wire
Years back for a 220v service, 2 wires + common was used
However this is no longer considered safely acceptable and 2 wire + common + ground are used.
A good example of this is a typical older electric dryer cord, if it's a 3 prong plug being used that is considered by today's standards obsolete
I am not a licensed electrician by any means- if in doubt consult one.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Don't forget your hammer ! ;)
34837052_d79385a4b3.jpg
34837052_d79385a4b3.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 9761 times
This one's before your time but I can't resist :lol:

LFR

Post by LFR »

Ok that is really helpful thanks

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

I you don't already have one, a quality bench vice would be your most used tool. A good vice can be a little expensive depending on what size you think you would need. If your new shop is going to be larger, I always preferred to have a mobile tool cart handy, along with an outstanding list of personal protection equipment, and a fire extinguisher.

Well, good luck!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Ken... True electrical codes can vary some but for the most part code is covered by the NEC or the NATIONAL electric code.
states can choose what year NEC they will adopt and sometimes have some of their own rules.

You must also keep in mind distance... for every 100 feet or cable run u must upgrade the size cable one size to maintain correct voltage at the specified amperage. So a 30 amp service 120 feet from the panel box will need #8 gauge cable not #10.

Some electrical components dont mind a voltage drop... but motors like on a compressor will seriously dislike a low voltage condition and will burn out a motor quick.

Some 240 things still only require 2 wire plus ground.... if the item has no 120 in it, the common is not required... this is the case in a compressor... it has no 120 therfore no common is required. Most Dryers and Stoves now have 120... with all the computers lights etc. so the code has now mandated 3 wire plus ground for this items.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

LFR

Post by LFR »

I got 2 vices any others tools I need. I agree I am going to get a rolling cart with some tools

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

A die grinder is pretty handy as well as a 4" electric grinder. An inexpensive torque wrench is a good idea too.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

LFR

Post by LFR »

Ok i will do that thanks, LFR

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

If I was very limited on budget and options, my shop would have AT LEAST...

A welder... a stick welder that does AC and DC, and a MIG welder with 0.035" gasless wire.

IF you're truely on a budget, then consider getting a well-used industrial 3-phase welder and converting it to single-phase... it'll put you into an industrial machine, on less than 1/10th of the cost of a mediocre light-commercial machine. If you do a search of my name and single phase, you'll find a hundred different threads on the subject.

I would also have a 4" electric angle grinder with cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, and wire wheels.

I would have a floor crane (a 'cherry picker'). IF you happen to have a tractor with 3-point hitch, weld mounting pins to your cherry picker, so that you can use it either in conventional mode (rolling on the ground) or while bracketed to the tractor. The latter is a formidable way to move heavy objects over soft ground... i.e.... between workshops, and even better yet, pick up garden tractors and transaxles, and put them on workbenches for easier access.

I would have a parts washer... even if nothing more than a half of a 35-gallon barrel with a tray in it... for dunking and scrubbing parts.

A metal lathe that can swing at least 12". Reason being, that the most-difficult-repairs you'd ever do, are ones that require either a part replacement or repair, or a special tool (alignment tool, a bearing puller or driver, etc), which you would otherwise have no choice but to spend large quantities of money, and a fair amount of lost time, to repair.

The OTHER advantage, is that having a lathe allows you to bring home OTHER tools that are damaged in such a way that many people THROW OUT, and you can use your lathe, grinder, and welder to repair and return to service, thus, building your shop on a much lower budget.

Other important tools: A 1/2-ton pickup truck, and a tandem-axle car hauler with a 2500lb boat-winch with a nice, long cable attached... to drag treasures up onto the trailer.

Of course, a driver's liscense helps... it'll probably take you a couple of years to find one'a those, but that time will come. ;)

Here's a Johannsen radial drill... I found the basic chassis for $400 in Green Bay, dragged it home on my 16' car hauler, and found a Bridgeport type J milling head, and made an adapter out of scrap metal, then made the J-head system run with a variable frequency drive and a Gates Polychain 3:1 reduction drive. For being such a small drill (it's only about 3000lbs) it sure can drill a hole, and I've got less than $700 in the whole machine. I did a writeup on it way back when... it's at http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/br ... ad-152934/
Attachments
Radial drill 3-20-08.jpg
Radial drill 3-20-08.jpg (89.62 KiB) Viewed 9650 times
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Holy Crap a Dave Kamp Sighting! :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

LFR

Post by LFR »

Thanks very much for the list I will try to get as much as I can