Stolen Jeep

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Stolen Jeep

Post by ReicheP »

My wife and I went to California to enjoy the earth quake a few weeks ago. We arrived back a week ago Tuesday and find the parking lot wasn't able to find my wife's jeep. "We have no idea where your Jeep is." We parked in a Valet Parking lot and have used them before.

Yesterday morning received a call from the Newark NJ Police, the Jeep was found and was in an impound yard down by the Passaic River. Friend drove me down to the Newark Police Station to to get a release. Spent about an hour in line listening to this guy telling them his car was stolen before his car was used for a hit and run. So after an hour we were on our way to the impound yard, we arrive at 1:05 to find they were closed for lunch from 1 to 2 PM. So we go find a Subway for lunch located in one of the scariest truck stops in the area. Trust me a truck stop along the river in Newark NJ not a nice place. Back at 2PM I pay $291 for towing, city fees and 1 day storage. All paid up I enjoy a ride in a mini van that hasn't had working shocks in about 15 years.

Down to the end of the yard there is my wife's Jeep. I look and amazed it's all there, no major body damage and it still has 4 wheels and tires. Ignition key and tumbler pulled from the column so we try a screw drive to start. After a jump it briefly fires and dies, no gas and found no Cat convertor. So we call AAA and wait another hour for the pick up and ride home. Nice young driver and a fairly new Ford flat bed with check engine light flashing and front end vibrating. He was a Paramedic who was working about 100 hours a week to support his ex and kids. I find he has allergies and takes Clariton D which makes him drowsey, that could explain why the truck kept floating to the left.

Safely home we are backing down the driveway and find my wife just got home, surprised she was very happy her Jeep was back. Put some gas in, jump it and it fires right up. Motor sounds decent and the trans still works. They trashed the interior, who ever drove it for two weeks chewed and decided the rug on the floor was a great place to spit. They pulled the radio/CD player out, the adapter plate and wire harness.

Checking things out I find a bank statement with address, a rent deposit slip with two names and address and a photo of his girlfriend. So this guy needed a Jeep to help his girlfriend move. Not the smartest guy on the block for leaving his address in the car, but I will give him credit for a clean removal of the cat and he even unplugged the O2 sensor instead of cutting the wires. He didn't destroy the dash when they yanked the radio.

Adjuster here today and expect money for the repairs next week. I already have appointment down at my local tire store for a new Cat. Oh BTW the tires and wheels they left on the car were new and worth about $1000, under the hood a brand new battery. Amazing he gets a used Cat worth about $50 for scrap and a horrible Sony radio and skips the real value of the car.

I will say losing a car this way wasn't great, but hey it's just a car and yesterday was one of those life experiences you just shake your head. We watched numerous folks picking up their cars, seems like in NJ if stopped and you can't provide proof of insurance the car gets towed away and impounded.

Oh one last thing, checking this guy out I look on face book and while I don't find him I see all folks with the same last name are from the same country in Africa. Ok so what? Well the valet parking lot I have used for years, all of their drivers and yard rats are from your guessed it, that same country in Africa.

It's out on the driveway, gonna get a new cat next week and detailed. All is well in the world.
Last edited by ReicheP on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Stolen Jeep

Post by Tom Scott »

Paul - Sorry for your trouble, but you certainly have a good attitude about the lemons you were handed. I liked the "wry" "tongue in cheek" telling of the story.

Give the evidence to the police. They might actually be able to find the bad guy. He might get sloppy again and they might (just might) get him.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Paul , please tell me that your insurance company is going after the parking lot company to recoup the repair and towing costs .
Your insurance company shouldn't have to foot the bill and the parking lot should have insurance for any damages that may happen while in charge of your vehicle .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Paul ole buddy... you have a lot better attitude than I would about this. I guess it's the best way. As was suggested I would definitely give the evidence to the police and hope maybe they actually do something about it. If someone stole my car I'm not so sure I would want it back cause every time I looked at it, I'd be irritated.

This world we live in I wonder about it some days. The whole "to Hell in a hand basket" phrase comes to mind. :evil:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.