Old Engine ID

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
ghennessy
First and Last Name: G Hennessy

Old Engine ID

Post by ghennessy »

Anyone know what this engine is? A buddy found it in a barn on the property he just purchased.

Thanks and cheers-
Attachments
Carl 1.jpg
Carl 1.jpg (188.06 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Carl 2.jpg
Carl 2.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Old Engine ID

Post by Jlaws »

Looks like a old Briggs . Its very similar to the engine in my 990 MTD .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Yea that is a Briggs I have worked on a carb exactly like that before you have to pull the jet to drop the bowl what a pain. Came from a shaw do all tractor. It looks like that motor is a model 27. Those Old Briggs are awesome. I can also tell it is a model 27 because of the points cover. Probably a 7 horse or something like that. My Briggs 7 horse gold edition has a carb similar to that. Neat engine
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Check the aluminum identification tag on the baffle side plate with an eye loupe.
I'm pretty sure it is a model 23 and as far as I knew there was no model 27- I think that Lorin might have misread the tag on his.
That series of engine came in 9, 14, and 23. and the designation stood for the number of cubic inches.
If I recall correctly the model 23 was 6 1/3 horse power.
They were manufactured from around 1948 to 1956 or thereabouts.
I used to have a 1950 Simplicity walk behind with the model 9 engine and when looking for a magneto quite a bit of research was involved, again if I recall correctly they all used the same magneto windings.

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Whoops yea I forget. I haven't worked on one in a few years but I did know it was a model 2 something :roll:
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Here's a must have whenever working on the older B&S engines
DSCN4493.JPG
DSCN4493.JPG (170.31 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Back when I rebuilt the model 9 it was still possible to get most parts from a good dealer. I was able to get the correct muffler, piston rings, and gasket set. It needed an exhaust valve guide also but I made one of those.
Also, they were still able the magneto however it was very expensive :shock:
Those engines were very solidly constructed, built for industrial applications and I recall how thick that block casting really was and also the entire casting was satin smooth with no flash or misalignment. The machine work on it was a thing of perfection too, I wish I had it today but when I moved back in 96 a lotta stuff had to go