'71 Chevrolet Cheyenne.

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
A.W.Gonya
First and Last Name: Aaron W. Gonya

'71 Chevrolet Cheyenne.

Post by A.W.Gonya »

Evening all, thought I'd let everyone know what we have been up to lately.

Some of you know that I'm also into old Chevy's A few years ago I let my 1968 C/10 CST move on to a new home. After a year or so I got the itch again to have another old truck, I found a 1971 Chevrolet Cheyenne by accident on Craigslist. The current owner was in the process of parting it out, If I hadn't stepped in, Old Blue was headed to the crusher.

In November 2012, right after plow day.

The owner kept the 4-bolt main 350, and the exhaust manifolds, flywheel, most of the brackets...etc, but I was able to get the TH350 and the intake manifold that came with the truck.

Summer '13 found this 350 on craigslist, numbers make it a 69-7? something "010" block, correct enough for the truck.

Everything that was easy and common about these truck twenty years ago is now scarce as heck... it took months of digging, trading and e-baying to find all the correct stuff. But every last part is now correct to the truck.

One step closer, just found the proper air cleaner last week, and another set of exhaust manifolds.

So that's where we are at today, hopefully she will be running soon.
Can you buy WD40 by the tank car?

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: '71 Chevrolet Cheyenne.

Post by BigMike »

Sleeve hitch or Cat zero 3 point AW? :lol:
It's looking good!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Mike , when I seen Aarons post yesterday , I was thinking the same thing , sleeve hitch or Cat 0 .... :lol: ..Now that's scary .

Aaron , nice find on the old Chevy , but I think you need a bigger trailer .... :lol:
What did you tow it home with ?
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

A.W.Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

Well none of you would be a bit surprised if I told you I towed the '71 home very slowly with the Jeep.

I didn't though, I used Pop's '93 GMC 4X4 8-)
Trailer was borrowed, and did the job, but just.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Aaron , your correct , I was picturing in my mind you towing that home behind the Jeep with no trailer brakes.... :lol:
I'm sure the Jeep wouldn't have much trouble getting that load started , stopping it might have been a problem tho . :o
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

One thing I noticed missing from the travel pics are the tie downs for the doors, mirrors, lug nuts :lol:
Just kidding AW.
For those that don't get the inside joke AW has a fetish for strapping anything that could possibly move......kind of a belt and suspenders kind of thing.

A.W.Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

Jess,
Still didn't have trailer brakes! But the GMC handled it fine.

Mike,

I kept the top speed to about 35- 40mph!

pvolner
First and Last Name: Phillip Volner

Post by pvolner »

I love these old trucks. My first vehicle was a 1971 C-10 with a 307 V8 and 3speed on the column.
I also restored a 1968 C-10
I ended up selling both of them. I always wanted a cheyenne loaded with everything.