335 CCA batteries at Advance Auto Parts

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

335 CCA batteries at Advance Auto Parts

Post by Ben Morong »

I can't find the thread where guys were recently talking about batteries, but last week I needed a new battery. I avoid Walmart, so I called Pep Boys but they didn't know whether they had garden tractor batteries or not (!) so I went to my local V.I.P. Auto Parts (typical auto parts store) and got a 235 CCA battery for $39.95. This afternoon I needed another (too many Cub Cadets or not enough batteries) and went back to V.I.P. but they weren't open (closed at 4:00 p.m. Sunday) so I went to Advance Auto Parts and they had a 335 CCA for $35.99. I hope the battery's good -- the price was.
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: 335 CCA batteries at Advance Auto Parts

Post by Klapatta »

Ben,
That whole thread got poofed during the great pumpkin crash of 2010 :lol:
I was looking into a way to install the largest possible battery that I could squeeze into the box on my 126.
I want to do this for several reasons, the tractor has additional lights, the New England Winters are brutally cold, I'm tired of having to replace batteries every year or so, and I'm also interested in being able to jump start a car that needs one.
There's quite I've learned about this since that post and I'll try not to draw it out forever. I started looking into high end motorcycle and ATV batteries, only one or two went past the 350CCA point.
While I'm able to run a group 70 car battery in my 100 I'm positive that's impossible for the 126 and there are three reasons why after looking into that better.
The very maximum permissible dimensions for such a battery are 8.0 long x 6.0 wide x 8.5 high.
DSCN0257.JPG
I have looked hard and there is no commercially made group auto type auto battery falling within those size limitations. The 126 has a hood brace that is moved much closer toward the steering wheel than the 100- I have no intention of cutting it. Even if I did there are other restrictions such as the larger gas tank which I'm not planning on changing either. And then there's the matter of those pesky welded on studs welded to the the inside of the box for the hood latches. Those gobble up the 3/16 of an inch that are needed to stuff a group 70 in even if I made the other alterations. The boxes on both machines measure 8 3/16 inch on the inside dimension and a group 70 measures 8 1/16.
Mention had been made of the ample storage tray under the seat however that area is strictly NO VACANCY since I've got about 130 pounds of lead and steel loaded there- just like welfare tenants I can't get rid of em!
DSCN0260.JPG
The battery you mention is probably a very good second choice. I'm going to go with the offering at Tractor Supply, it's a Briggs & Stratton branded 350CCA garden tractor battery and it's 46 bucks.
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
Betting this ones craps out in two years too-
William made a good point about using a trickle charger and I intend to follow thru with that- my plan is to hard wire it into the machine but first I need to get one to figure out how I'm going to do that :?:
My thanks to everyone that stepped forward to lend a hand :) I will post it when it's done!

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

BTW Walmart, Advance, Carquest all made in the north east by Deka Battery near Kutztown Pa. Since the buyer can spec what's in the battery, the actual CCA rating etc, it's tough to compare Walmart to Carquest etc. even though they are made by the same company.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

How did my cart get in there??
I bought a Diehard gold for my 125.So far it has lasted 2 years....

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I'm not going to bash anyone so just my .02 since I've had quite a few batteries. I've had several batteries from Advanced Auto last 6-8 months max. I've never got more than that out of one, so I personally don't buy any from there anymore. The Walmart ones at least last me 12-14 months typically. Pep-Boys has a l&g battery made by Energizer. I've had 2 and each lasted about 3 years. They've gone up in price, but hold out well for me and I've had nothing but good luck with Pep-Boys batteries. I'd use only actual Deka labeled batteries if I could find them around here anymore. In my experience, nothing beats them though they are pricey.

As for bigger batteries, I have the cheapest car battery Walmart makes ($50 one) in several things here. I just replaced my first one and it was 5 years old and abused badly in the Farmall M. The one in my Cub Lo-Boy (12volt) is 6 years old and still strong. I know others last longer, but that's enough life for me to justify using the cheapies.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im thinking that I used to put 330+ in all the twins at work. Frank carried only DEKA battiries Head qurarterd in Pa. I thin Lyon Station?
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Tmo
First and Last Name: Terry Reed

Post by Tmo »

I think I have either a 26 or a 26R car battery in my 104. That size will fit in most narrow frames.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Deka also makes NAPA batteries and have for 5 years or so. Charging the batteries with a 1 amp or so trickle charger at least once a month makes a BIG difference in the life. I have a couple of the cheapy Harbor Freight chargers and I just keep them working all the time and rotate them once a week or so. I have been getting 7 or 8 years out of my L&G batteries.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

We use are tractors 3 times a week, even just for a ride out back. So thats about 30 min round trip. I have 2 Auto Zone batts that are over 2 yrs old, YES Im on borrowed time, I know that. My 106 wors and dose everything around here, Im guessing thats why the batt is still good as it gets charged a lot.

But what do I know.
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Terry,
I had been under the mistaken impression that only the 70,100 series would accept the group 26 or 70 battery.
After looking at the 102 this afternoon I can see now that it will accept one of those just as well as the 100 does.
DSCN0253.JPG
Thanks for bringing that up :idea:
I would assume then that the 104 has no nuts welded to the inside of the battery box for hood latches causing a clearance issue as well?

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

I hafta put one in for Wally World.
Whenever I need a battery, it's inconvenient of course and WW is close (always seems to be, hmmmm.....)
Anyhow, I buy the 375 battery and have had good luck with them getting years out of each. The cheapo batteries (lower amps) have a hard time brand new with the starter generator on our cubs, add a bad ground to that and it gets worse.
I'm actually quite surprised I can walk down to the shed and start IT anytime of the year and I'm sure I never really run him enough to keep a good charge.
One of the killers of batteries is vibration. The battery boxes (in my experience) under the seat are usually the worst. The hold down gets lost somewhere in the life of the tractor and the battery might get held down with a rubber strap, half the time they just bonce and rattle around under there.
Battery maintenance is the key to a longer life.

Also, I think you will find half the batteries you buy are made by the same company. I worked for Johnson Controls for a long time and their battery division was one of the largest manufacturers in the world. They finally started putting their name and logo on the Optima battery.
At one time if you bought a (car, Motorcycle or L&G battery) Die hard, Energizer, EverStart, AC Delco, Interstate, Duralast, Kirkland or Motocraft, they are made by Johnson.
The three biggies are JCI (Johnson Controls), East Penn, Exide and some of the batteries are made by more than one manufacturer.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

ih61guy
First and Last Name: Rodney Smith

Post by ih61guy »

I've had good luck using Interstate batteries. Lasting around 4-5 years. I bought anew one this summer, a 300cca-375ca for 38.95. I think they have more CCA'S for more money. ih61guy

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

To help things along with Wintertime start up woes today I installed a battery charger inside the dash support tower. This one is a Schumacher 1 1/2 amp. While it's meant for an under hood install application it is not totally waterproof so I went about trying to find a place that would offer the most weather protection.
DSCN0290.JPG
The only area really large enough to fit it into was directly under the starter solenoid, even that became quite tight. This charger has auto shutoff so it's just a matter of plugging it in to keep the battery fully charged all the time. The power cord loops out at the lift handle and was the perfect length.

I wanted to buy one of those 350CCA Briggs and Stratton and give that a try but Tractor Supply must of had a run on those and they were sold out.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

I have a 425 from auto zone in my 482, I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY TODAY. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I'm going to give this Briggs and Stratton one a try in the 126 along with the backup charger
DSCN0310.JPG
Let's see what happens in a month or so

A.W.Gonya
First and Last Name: Aaron W. Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

Being a former Advance employee, I can attest to one thing. Their Batteries are complete junk, returns are rampant and 90% of the returns just get tossed back on the rack.

Walk the other way.
Can you buy WD40 by the tank car?

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Went to start my 682 yesterday and the piece of junk Briggs battery I bought at TSC was dead! Pulled it out and the date code was June 2005, well I guess that battery really doesn't owe me anything. Went to the new TSC in Mt Pocono, Pa last evening and bought another.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

I've had good luck with Trac Batteries.
Cranking amps are 390
Cold Cranking amps are 310
Last Trac battery in my 149 was new in May of 2004.
Price tag on old battery was $37.95
New battery tag was $41.95.

genep
First and Last Name: Gene Preston

Post by genep »

I have the same problem - more Cub Cadets than batteries. I stay away from Wal-Mart batteries. Their Ever-Start brand don't last. I've had good luck at Tractor Supply and just got a 300CCA for $36.99 and a $15 gift card rebate. I never thought to check at Advance Auto where my BIL works and gets an employee cost. 335CCA beats me. Next time I'll check them out.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Update- I am really liking the Briggs & Stratton battery, the 126 has never been my best cold weather starting machine for whatever reason(s). It is fitted with the factory engine and is standard bore too so it's probably getting tired by now.
In any case it sat for well over two weeks without the trickle charger plugged in and today I gave the key a turn in the 26 degree temperature.
While there was quite a lot of cranking before it finally touched off there was never the hint of that battery pulling itself down. I probably could have had the lights on and it would not have even known.
That's a home run in my ballpark, for the fifteen bucks more I'm stayin with that one.
Just thought I'd pass that through the link ;)