Son of a ***** b*****

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Son of a ***** b*****

Post by LFR »

Haha I got you! :beer: :lol: So I got the chance to look at a 1950 john Deere b with new rear tires. The only problem is that it needs a set of rings. I put a down payment on it so he can hold it for me. I am looking for any info regarding past experiences with a poppin Johnny letter series. His asking price is 1300$ for it is it worth it because i know the tires are worth 1000$ alone but I want a b so can anyone tell me there opinion whether pops had one back in the day or whether you have a letter series in the barn.
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

F Currier Northern Maine
First and Last Name: Frank A. Currier

Re: Son of a ***** b*****

Post by F Currier Northern Maine »

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I redid a model A years ago. They're very simple tractors with fewer parts than most due to the two-cylinder horizontal motor which can be a plus. The B is the same size as a farmall H. Personally I hated the A hence selling it and getting a Farmall M. Weak points if I remember right was steering column wears and makes it hard to steer and the only way to fix is to take it apart and have machined (if I remember right). The motors by design are far more prone to seize up when sitting. Also parts are very high. I remember mine having a carburetor rusted some on the inside and a new one was $750 10+ years ago. Maybe aftermarket has remedied this some by now. The tractor was completely unorthodox to use with the hand clutch and the way it drove and almost impossible to farm with... and I still use a farmall H as the choice tractor for farming here so I don't dislike using old tractors in general. I really liked the look when I got it repainted and lived driving it but for some reason putting it to work just didn't jive with me. This was a john Deere A though so don't know how much that correlates and remember this is the opinion from an IH collector and user even though I enjoy other brands as well.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Yeah thanks for the comment you know I have a 44' h myself and I use it for farming. But farming 80 acres is enough for that so I figured a b would help with the project. I've always had a hinkering a popper and I'm biting it guys. I traded that Ollie 77 that I have in so I got some money now and am gonna buy the b.
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.