Ford, Jacobsen, Oliver and MM garden tractors

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Ford, Jacobsen, Oliver and MM garden tractors

Post by Farmallgray »

Is anyone here into these Jacobsen made machines? My family's dealership sold Jacobsens when I was a kid. They are good machines. Not quite the same as Cub Cadets but they do have some cool features. The high/low range and foot controls on the hydros are nice. I have a line on a Ford LGT145 that may make the basis of a cool future project. Might be looking for some parts in the future.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Ford, Jacobsen, Oliver and MM garden tractors

Post by dag1450 »

I love my two Jacobsen snow blowers. One imperial 26 inch and one little paddle snow burst I think they r called. I then got my father a big imperial 26 with electric start. All were made in the 70's and still work great. Although i just ordered a drive disc for one of the big guys. I think mice may have got to this for lunch. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Todd, I know a little bit about the 1977-83 second series. This series had white fenders, and side panels for the engine. They were basically a Ford Quietline for lack of a better term.

I have a Ford grille, and one that is from a Jacobsen, and lots of side panels...probably 5 or 6 of each. I have a lift bar that goes from the rockshaft back to the sleeve hitch, and I have some PTO parts. I have had several of them over the last 10 years. If you need any engine parts, the block is the same as a Quietline. I still have a complete LGT145, but I actually owe it to a friend to complete a trade that we have been working (for the last few years).

The rear ends are almost indestructible as far as axle and differential. They have an Eaton hydro which is equally as strong. They steer very well. They are as heavy (probably heavier built than Cub Cadet) Parts availability is the worst part of them. The plastic dash and tunnel cover break very easily and are impossible to find in mint condition.

All of this goes out the window if you are talking about the older series, as I have never had one of those. One interesting thing about that model, the oil pan is welded into the frame, and the block bolts onto the pan. I have never understood the logic behind this.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

The one I'm looking at is an open side model from the early 70s. I used to mow with a Jake 1450 and I remember the dash being cracked. I always figured it was because the steering column didn't have enough support at the top. I'm pretty sure they use the same basic steering gear as the Cub Cadets.

If I get this tractor I'd like to find a Jake hood and grill for it. I'll probably build a Cat 0 hitch for it for plowing.

My custom idea is to make it a "what if" Minneapolis Moline as if they were still making them as MMs when that series came out instead of the Olivers.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I got the tractor yesterday. Its not in bad shape and it actually has a Jacobsen grill. Has a recently new short block in it.

I'd like to find the parts to convert the hydro filter from inline to spin on.

The left spindle is tweaked but I can probably fix it.

I need a few other small items too. If anyone knows of anyone who parts these tractors or who specializes in them please let me know.