New to me 30 ton press. Any opinions on hydraulics?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

New to me 30 ton press. Any opinions on hydraulics?

Post by VScott »

Found this old press.. any ideas on hydraulics?
Postby VScott » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Picked this up this past weekend. It will need some paint, but it doesn't appear to be tweaked or bent. I got it from a local scrapyard. It's hard for me to believe that someone would scrap it for .08 to .10 a pound. It is a Carolina 30 ton press made in USA. It came with a 12 ton bottle jack that I intend to replace. There were no bridge plates, but I negotiated for a piece of 1" thick 12" square plate thinking that I would have it cut 3 times to give me 4 plates. I talked to a friend that owns a local welding shop, and he said that he couldn't cut it into 12" strips, but that he had an 8' section of 1"x 4" steel that he could cut me 4 plates out of.

I remember in the late 1980s / early 90's you would see older guys driving around selling all of this nice American made shop equipment out of the back of pickup trucks with out of state plates. I'm pretty sure that this is one of those. I have been wanting one for a while, and saw a good opportunity here.

As I said, it has a 12 ton bottle jack with it, but I have not even tried it out yet, it might be junk. I was looking at 30 ton hydraulic jacks, and I can get one from Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot etc for around $70.00 Harbor Freight has a 20 ton air/hydraulic jack on sale right now for $119. Has anyone used the air/hydraulic jacks, and what are your thoughts on them. Also, I wonder how much usefulness I would lose by going with a 20 ton jack over a 30 ton. (10 tons worth, I know :lol: ).

I actually forked over $100 for it, but I cashed in some battery cores, picked up a broken chain saw that I sold , and picked up a vise that I sold on the same trip, so as of right now I am into this for $18.00. Sometimes it's nice living in a throw-away society!
Attachments
20150207_153506.jpg
20150207_153506.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 4218 times

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: New to me 30 ton press. Any opinions on hydraulics?

Post by SWilliams »

Nice score.
I have the 20 ton air/hydraulic jack. Seems to work just fine. It is handy for those times you need 2 hands to hold the parts. It also is handy when you want to run the ram down quick. Normally I'll use it to run the press down and then use the handle to apply slower feed. You will want to buy the jack and grab some oil as well, everyone I've read or talked to has had the same issue, they don't fill them all the way.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Trash Picker ! Oh wait........u bought that thing :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

I was reading the same thing on the oil level. Must be a common problem. I'm glad to hear it works well. I think that is the way that I am leaning. Wish they had a 30 ton for close to that price, but they don't even seem to make a 30 ton. I know looking online and on ebay, they seem to have the best price by far.

"trash picker" is so harsh..I prefer re-homer of high quality pre-owned goods. :roll:

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

When I bought mine it would go about 1/2 way and stop. I pulled it apart a bit, flushed it out and put some synthetic oil I use in my other jacks in it. I did buy a foot control though.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Vinny, you wondered why the scrapped it?.....look at how rusty and icky it is.
You qualify for a ......YOU SUCK!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Mike
Vinny, you wondered why the scrapped it?.....look at how rusty and icky it is
I don't know about Vinny , but around here rusty and icky would blend in nicely with most of my cubs . :lol:

That's one piece of equipment I need , and have been thinking really hard about purchasing every time I look at my Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and Equipment catalogs ....

Ohh..and Vinny , Nice find . :thumbsup:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I would go for the air over hydraulics. Makes life much easier.

We just had an "incident" at work. "Bob" was using the press to straighten a weldment and didn't have it pressing straight down. He got "zapped" in the head and then it hit his hand. He got lucky and wasn't hurt too bad but did get stitches and staples

If you're squeamish, don't click the links.

Hand ( not too bad )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/J ... g~original

Head
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/J ... g~original

Remember folks, machinery has no conscience, soul or feelings. If flesh gets in the way, it may be damaged or you may be seriously hurt.
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Vinny - Really nice find! I have a 20 ton Chinese model, have had it for over 20 years now. 20 ton has done everything I have ever needed.

The worst part of mine is that the jack doesn't retract without help; the Chinese springs aren't strong enough to compress the jack.

I would definitely go for the air over hydraulics. Had one in a shop where I worked and it really is very convenient. Make sure you have a deadman control, preferably a foot pedal. You can do a lot of damage otherwise.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><