Plowing with a 125

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
dgebhart
First and Last Name: Doug Gebhart

Plowing with a 125

Post by dgebhart »

I am planning on going over to a buddy's house this weekend and trying out the Brinly moldboard I got a few weeks ago. This will be the first time I ever did this and I have a question. Do I lock the lift handle in the down position or do I let it "float" while plowing? Should I adjust the lift handle stop so he plow will go down as far as possible?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try to have some pictures to post next week.

Thanks for all of the help.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Plowing with a 125

Post by BigMike »

Doug,I usually lower the 3 point as far as it will go and let it lock into one of the gates.

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I let mine float because if you go in hard soil or rock it would lift a little. Plus once the point digs in it will go to the deepest setting.
Just my $.02

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

It will also depend on whether or not you have the slotted lift straps on your Brinly hitch. If you have the slotted ones they will allow the plow to float so you can let the lift handle locked in a notch. If you have the straps with holes, leave the lift handle float. As long as the soil isn't too hard, the plow will pull into its proper depth once you have it set up where you want it.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

I use a 124 to plow and I always lock my lift handle 1 notch up from the bottom. This keeps my Brinly adapter at an angle that it won't collect a lot ofdebris in the field. It all depends on your set up and how things are working. I know this works best for mine, but others either let them float or go all the way down, etc. You'll have to see how your tractor and set up is working and try different things.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The plow should float and the plow should do this at 1/2 the dimension of the plow. If you have it set with too much point the plow will travel down till it starts to lift your front end and it's hard to steer and usually too deep. If the soil is varying from wet to dry or hard to soft it's very hard to get the plow to work at the right depth. Un-plowed ground(sod) is usually a challenge for the 7 & 10 HP garden tractors.

I like my Original with the Original 12" Brinly Plow and single hole Brinly hitch made for the Original as about all you can change is the point and if I have a hard time plowing it's usually too wet or to packed.