Kohler Turbo Encabulator?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Kohler Turbo Encabulator?

Post by Tom Scott »

So, finally made time to dig into my 1872 carb, as the bowl had started overflowing.

Anyway, this Mag18 is a replacement engine, not of Cub spec. I don't know what it is out of, doesn't really matter.

So, when I pulled the carb, I found this, the secret "Kohler Turbo Encabulator" restrictor/atomizing-plate:
atomizing restrictor plate.JPG
atomizing restrictor plate.JPG (596.71 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
It is a thin plate, and you're looking at the downstream, backside. It looks factory, and is just punched from a thin piece of what I guess is stainless.

The teeth reach in about 1/8" on each side, so any atomization benefit will be lost to the rather severe restriction this places in the intake. This isn't going back in, but I'm curious if anyone has seen these on any other Kohler's.

I have seen some aftermarket atomizing plates, but they are generally thicker aluminum blocks. This is just very thin stainless sheet.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Kohler Turbo Encabulator?

Post by dag1450 »

Never saw one of those but looks Fancy! I wonder if it could help w cold starting?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

mrbrown
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Post by mrbrown »

I have seen them in Mag 18's in brands other than cubs. Mike

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

dag1450 wrote:I wonder if it could help w cold starting?
Yes, it would help in the cold in general when you are likely to have more trouble keeping the fuel atomized. This engine also came with the Kohler enclosed air cleaner that is designed to be fed pre-heat for winter operation, so it was all probably part of a cold weather package.

I suspect the engine was out of a J.D., as the crank snout is longer and I remember reading they had some pto's with a large and small pulley together.

This 1872 is primarily used for Haban blade work now, but I still think I'm leaving this atomizer plate out. I'll try to remember to post a pic of the cold weather air cleaner option it has.
I have seen them in Mag 18's in brands other than cubs. Mike
Mike - Do you remember what brand or type of equipment it was in?

I can see it helping if you truly have a fuel pooling problem in cold weather, especially if having some prolonged idling between heavy use, but the restriction is definitely going to kill some horsepower.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Tom...now that the thread has wrapped up....can u PLEASE post a link to the "real" TE. That guy is my hero :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.