Cub hauling trailer

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
CubbinCal
First and Last Name: Calvin Woodrey

Cub hauling trailer

Post by CubbinCal »

Looking to upgrade my small trailer to a 6.5' x 14' with ramp gate this spring. Doing some research on what's out there. There are a ton of manufacturers out there making nice trailers so it comes down to features.

Looking for opinions on powder coat versus paint. Anybody out there have a 3 to 5 year old powder coated trailer? How is it holding up compared to paint?
I'm hittin easy street on AG tires!

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: Cub hauling trailer

Post by stevet »

Cal, I just sold my PJ that I had bought several years ago and it was powder coated. All in all, it was holding up pretty well except for 1 area. Inside the channel frame rails, it seems like the powder coat didn't cover very well and there was definitely some surface rust in there. The rest of it did seem to be doing better than paint as it doesn't chip as easily. That being said, if it does chip, it's basically the same as a painted trailer. I sold both that and my deckover trailer so I could purchase a new deckover trailer. If you get a chance, check out Appalachian Trailers. Their factory is in Ohio, but I'm not sure how far from you they are. After a lot of research, I decided to go with them and am very happy with my new trailer. They were really good about adding any options I wanted and delivery time was around 5 weeks. I've only hauled a couple of Cub Cadets on it so far, but it will mainly be used for hauling my Farmall M. I will say, their base price was about $600-700 cheaper than a comparable PJ, and because of my 10k gvw, they had an 8 inch frame as opposed to the PJ 6 inch frame. Just some food for thought.
trailer 1.jpg
trailer 1.jpg (483.25 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
trailer 2a.jpg
trailer 2a.jpg (388.11 KiB) Viewed 2242 times

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: Cub hauling trailer

Post by Paul B »

Cal,
I do not have a powder coated trailer, but have other stuff that is powder coated, and I don't like it. The powder coated stuff will scratch and chip, specially on something like a trailer (or newer model Cub Cadet and decks) that can get some heavy use. IMO it is easier to touch up a painted surface than one that is powder coated. I don't think paint will stick to a P coated surface to touch it up as well as it will to a painted surface.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........