which way to go???

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

which way to go???

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone, I am at a cross roads. I have a 1650 that needs the trunion repair, engine mounts, steering upgrade. Engine is out. Actually has been for a long time. Also I have an 1811 that was mostly operational until this week. Now the engine is seized and still in the tractor but tins are off as well as the heads. Lots of carbon especially on one of the valve springs on the right hand side.(from the seat)
A couple of questions rattling around...how far to I go on the 1811 before I just pull the engine and swap one out. I think I found one about an hour away for $300 that came out of the last machine "running" . Would have to swap pto, and carb over. Or do I just go ahead and put the 1650 back together?
Thanks for any input.
Eric

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Re: which way to go???

Post by PTWannaHave »

Good question... The kind I would also ask... I'm not experienced enough to give you a great answer, but I would suggest you consider this perspective: Which tractor do you prefer to operate?

Cheers,
PTWannaHave

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Either one at this point!! Good perspective. The 1811 was a give away and in rough shape. Didn't have much hope for it initially but a seal here and a new battery there and various other points of frustration but it was running well enough to pull a cart. It was just a get me by tractor unti the 1650 was repaired.
The 1650 was a hand me down from my father when upsized to a Kabota. I have some attachments for it so it is probably more fun and I have more of a connection to it. But.....I think getting a used engine for the 1811 may be the more time/$ efficient way to go. That route would get me in a seat the quickest.
Going to see what progress, if any I make on the 1811 this week and go from there. Thanks for weighing in.
Eric

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

I have a 1650 that needs the trunion repair, engine mounts, steering upgrade.
Those are easy repairs the 1650 is strong tractor, put it back together.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I am leaning towards moving forward with the 1650. Fewer unknowns. So the next question...Is the engine cradle upgrade necessary or just go with replacing the engine mounts and use the original 2 rails.??

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

eplummer wrote:I am leaning towards moving forward with the 1650. Fewer unknowns. So the next question...Is the engine cradle upgrade necessary or just go with replacing the engine mounts and use the original 2 rails.??
Good idea, imo.
Cradle up grade?,YES! Front and rear and if you need help getting it done let me know.

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

OK Big Mike or anybody willing...Please expand on the cradle upgrade "front and back ?"
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Big Mike...Yes. Will gladly take any help you are willing to give to get the rails back in.
Thanks
Eric

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Jim, for whatever reason tying the ISO rails together front and rear helps stop vibration. The front is a straight piece but the rear is curved to go under the blower housing.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I have decided to move forward with the 1650. I looked through the box of parts and pieces and assessed what I think I need. I did find a new set of points and a new condenser so I must have been planning on replacing those as long as the engine is out. This may be a big DUH question but the ISO mounts are the same for the upper and lower???? I have 4 good ones so hoping I only have to get 4 new ones. Also will do the fan and the steering uprade as long as the engine is out.
Any other experienced input welcome.
Eric

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Yes top and bottom are the same. Use the good ones on the bottom, the moog kit on the top (k-5252 black rubber only!) weld in the crossd shaft and forget about it! That's a nice before breakfast project. You can do the rest before lunch and then the 1811 after a snack and still be on time for kick off!