Rehabbing mower blades

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Rehabbing mower blades

Post by dag1450 »

Ok...so I have this friend....kinda. I was talking to him and he mentioned that the "wings" of his tractor (cheaper Cub) mower blades were really getting worn off. Then he proceeds to ask me if I think welding new wings on would b a good idea? I said :shock: . Then I said :lol:. Now I'm like....he is cheaper than me :roll: Has anyone heard of this procedure. Big Mike probably has..... :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Rehabbing mower blades

Post by Tom Scott »

Reported!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

C'mon man, look at all this blade that could be sharpened if there wasn't a big open place where a wing should be! I should hardface the next new blades...
2135 blade wear.JPG
2135 blade wear.JPG (589.44 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
From the 2000 series (2135) at my parents. Sandblast city there, all sand down in the lowlands near the water! Hardly get to resharpen before the wings are gone!

That is the "3 in 1" factory Cub blade. I have Gators on there right now, and they last a little longer just because there are more wings and fairly heavy. I'll be pulling the Gator's this weekend to sharpen, I'll snap a pic if I think of it.

I know for a fact that dag tried whittling blades out of wood once... cheap punk! Permanent double secret forum probation for dag!
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh wait....I just looked on parts tree and they sell replacement wings for mower blades! Wow....I never saw that before. There is a note ...says u can paste or tape on....
Sorry Tom....it was a good idea :beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

No, it is not really a practical idea, was just my way of complaining that my blades evaporate too quickly. But "hardfacing" the wings of new blades with some 7018? I'll have to drink a few and think on that one!

I remember as a kid my Dad had this Snapper push mower that only the last three inches of blade was replaced. Was held on by like two 5/16" bolts. I'm sure it was fine until someone didn't torque them correctly, then look out, flying knives! :shock:
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Wheel horse had bolt on wings for some
High lift aplcatoons in the 80's

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

The hardfacing on a new blade is sounding much better. :beer:

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Depending on the deck MTD does sell a hardened blade that does cut down on the wear on the wings. I keep a set of blades that I cut the wings off of for use in heavy weeds. They cut like brush blades but don't blow it out very well.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The higher authorities than me that I have talked to have all said that hardfacing is a waste.
It will most likely warp the blades and may even make them so hard they fracture.
I weld up the small blade on my Simplicity to get a second season out of it but after that the large blade wing is lace......I would never bother trying to save it at that point.
I suspect that blades are not made from common "mild" steel and are a more wear resistant material from the get go.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thats interesting Mike. I do see on some occasions guys have there digging buckets beautifully done up with the shinny stuff.
Tom will figure out some way to make this into a project......just like the leaf blower. :lol:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Blades and buckets is worlds apart there Mr Zippy :lol:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

:cry: how am I uposta know u were just talking about blade facing....I thought u were talking in general.
How and why did this thread get started anyway :roll:

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

There will be no blades on my mowers that a welder touched!! I don't want to be near one that has been welded on either!
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

It is not worth the time and effort to band aid-patch a mower blade. My main mower is a Simplicity Landlord. I was going thru a set of mower blades made by Simplicity every 2-3 years. I installed a set of Oregon mower blades
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/produ ... ades/blade.
They are on there 6th season of mowing. The blades have a longer cutting edge, thicker material and hold an edge longer. Best thing is they were the same price as the Simplicity blade.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Merk, is that a 3 blade deck?
I have been told multiple times the only blades available for my Simplicity are factory blades but it is a 2 blade deck.

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

BigMike wrote:Merk, is that a 3 blade deck?
I have been told multiple times the only blades available for my Simplicity are factory blades but it is a 2 blade deck.
The mower deck is a 3 blade 50 inch wide deck.

A.W.Gonya
First and Last Name: Aaron W. Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

The worst thing I have ever seen (As far as mower blades go) was on a quick attach 42" we had.

They broke the center blade in half somehow, then welded it together along with the nut, onto the spindle.

Needless to say all that got replaced as soon as I saw it.

Stens still makes most of the blade we need, and they are not that expensive.
Can you buy WD40 by the tank car?

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

:beer: Wow, I've not had time to jump back in! This has turned out to be a hoot, good discussion.

As Steve pointed out, the extra hard blades from Cub would be a good choice at the sandlot, but they don't make them for the lowly 38" 2000 Series deck. I agree with Merk on the Gator's, but in fairness to the stock "3 in one" Cub blade, I think they lasted about the same amount of time. I think I still prefer the Gator's over the Cub "3 in one" mostly because the Gator's use a straight cutting edge, making them easier to sharpen. They might mulch the monster amount of leaves I get there a little better as well.

I did sharpen the blades at my parents, so here are some pics to report back. First the Gator's from the 2135, with four full years of use. From the top view the outer wing doesn't look too bad, but the side view shows how thin it is and I believe they have bent down from being so thin. I can't really remember how high the outer wings were originally tipped up, but I believe it would have been the same as the other wings.
Gator Blade from 2135.JPG
Gator Blade from 2135.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 8007 times
Side, Gator Blade, 2135.JPG
Side, Gator Blade, 2135.JPG (251.77 KiB) Viewed 8007 times
So, I should get a full fifth year out of these Gator's, and they see a full hour of mowing each time, so not bad really.

Then there is the lesser blade I bought for the push mower just to try. From Amazon, I bought the "Maxpower" blade that is a Gator rip-off. The blade is thinner, and from sharpening I can telly you the metal is noticeably softer. Notice that the wings are tipped the opposite of the Gator's, towards the outside of the deck, likely to avoid a patent infringement. That is fine on the side discharge mower, but I also put the same blade on my mulcher push here. On the mulching deck, the wings must throw all the grass to the outside perimeter which creates a vibration from the cut grass binding the blade against the deck housing. I didn't get ripped off, but I will replace with real Gator's next time. This is the wear after just two years of push mowing just the trim areas I can't get to with the tractor, less than half an hour of mowing each time. Two years has very much worn the outer wing.
Pretend Gator
Pretend Gator
Amazon Maxpower mower blade.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 8007 times
At my house I have clay soil, so no extreme wear issues. The stock 54GT blades (and 50C before that) hold up just fine. The Cub blades all seem as hard as the Gator's when I sharpen.
So, this has been one fun dead horse to beat! :beathorse: Anything else good, pile it on!
<><