Loving the "SIWP" posts!!

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Loving the "SIWP" posts!!

Post by Tom Scott »

Man, really liking the "Say It With Pics" posts. Remember, anything Cub related, so a "cool tool", as long as it is working on a Cub part, that counts!

I so want to leave some "likes" and feedback to the pics, but I have to follow the "no pigging it up with words rule" too!

If you really like a pic and want to discuss, start a new thread and dig in.

Great pics guys, keep it up!!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Loving the "SIWP" posts!!

Post by ksanders »

I'm loving the idea. Something I thought would be neat and build upon the idea is a "how-to" section like this where it's all step by step instructions on fixing issues. Maybe allow one line of text per picture or something. Kind of a write up with pictures only section. Topics like front pto removal, steering wheel removal, trunion repair, motor disassembly, etc. New enthusiasts that are afraid to tear into stuff could benefit greatly from seeing what's involved and what to look for first. I could have used something similar fixing the TA clutch on my Farmall 460 but pictures on any forums are hard to find of that so I had to wing it. I'm sure many feel the same with Cub Cadet teardowns.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Kevin...we have something in place similar to what u r thinking. "Tools and how to". Maybe not as formal as u were thinking but close. Are there procedural post anywhere else...idk?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I enjoy the tools and how to very much and sure others get a lot of good use from it. I've been through cubs enough that most things aren't foreign to me on them but when working on newer vehicles or some newer tractors (after the 1950s) I have issues, such as the torque amplifier, where I have no clue what's in there and if I should tackle a job. Normally when researching I find post after post of long posts, some great and some not so useful, and get totally blitz trying to find answers. I for one would appreciate on jobs seeing what I'm looking for and try to understand what's wrong but can't if I don't know what's inside of a tractor/car/whatever. This is what happened on the torque amplifier. It had some abnormal symptoms unlike most issues when they go out. If I had pictures of how it looked I would have know where to look for issues. After 6 months of contemplating I just ripped a big 460 farmall apart and turned out to have a busted small clutch disc. $75 and 10 hours later and it works awesome with a loader. How many would have given up long before me and never tackled such a job? I wish I did it 6 months sooner. Piece of cake once I saw what was in there.

That's just an example from my personal experience and I figured people seeing a series of pictures of the step by step procedures without posts as long as this could figure jobs out and feel more comfortable tackling issues on our cubs. Just an idea I had when the siwp thread came along. Could be off base or the only one but worth throwing out there :beer:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Kevin - That is an excellent point. I think we've all been there, we want to see a concise example of "how to", and we find a bunch of words back and forth that makes the searching take forever.

If you read the first post in our "How To" section, it is actually supposed to be as Kevin describes, concise, with just captions or as few words per picture as possible, that was the original intent.

I looked at one example that I posted in the "How To", my HF parts washer project. Started out with lots of pics and not too word intensive, but then it devolved into our dag/Big Mike/me slap-boxing fest. Perhaps I should "moderate" threads like that and clean them up? I'm really not sure... The goofing around, dags fake parts washer posts, that was all fun, but does take away from the "how to" value.

I will say this... If someone wants to post a proper pic intensive "how to" and they request minimal commenting, that is easy for me to keep up with. As the original poster, just include "minimal commenting requested" in your post. We could allow the "extra posts" of comments to remain temporarily, then I could delete them to clean up the thread.

Let me know what you guys think. The "How To" section we have was supposed to only be what Kevin described. If we want the threads cleaned up, I can peck away at deleting the funny retorts and comments. Let me know, throw your opinion in...
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><