I have strayed from the herd...temporarily.

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

I have strayed from the herd...temporarily.

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone,
I picked up an Ingersoll 448 on Saturday. It was listed as scrap but it had a seat, which I needed for my 1811 and it had some hoses off the back so I was hopeful that it had some attachments. I figured at a minimum I could sell the tires, engine etc. Pick up condition was a little rough. One headlight hanging out, 1 rear tire half slack and the other was off the bead on one side. It came with the obligatory mouse nest on the top of the engine. Anyway it followed me home and Sunday night I had it running, did an oil change and got the lights working tonight.
ingersoll1
ingersoll1
ingersoll1.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 8903 times
ingersoll2
ingersoll2
ingersoll2.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 8903 times

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: I have strayed from the herd...temporarily.

Post by SWilliams »

Those are a great tractor really. You didn't stray either. Case/IH had their name on them for a time. They are a great base for a loader tractor with the on board hydraulics and hydraulic drive.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Nice....a project like that is fun.... cause there's no pressure and every step forward is like a bonus round. What is on the back?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

If you part that let me know. A friend( yes Dag I really have one :D ) has a 446 and may be able to use some parts.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Yes, as Steve mentioned, hydraulic drive, meaning there is no drive shaft. The pump is up at the engine and the hydro at the rear is just the drive unit (hydraulic motor), unlike with our Cubs that have the pump and hydraulic motor packaged together.

I've been intrigued by them when I see them for sale, but figured I don't need even more NLA parts to chase down!

Like dag says, the projects where you don't have to have the machine in the fleet are nice, no time pressure.

BM, is there any new parts availability left on these?
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Old iron is old iron... I like all colors.
They mounted the Onan Performer reversed of what IH did in the Cub cadets.
Official Member SCCG

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Tom, my friend has not had issues getting parts.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi Again,
So a little more to the story. I intended to take the seat throw it on the 1811 and part the rest but...now that it is running and I have changed the oil and got the lights to work I may just have to keep it. Ironically it is the best running tractor I have at the moment :lol: . I actually had thought about keeping it for a loader base. The rig on the back is what is left of the blower of the vacuum cart system. I was hoping the rest of it would be there but just what you see. I did engage the blower and the blades turned without wobble or whine, it is a little dangerous because the shroud is all rotted. Hope to replace the hydrolic fluid tonight. I have to poke around the coltcaseingersoll.com web site and get some specs on fluid and filters.
Quick question on the oil filter, the old one was a stens and about 4 inches long, the one they crossed at NAPA for me threaded well, and the diameters match but the filterfrom NAPA is shorter and more like the kohler filters.?? So now the eternal question....does size matter???

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I try to use the largest filter that will work and not get damaged. I've mangled a few under the 1863 when using it "in a spirited manner". I figure the larger the filter the more filter media and capacity for crud without it starving the system.

Be careful if you use that rig on hills, it should have the hold valve option but it may not. Because they are true hydraulic drive they can freewheel, unlike the cub cadets.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

If there is no imminent danger of the shorter filter I wont change it yet but will get a longer one soon. I have read enough about the holding valve just to know it may or may not have one. Other fluid changes on hold due to crappy weather and a tight budget. Thanks all for you input.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah...good call on slowing your roll. Unless u have a need for this ride I would not put too much into it right now. U might just consider flipping it and making a few bucks. Big Mike's pockets r pretty deep....and Tom wants to know if parts r available....don't ask me why. I guess he is interested in it as well.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

mix and match question. Has anyone ever tired to put a wide frame snow blade on an ingersoll 448? I have a line on some tire chains and I have a generic set of wheel weights so wondered if I could make this a snow pusher for the season. At this point it is the only tractor in the herd that is ready to work! Not bad for a scrap tractor :lol:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I am sure it could be done but I would be amazed if it was anywhere close to a bolt on.
Can you find the correct blade easily?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Eric... refesh my memory.....at what state is the 1811? Is it alive? Put one or two hrs on that machine....then your blade issue is solved. Just a thought. Fill us in?

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

For sure it is not a bolt and go situation. I did slide the blade and arms under the Ingersoll just to eye ball it. The 1811 and the 1650 are in a dead heat for being operational. Budget restraints are the biggest factor, the below freezing temps are not helping either! On a positive note, I did get all 3 running for a bit last week!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I understand the budget thing....but what else do u need to buy? Yes...I know I'm prying.....but I feel this tractor is like our forum mascot... :lol: put it out there what else u need.... maybe someone can help out. It is the season for giving....or it was anyway. :?

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Time is what I need the most of at the moment...and some temps that are not in the 20's or below. That really squashes the motivation to go to the shed. I need to send out one valve that started to leak when the other one was repaired, probably do that this week. Also need a seat. Not much. Warmer temps on the way too!