10 wheeler truck body shed

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

10 wheeler truck body shed

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone, I have an old 1970's 10 wheeler truck body I use as a shed. It is not quite weather tight and I have been working in harmony with the resident grey squirrels above me and the wild rabbits underneath. But it gets me out of the house. The rear door slides up out of the way but the cables that assist with that are missing as are the corner mechanisms that would guide the cables to the center mounted spring. The door itself is heavy and has rotted out a bit on the bottom. I am looking for suggestions as far as materials to replace the door panels so I could use the existing roller tracks so that something could still be slid up out of the way but not use anyone else's help to do it.
Thanks
Eric

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 10 wheeler truck body shed

Post by dag1450 »

Pics when u get a chance. Rebuilding the "garage door" would b tough. If not too bad maybe patch the bottom and get the cables working for the weight. Even if u add some garage door springs. Hey ...how about a garage door opener.....
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hey Dave,
Yeah, A garage door opener would be awesome but I think it might be a stretch at this point. I am trying to keep it simple and functional. I have framed out the back with some old 2x6 and 2x8 left over from a project years ago. Maybe even go with a couple of sheets of framed up plywood hanging from hinges for the winter. Just prop them up to get in and out. I didn't know if I got some thin exterior sheet material I might be able to slide it up and down in the existing tracks and not have to worry about springs. Of course complicating the issue is I have less carpentry skills than I do tractor skills and the shed is full of crap! :lol:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Sliding barn type door. Easy to make, full opening, relatively inexpensive.
http://www.natman.com/sub-category/box-rail

Put a 4x4 post off one side of the "shed" to hold the outer end of the rail.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Mike...u thinking like a star trek theme door style? I do like the sounds they made... :lol:

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Beam me up Scotty! Big Mike Thanks for the link, I do have a few of those components somewhere I grabbed from my brother in law when he was cleaning out. I will have to pay him a visit to see if he still has the rails!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Swing doors! Hinges are fairly cheep a sheet of 1/2” ply wood for either side and if you want to make it nice(I would) 1” rough sawn siding. Paint the whole thing barn red and your good for 20 years... of course being the son of a carpenter I’m not the best but I could get the job done! That and having access to the mill at Zagray helps too!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Just for the record....I'm not a star trek nerd...I just thought the sound was cool. And for the record...I still feel repairs to existing door would b easiest. But....but...I have not seen what we r working with. If u can find a brand of the box u have....parts might still b available.....like cables or brackets. Idk

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hey Dave,
I am not a "trekkie" but I would love to have a set of those doors!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

https://youtu.be/Ef6KjffNnv4. I don't have a lot of experience with garage door springs.....but can't be too hard. I should adjust some of mine as they are getting heavier.