"PAY" loader. What does it mean

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

"PAY" loader. What does it mean

Post by dag1450 »

Ok... growing up we called a rubber tired loader a payloader. I never thought about it...that's just what it was.
The other day it was cold and when its that cold I do much more eBay ing. I see on eBay a brochure for a pay scraper. Well this bothered me cause I only knew of the pay loader....lol. So I turned to Google and Google has let me down. I got nothing! I'm thinking International may have coined the phrase but not sure.....and what does pay mean. Does it have something to do with articulating or big tires....
Please put this to bed for me.....
I don't call it a pay loader anymore....I think the proper term used today is just "wheel loader"..or "rubber tire loader"
Any and all thoughts r welcome....
270_71.jpg
270_71.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (335.52 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: "PAY" loader. What does it mean

Post by JMotuzick »

It’s a IH thing!
Someone else might be able to explain better. But I’ll do my best
There was the pay-hauler, pay-scraper, lay-loader is the one everyone’s knows!

It came from hough they had the pay-loader and ih turned that into all the commercial lines. I think the name even went to dresser after the buy out. Another thing about pay loaders, anything made by International Hough or Dresser has the cab in the front. All the other companies have the cab in the back, Behind the articulation point. This includes all the big ones today Deere, Catapillar, Kamatsu etc.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Joe. You helped me find a great article!
Frank G Hough (Huff) coined the phrase for his loader design back in the late 1930s..."the loader that pays". Used to move bulk goods
Man did that ever catch on. Probably cause his design was the only and best one for years...till others decided they need to get in on the action.lol
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Cubgt100
First and Last Name: Bob Brush

Post by Cubgt100 »

0124180802a.jpg
0124180802a.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 3109 times
These machines were made to last forever we have five of them at work and use them daily with correct maintenance I believe they will last forever

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I recently learned babout the pay-lift for lift line too! Backwhen things where built right!