451 blower belt slipage

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
JoeK
First and Last Name: Joey Koenen

451 blower belt slipage

Post by JoeK »

As the title says im having trouble with my belt slipping. its slipping from getting snow blown on the pulley from the chute where it meets the blower housing. i used to have the cover for it but that fell/broke off and well......it's seen better days :oops: .
but even with the shield/ cover on i could still slip the belt due to snow getting on the pulley which gets blown around when moving light snow which makes me wonder if i have the correct belt, parts tree is saying this part number and dimension of the belt 954-0340 5/8 X 84 is this correct for a super?
i did buy some new chute clamps to try get it to seal better waiting for a warm day to do that, currently -12 at the moment
and i am going to have to make a new shield to keep that pesky snow off of the belt.

seems pretty straight forward but figured i would check before i start messing with stuff

thanks, joe
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home
Super LT 1554- has it easy mowing the lake lot

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: 451 blower belt slipage

Post by SWilliams »

That is the correct belt. The only time mine would slip was if the tensioner lever got bent so the spring wasn't tight. I never had a belt cover and snow on the belt had to be a lot before it slipped. I would check the tensioner is flipped and not bent.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

JoeK

Post by JoeK »

i never even gave the tensioner a thought, i will look into that. but i am 100% sure i dont have the correct belt for my super, i know its not 5/8" anyway. i will be ordering the correct one shortly. thanks for the help
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Missed that it was on a super. If it has the drop plates it should have you need the 91" belt. The 84 will be for a non super. What super is it on and what is the serial number of the tractor? That can make a big difference. The 451 is used on the later tractors The tractors before serial number 821,100 use the 450 that has different gearing to match the smaller PTO.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

JoeK

Post by JoeK »

Steve, im glad you pointed me in the belt tensioner direction, it was very bent . so i got that as straight as i could with what i had, it blows a lot better( i can actually push light snow with it) but can still slip rather easy in the crap left by the snow plow. i am ordering a new tensioner spring (i can almost force the pulley back and really make the belt slack) and a 5/8" belt, that should help out a lot. i do have one interesting problem, i aired my front tires up and now my blower wont follow the ground like it did when my tires were almost flat. 1.5 psi in left tire is asking for trouble so i put 15 in both and ran into this problem, do i just adjust my lift arm to allow it to travel lower? never really messed with it before.
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home